The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 7, 2009, 08:06 PM   #1
243rem700

Bedding issues

I bedded my Remington 700 this weekend. It turned out great except when I put the bolt back in to function test everything, it wouldn't turn easily, and then suddenly something broke loose. There was a glob of bedding that broke off in the bolt lug/chamber area. Does the screw hole for the screw that attaches the stock to the action behind the recoil lug go through the action? How could it have gotten in there?
Old May 7, 2009, 08:25 PM   #2
ENC

Well it made it in there somehow. I would just get a set of dental picks and try to get as much out of there as you can. I might be wrong though.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:05 PM   #3
rgitzlaff

Yes, the screw hole is all the way through into the action. I did the same thing when bedding mine.
Old May 8, 2009, 06:01 PM   #4
243rem700

That's what I was thinking, because there is no other way it could have gotten in there. Thanks for your help.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:10 PM   #5
Horseman

It's also good to remember over oiling the lugs or oil running down a barrel after cleaning could end up there and migrate into your bedding through the hole. Now that it's bedded any excess lube will show up on your bedding near the bolt hole if you over oil. I used to over oil and now it's light grease on the lugs and the bore and chamber are dry patched when done cleaning.
Old May 12, 2009, 04:11 AM   #6
PetahW

The bedding compound got into the bolt lug recess through the front action screw through-hole because the tip of the screw pushed it up there when you inserted the screw to secure the rifle in the stock for curing.

There's a couple of different ways to avoid those sort of "corner locks", when bedding compound gets around a sharp edge or corner where it shouldn't and locks something up - usually the metal to the stock.

The first is to fill every single area, where the compound can flow or get pushed, with an easily removed filler, like modeling clay or thick paste wax - which is what I pack into all threaded holes, through-holes or not.

Secondly, to avoid pushing the uncured compound with a screw (the screw(s) should be loaded with unbuffed paste wax), either insert the coated screw B 4 applying the bedding compound (hold it in w/tape from below) so the tip threads are above the wet compound; or use a large clamp to hold the barreled action in the stock while the bedding partially cures (the screw hole can be poked/drilled through the thin bedding layer later).

Old May 29, 2009, 08:44 PM   #7
A/C Guy

Remember to drill those holes for the action screws large enough so there is no contact between the screws and the bedding material or the stock. If the screws are snug in the stock or bedding material, the accuracy will suffer.