The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 24, 2009, 02:02 AM   #1
ECHOONE

best defensive Pistol sights

I'm about to Purchase new sights for my 1911 and have been doing alot of research on the best defensive sights available to date the 2 best and most popular seem to be the HIVIZ or EZ sights with the HIVIZ winning out in popularity only by the slightest of margins.
The edge the HiViz has over the EZ seems to be It's highly contrasting Front sight, but the EZ sight does seem to have a slight edge with obtaining a faster sight picture & is available with Tritium, The biggest drawback of the ez sight from what I have read is people who have used it have claimed they have lost the white dot while aiming if they were sighting behind a white backdrop IE white walls,furniture,curtains
which made me wonder how they might perform up north where there is alot of snow, or perhaps if the bad guy had a white shirt on? Does anyone who has the ez sights care to comment on there experience if any with this type of situation?I also have heard some people have experienced problems with longer distance shooting with the large dot, but was also told that this was more due to improper sight placement then anything else.
I hear JP Industries has come out with a one piece sight that mounts on rear of weapon that there having great success with in afganhastan but it isn't available to the civilian market yet
Old January 24, 2009, 08:32 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

you hear some interesting stuff

Are you searching for night sights?
Fiber optic front?
Fixed or adjustable rear?

I have never heard of or seen any serious social 1911 wearing Hi-Viz sights.......

I have, however, heard of and seen MMC and Novak and Heinie and Dawson and others.