The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2013, 01:11 PM   #1
blw

hand loads duration

I might be asking a dumb question but how many times can I reload my 308 cartrages

Old October 21, 2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Sevens

As little as one, as many as -MANY-, but likely somewhere in between, as it depends VERY VERY VERY much on many factors, including how "warm" you load it, your actual methods of handloading, the platform it is fired in, and the quality of the brass you started with.

There are some generalities we *DO* have a good answer for, however... bottle necked rifle rounds, it is much tougher to predict.

.38 Special or .45 Auto? Figure...as many times as you want, until you lose it (.45) or the mouth cracks) .38 Special, perhaps a dozen or 20 or more, or less.

Bottle neck rifle? Really, you can destroy a piece in two or three loadings, but some folks get a longer service life from them.
Old October 21, 2013, 01:25 PM   #3
tangolima

Between 10 and 20 firings if you are doing things right.

-TL
Old October 21, 2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Bart B.

If the full length sizing dies you use doesn't reduce fired case diameters and set the shoulder back more than a couple thousandths, you can get a few dozen reloads per case if all else in the process is done correctly. I've got as many as 46 and a friend got 57 before we ran out of powder used in the case life test; all with maximum safe, normal loads. No annealing was done at all.

Dies with bushings and no expander balls are best else get your standard full length die's neck opened up to a few thousandths smaller than a loaded round's neck diameter. This eliminates the expander ball moving the neck diameter up after being sized down; brass lasts longer when it's not work hardened.

Another good thing to do is use a case gauge to measure case shoulder setback when sizing; RCBS Precision Mic or Hornady LNL versions. Also don't load hotter ammo than SAAMI spec pressures, Exceeding max loads listed in reloading data is opening the door to problems.

Last edited by Bart B.; October 21, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old October 21, 2013, 07:02 PM   #5
anotherred

Read up on annealing cases.
Old October 21, 2013, 09:26 PM   #6
ballardw

And if you're shooting a bolt gun, neck sizing.