The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 7, 2009, 03:54 PM   #1
ptrumble1

Lightest LH 20 Ga. Semi-Auto for daughter re bird hunting

Looking for X-Mas present for daughter and was thinking Benelli, but no LH 20's available. The 12 Ga. has the recoil reduction technology (48%) though. Anybody have any ideas other than Benelli? Thanx for the help
Old November 7, 2009, 04:19 PM   #2
graniteob

Go to the BenelliUSA website and click on Montefeltro, then click on "configurations," then scroll to the very bottom of the listings and there it is. Most folks probably won't stock this model but it can be ordered for you. Able Ammo took care of me and did a good job on getting my Montefeltro Silver in and it was quick. They told me it would take two weeks, but it came in in one week. Check them out: AbleAmmo.com.
Old November 7, 2009, 04:24 PM   #3
Waterengineer

Try to find a Franchi AL48 with 26 or 24 inch barrels. It is the definition of upland carry guns. Albeit, in LH might be tough.

For the record I know where there is a dandy example of a fixed choke model with 24 inch barrel for less than $380.
Old November 7, 2009, 07:50 PM   #4
BigJimP

I like the Benelli Super Sport in 20ga, has the comfort tech recoil system in it, its about 6.2 lbs ( so its awful light ), 28" barrel - and you can buy the optional left hand recoil pad ........ so I think its a good choice / and they are way easier to care for than a "gas gun" in my opinion.

Its the gun I train 2 of my 13 yr old granddaughters with - and they like it a lot. The synthetic stock is cool ....

If that isn't what you want / I would search out a Remington 1100, 11-87 or a Beretta 390 or 391 - that you could shorten the stock on - or buy a 2nd stock for it / keep the original for later as she grows.
Old November 8, 2009, 08:48 AM   #5
Waterengineer

Ya, Jim has a good idea on the Benelli SS but kind of expensive to hand the daughter. I handed her mine and she wanted to keep it. She kept it for close to a year. At that point I had to almost threaten to not pay her tuition before she gave it back. And, I had to promise to remember that it is "her" gun whenever she is around.
Old November 8, 2009, 09:46 AM   #6
Bailey Boat

If you find a LH LT20 I have a youth stock doing nothing but taking up room we could talk about......