The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 25, 2012, 09:30 PM   #1
TheNocturnus

Overland Park, Kansas Gets Open Carry

It passed today. Voted in at 11 for and 1 against.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-city...z/-/index.html

Personally I feel CCW is better, but to each their own. Regardless, I consider this a victory for gun rights.

Are you an advocate for open carry or do you feel it leaves you at a disadvantage when facing an aggressor?
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old September 25, 2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Tinner666

Congrats for the small victory. When city leaders realize some people get nervous seeing all those guns, move to get approval of CCW.
Old September 25, 2012, 10:47 PM   #3
sigcurious

Hmmmm, I'm a little confused about this situation. It seems KS has a preemption law about OC, which went into effect in 2007. I can't find anything about grandfathering, but if the Overland Park ban was 5 years ago that roughly coincides with the preemption. Either way, it's good to see the town falling in line with the state law.

I don't think it gives you a distinct advantage or disadvantage in regards to a potential aggressor. There's a possibility that maybe you'll be a target because of it or maybe they'll avoid you because it. I don't think there's enough evidence either way to say one happens more than the other. Anecdotally I would suspect you'd find more stories about potential bad guys turning the other way, than some guy jumped me while I was OCing stories. But I don't think those are definitive evidence.

I live in a state where OC is legal and relatively accepted(and technically allowable in more places than CC). I CC because it's generally easier, even though in the times I OC or have been with OC people there's never been an issue.
Old September 26, 2012, 10:37 PM   #4
Mr. James

Let's not make this an argument about the prudence of open carry. Of more concern to me is that Kansas' municipalities can pass a patchwork of local laws that leave residents subject to a thicket of local laws, where on one side of the street you're legal, but crossing the street is verboten.

As a general principle, having decisions made at the most local level possible is preferable, but having a quilt of jurisdictions within a state where "oh, you were legal on that side of the street, but now you've committed a misdemeanor" is entirely wrong.

Of course, I fear that being a federal decision!

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old September 27, 2012, 08:25 AM   #5
KMAX

I don't know if I would open carry if it were allowed in TX, but I would be less concerned about accidentally exposing my CCW. Not that I am really all that concerned anyway since I carry a J-frame or LCP, but it would make it easier for me to carry a larger gun if I wanted to and not worry about exposing.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old September 27, 2012, 11:56 AM   #6
TheNocturnus

Quote:
I don't know if I would open carry if it were allowed in TX, but I would be less concerned about accidentally exposing my CCW. Not that I am really all that concerned anyway since I carry a J-frame or LCP, but it would make it easier for me to carry a larger gun if I wanted to and not worry about exposing.
That's the only real benefit for me in this. I travel to Overland Park frequently and am always carrying. Exposing my CCW accidentally would not be considered brandishing but it may not freak out others since they know that open carry is legal.

I wasn't trying to start an argument whether CC or OC was better, I just wanted opinions.
Old September 27, 2012, 02:43 PM   #7
drail

I'll bet the local LEOs are thrilled about this.
Old September 27, 2012, 02:45 PM   #8
sigcurious

I have begun to wonder something...given the way the law is worded about having to have the safety on if you have one. Does that open people up in KS to be stopped to make sure they're complying with that portion of the law?
Old September 27, 2012, 03:07 PM   #9
TheNocturnus

Quote:
I have begun to wonder something...given the way the law is worded about having to have the safety on if you have one. Does that open people up in KS to be stopped to make sure they're complying with that portion of the law?
Maybe. I would imagine that if an Officer spotted someone OC'ing they may or may not approach them and strike up a conversation and question them about a safety. I would think that it would be within the officer's legal right to do so since it is a law.

I think it's a silly addendum to the law as there are several guns that do not have a safety at all. Glocks come to mind first and they are carried by a lot of people, myself included.
Old October 1, 2012, 09:23 PM   #10
elroyyboy

It'll just drive up prices of high end guns which, along with high end cars, high end houses, and high end spouses, will be a great display of whose is bigger.
Old October 1, 2012, 09:31 PM   #11
TheNocturnus

Quote:
It'll just drive up prices of high end guns which, along with high end cars, high end houses, and high end spouses, will be a great display of whose is bigger.
That is so true. I didn't even think of that. Johnson County is one of the richest counties in America and they just got open carry. I bet there are going to be some preppy types that get guns just to wear them as fashion accessories.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; October 2, 2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: delete slurs
Old October 2, 2012, 06:36 PM   #12
elroyyboy

All
Apologies for my inappropriate comments that have since been removed by moderators. This is not conduct that I should exhibit, or accept from others.

Regards

Elroyyboy