The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2012, 06:42 PM   #1
jproaster

Does distance matter in choosing bullet weight?

I've decided that when i load for my ar15 1 in 7 carbine, that i'll load for 200 yards.

Now I'm still a noob at much of this stuff. So please feel free to help me clarify the issues.

I'm thinking that I'd like to be able to hit a pie pan at 200 yards to feel that the weapon is capable of its purpose. I just picked up an eotech for my optic btw.

So being a 1 in 7 twist, I figure that I'll need a heavier bullet- say 62 or so. But if the distance was 100 yards, would a lighter bullet be adequate? Or is 62 not right even for 200 yards?

thanks

john
Old March 30, 2012, 06:50 PM   #2
mrawesome22

Your twist will handle bullets up to 90gr. Bullets between 75 and 90gr should yield the best accuracy.

Lighter bullets may suffer because of over stabilization (rpm's too high).
Old March 30, 2012, 07:01 PM   #3
huntinaz

I would imagine just about any bullet weight should be minute of pie plate at 200 yards... I think 62gr would be fine to try first.
Old March 30, 2012, 07:03 PM   #4
farmerboy

I go to "Lilja twist chart" on the internet and Lilja recommends the weight for the twist of the barrel and usually works like a dream. Nothing to do with distance. Get the right bullet weight, play with powder weights and then if needed, case overall lenght.
And also remember, an ar shoots great and accurate but they are by no means a snipers rifle. More like a spray and pray.
Old March 30, 2012, 07:06 PM   #5
dacaur

A heavier bullet will be better no matter the range. the upside of a heavier bullet is a higher ballistic coefficient, which is basicaly how easily it slices through the air, its trajectory will be better (flatter) and it will be less affected by wind. The only downside to a heavier bullet is that slower twist barrels might not stabilize them enough, but with a 1 in 7 you dont need to worry about that.

Quote:
And also remember, an ar shoots great and accurate but they are by no means a snipers rifle. More like a spray and pray.
That was definitely true at one time, and probably still is with many of the cheaper ones, but there are some amazingly accurate AR's available today that would put some bolt actions to shame. Many of them are capable of 1/2moa with the right ammo, and almost any AR you buy today will do 1moa with the right ammo...