The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 28, 2012, 03:34 PM   #1
jag2

Winchester checkering

Not sure if this is the right forum. I am looking at a Winchester model 61 that has checkering around the pistol grip and the seller is not sure if it is factory or not. Does anyone have a good closeup photo, I don't think it has to be a 61 but something similar that I could compare? Thanks. All suggestions are welcome.
Old February 28, 2012, 03:56 PM   #2
johnbt

I suppose it was available as an option, but I have never seen one.

Here is a used high grade 61 .22 WMR for sale for $2600. I assume it's original. I sort of like the combination of engraving and checkering.

http://www.nwponyexpress.com/firearm...del-61-22-wmr/
Old February 28, 2012, 07:49 PM   #3
30-30remchester

In my decades of collecting these I have never seen a factory checkered model 61. Checkering tools were cheap and there are plenty of talented people out there. Pictures would be nice.
Old February 28, 2012, 09:18 PM   #4
jag2

The rifle is listed on Guns Intl, their item number 100235488 if you want to look at it. I'm not sure I should "borrow" their picture. It looks nicely done and something not too elaborate, kind of what I would suspect from a factory design. If an individual commissioned it I would think it might be more elaborate, but just guessing. I've looked in a couple of Winchester books and they do list it as a factory option but none had any pictures.
Old February 28, 2012, 10:56 PM   #5
HuntAndFish

If it's not factory it has the right characteristics for it. Narrow border outlining and 20 LPI. Very similar to that used on pre-64 model 70 rifles.
Old February 29, 2012, 10:50 AM   #6
PetahW

Winchester never offered checkering on the Model 61 as a either a standard feature or as a factory option. I suppose a Custom Shop Special Order was always a possibiliy - but that should "letter".

ALL Winchester "Deluxe" models, of whatever ilk, never went out the door w/o a pistol grip cap.

As .30-30remchester said: " Checkering tools were cheap and there are plenty of talented people out there."

It might even have been a Winchester factory worker (checkering dept), doing a litle "homework".

Last edited by PetahW; February 29, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old February 29, 2012, 11:58 AM   #7
johnbt

I like the gun. I might even pay that much for it and take it out and shoot it on sunny days.

However, although it could just be the pictures, the color and/or finish on the butt and forearm look different to me. I think I'd pass if it looked like that in person.