The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 29, 2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Remy

Quick help choosing a shotgun...

Alright, so I've always used my father's shotguns when hunting and I suppose it's time to buy my own. Basically I want a good shotgun that will be able to handle pheasants, ducks, turkey and deer. So I've been searching around and found a few good options

1. Browning Gold 12 ga - rarely used $450, 3" chamber
2. Mossberg 935 12 ga - new, comes with turkey and waterfowl barrels $500 at local gun shop on clearance

My big concerns are should I go with the Mossy for the 3.5" chamber for the turkey and long range ducks? Both seem like good deals and both would require a slug barrel. What do you think?
Old November 29, 2009, 12:40 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

If you like well made guns go with the Browning. If you don't mind plastic pieces in the gun and I think the safety is on the back of the reciever, big plastic piece sticking up, then go with the Mossberg.
Old November 29, 2009, 12:50 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
big plastic piece sticking up
Hmmm, I am glad my mossberg was made before they went to the big plastic piece sticking up style. Mine has a very low profile flat plastic piece on the rear tang.
As for the plastic trigger group housing, I haven't managed to break mine nor would I want any metal one if it isn't machined from solid stock. Them cast aluminum pieces are fragile.

Since you mention waterfowl and turkey, I guess the 3.5 inch option is a plus.
Brent
Old November 29, 2009, 03:35 PM   #4
zippy13

Grettings, Remy, and welcome aboard.

Given your selection, I'd go with the Browning Gold.

I wouldn't consider a 3-1/2 inch chamber a plus unless you're going to be using steel shot on ducks. Since you mentioned ducks at long range, then you'll probably want to use high density non-toxic shot (in 2-3/4 or 3 inch shells) since steel isn't know for going the distance. A recent TFL thread indicated that most folks don't like the punishing recoil and have little use for a 12-ga 3-1/2 inch (maxi-mag) chamber.

As is frequently mentioned, the best shotgun is worthless if it doesn't fit you correctly. Try before you buy.

Good luck and good shooting
Old November 29, 2009, 04:23 PM   #5
BigJimP

Of the 2 guns you mention, I would pick the Browning Gold as well. I see very little reason to have a gun bigger than a 3" chamber.

But Like Zippy and others advised - picking a gun is about "Fit" so it hits where you look / not who made the gun. Shotguns don't come in one size fits all - length of pull, drop at comb, drop at heel are different models within the Browning lineup of guns / and vary among mfg's as well. You really need to know what stock dimensions you need. Go back to one of your dad's guns - that you shot the best - and take some measurements or look at the specs of that gun online.
Old November 29, 2009, 05:19 PM   #6
10-96

Someday you'll be an old fart, er I mean 'Gentleman', and you'll think about your weaponry getting passed down to your kids. Personally, I see the Browning as being much more heirloomy.

Plus, a guy I work with is a 6'8" 300lb self professed "heap big feller" and hims decided within 5 shots that his 3.5" chamber was a total waste of his wants and desires. He said something about it knocking the crap out of him.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 29, 2009, 06:19 PM   #7
zippy13

BigJimP,
My friend, I know you have a collection of BPSs, any with the 3-1/2 inch chamber?
Old November 30, 2009, 01:07 PM   #8
BigJimP

No Zippy, mine are all 3" chambers - BPS Hunter models ( one in 12ga and one in 20ga ).. and the old Invector screw in chokes ... both with 28" barrels / but I bought an extra barrel for the 12ga ( a 32" ) if you want to borrow it someday .... The 32" is a little nose heavy ....but for a shooter like you, it'll probably be just right ....

I think that 10ga BPS Hunter I bought in about 1990 - had a 3 1/2" chamber ( but like I said, I took that on one goose trip / and sold it to the guide before I left ..).

I do like the BPS Hunter models with 28" barrels though - nice smooth guns and still fun to shoot once in a while.
Old November 30, 2009, 01:23 PM   #9
45Dave

Gold

Just my option, Browning Golds work well in the field, also darn good on clays course. I have seen many used and they have preformed quite well over a number of years as a range officer at a clays course.
3 -1/2 inch shells...so have you looked at the cost, increased recoil and have you really checked out how many extra pellets that half inch of pain will give you. I kill as many ducks and geese with my 2 3/4 inch rounds as my buds do with a 3 inch.
The gold will be working long after you wear out the Ithica
Just my 2 cents

Tags
browning gold , mossberg 935