The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2013, 09:53 PM   #1
OnTheFly

Off and running (ok...more like crawling) with my new Dillon XL650 Setup

Spent the last seven days cleaning out the basement so I can set up my man cave/reloading room. I had already received all the press components except for the dies which were on backorder. The dies finally arrived yesterday, just in time for me to finish my cleaning and set up the reloader.

So I read the Dillon manual and watched some helpful videos online. Two ruined cases (WAY too much flare) and four rounds which I get to use my new bullet puller on (bullet seated too deep), and four beautiful little 9mm rounds with 124gr round nose FMJ bullets...Yippie!

So a question to you experienced reloaders with a progressive Dillon press. I noticed that as the shell plate auto-indexed and snapped into the next station, the powder would be flung out of the case making a right good mess. I don't like mess, so I went online again to see fi this was a common problem and found this video...

http://youtu.be/k08gxu8ajHY

Has anyone tried this, or have a reason NOT to try it?

Lastly, I'm considering an automatic bullet feeder and a Dillon powder check. The powder check would take up my remaining free station on the head, so a bullet feeder would require the use of a bullet seat/crimp die set. Anyone have experience with such a die?

Thanks,
Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old July 26, 2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Vance

That will work (cutting the spring). Some also use this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shellplate-b...item45eecbad24 to smooth out that shell plate snap.

I don't use a bullet feeder, so can't comment on that.
Old July 26, 2013, 10:47 PM   #3
dmazur

From Dillon's site -

We also recommend the use of separate bullet seating and crimp dies for pistol cases. Simultaneous seating and taper crimping of semi-auto cases is not recommended. Why?
Two reasons. First, in a combination seating and crimping die, we have two forces that are opposed to one another. That is, forcing the bullet into the case while trying to simultaneously crimp it in place. A better idea is to seat the bullet in one die and then crimp it in place in another. With semi-auto cases (9mm & .45 ACP) you must use a separate taper crimp die to get reliable ammunition and function from your semi-automatic pistol. This type of crimp is necessary to maintain the square shoulder effect where the brass edge of the case meets the bullet. It is on this tiny shoulder that the functioning of your semi-auto pistol depends. If this shoulder is rounded or roll-crimped, the cartridge may enter too far into your pistol’s chamber and jams will result. On revolver ammunition, where the cartridge headspaces on the rim of the case, this type of crimp is not as important, but once again, by using a separate crimp die, you will obtain better and more uniform bullet seating.

Dillon die discussion

I'm sure there are a lot of happy 650 owners who use combination dies. It should be noted that this can be problematic, costing time for adjustments which might not be necessary with separate seating / crimping dies.

I would use the Dillon system as they designed it, for an extended period, before deciding how it can be improved. Then you will have an experience base to make decisions with.
Old July 27, 2013, 12:45 PM   #4
BigJimP

The issue with the shellplate snapping into position ...is a matter or adjustment...a little tighter on the center bolt / then lock the set screw...and try it again....

you can get it so it won't "snap" as it indexes.

At the same time, without a bullet feeder ...as the case rotates between stations 3 and 4 ...is when I set the bullet on the case ( and I set it about half way between stations 3 ( powder check) and 4 and I ride the bullet and the case as the loader indexes ....and that prevents any "snapping" into positioni as well. You still need to adjust the press....but this is only a problem on low volume cases where you are using a high volume powder.

You can try the other solutions - trimming the spring, putting a washer under the bolt, etc...
------------
Yes, I recommend - and use the powder check die all the time ! Its a great feature.
----------
The bullet feeder to me, is not a great option.../ with the case feeder installed the Dillon 650 will easily load a box of 50 rds about ever 3.5 minutes ...without pushing yourself / and seating the bullets yourself...
Old July 27, 2013, 01:12 PM   #5
snuffy

Well, I don't have a problem with the powder splashing! I use fast burn rate powder in all my handgun rounds, that means the powder charge is only half way to the top of the 9mm, 357 sig, 40 S&W, and 45 acp cases. ((WW-231))

As JimP said, the tension on the center bolt is the key to preventing a LOT of the snapping of the shell plate.

That Aussie that has a problem with powder sloshing out of .223 is using the wrong powder. My powder of choice when loading .223 on my dillon is H-335, or WC-844, both of which are far below the mouth at max charge weight.

I bet he's wanging on the handle to operate as fast as possible. That'll also cause the shell plate to snap. Don't be a gorilla on that handle, slow and smooth ram travel is the best.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 27, 2013, 07:32 PM   #6
OnTheFly

Quote:
That Aussie that has a problem with powder sloshing out of .223 is using the wrong powder. My powder of choice when loading .223 on my dillon is H-335, or WC-844, both of which are far below the mouth at max charge weight.
My cases are only half full and even trying to gently operate the handle will result in some spilled powder.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...