The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 15, 2002, 09:13 PM   #1
MJRW

question about my barrell

I just cleaned my 870 express after 60 rounds (10 of 2-3/4" federal slugs and 50 2-3/4" #8) and either there's stuff in there that I can't get out or my new barrell is pitted. I've run a solid 30 patches with shooters choice through it. Sprayed some gun scrub in there. Let it soak, ran like 5 more patches through. And the stuff is either still there or its pitted. Is this possible?
Old December 15, 2002, 09:23 PM   #2
HSMITH

Sure, with the slugs you will have some lead buildup and with the birdshot there will be some plastic.

For the plastic use some brake cleaner. Take the barrel outside or your wife will hang you, and be careful of any painted surfaces. Shoot the barrel out the the brake cleaner.

For the lead use a bronze brush with some lead solvent, or a tight jag and patches with lead solvent.

Personally I wipe the bore down with oil to prevent rust between outings and only deep clean bores every 3-5000 rounds. The plastic will begin to peel itself out of the bore keeping the buildup from growing. If you shoot a lot (over 500 rounds or so) of birdshot shoot the barrel out with brake cleaner to get rid of the plastic before shooting slugs.
Old December 15, 2002, 10:03 PM   #3
RdB

My 870 Express has a rather rough barrel (the inside, that is) Nothing compared to an old 870 barrel I cut to 18 1/2", or the barrel on my Benelli, both of which are mirror smooth.

I also suggest getting a bore brush, perhaps even one of those "tornado" brushes (which have curly bristles) and have at it. A stainless steel brush probably would do no harm either. Brush a lot, patch a little

Another product worth consideration is JB Bore Compound (www.brownells.com). It is a mild abrasive, which will not only remove stubborn fouling, but can help to polish/smooth the bore of that express barrel.
Old December 16, 2002, 05:20 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Pitting is rare on new guns, plastic buildup and fouling is more likely.

Lots of ways to lessen and/or remove fouling. Here's a couple...

SLIP 2000, a newer gun cleaner/lube/protectant, will build up a coating in your bbl which makes the plastic less likely to buildup and easier to remove. This takes a while.

4/0 steel wool, as used in fine furniture refinishing, works on bores when used on a brush, or wrapped around a dowel and pushed up and down the bore. Chucked up in a variable speed drill, the dowel and steel wool gives a 30 second clean, no matter how much stuff has built up in the bore. Keep the revs low on that last. It also polishes a bit.

Scotch pads, as used in the kitchen sink, also work well for degrunge duty. Lube with SLIP, CLP or oil after either of these treatments.

Running a Boresnake through right after shooting will ease cleaning, getting the suff out while still semi pliable.

HTH....
Old December 16, 2002, 09:39 AM   #5
sm

I prefer the trick Dave McC mentioned with the low rpm's and use of OOOO steel or fine Scotch Brite.

Personally wrapping around a NYLON bore brush is easier to remove than from a bronze.

I have a 'dedicated' rods for this, including short ones for chamber use only (old pc of broken rod found with threads) with a larger brush for bore size (10 ga for 12, 12 for 20 etc).