The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 2, 2002, 02:19 AM   #1
rlgarman

Uberti SA revolvers

I just shot a Uberti 45LC with a Birdseye grip. It was great. First time I have shot an old time type SA revolver of any kind. Are they all this good? The action was real stiff and the trigger pull was not the best, but I hit what I was aming at. It was wonderful, I hit a 25yd. gong and then hit a gong at 70yds 5 out of 5! Got to get me a good SA revolver in 45LC! Can I load it up a little for Deer hunting? Are there any factory loads that would meet the Illinois 500 ft/# minimum for handgun deer?
Old December 2, 2002, 08:00 AM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

Ubertis are generally decent pistols, with quirks you spoke of regarding the hammer pull and trigger. You can get reduced power springs that will help with both the hammer pull and the trigger weight. I personally shoot two Uberti 1875 Remington replicas in CAS matches, and have for 4 years. In that time I've had a couple of handsprings break. Some newer SAA replicas have a coil handspring which fixes that weak point.

With that said, if your looking at a Bird's head gripped pistol for hunting, I would suggest one of the new Bird's Head Ruger Vaqueros. They come in .45 Colt, and would easily take the hot loads a hunt might require.
SASS #18308
Range Master- The Cherokee Cowboys & The Shootout at Mulecamp
Old December 2, 2002, 06:51 PM   #3
Biggun Stump

What Bellicose Bill said!

I have two Ruger Vaqueros in SS .45 with 5 1/2 barrels. They're great fun to shoot and some tough to boot!
"I like grumpy old cusses, hope to live long enough to be one." - John Wayne
Old March 15, 2008, 06:03 AM   #4
dmb3006

Uberti Millenium 45LC

Just made a deal on a 45LC single action revolver.I'm also getting a Gun belt with 24 loops and holster.The gun is a Uberti millenium.It shows no use.This is the plain jane model.Cabela's has them on sale for $389.00.I'm getting my whole outfit for much less than that.There is nothing more pleasing than to hear all of those clicks when you cock the gun.I know this gun is going to lead me to that charcoal blue color case hardened model.At the price of factory ammo I'm glad I reload.A set of dies from Lee and some brass from Mid-Way and I'm good to go.
Old March 15, 2008, 11:28 AM   #5
CraigC

A good 250-260gr cast bullet at 900fps will kill the hell out of any deer that ever walked. The question is, how far can you place that bullet accurately with those SAA-style sights?
Old March 15, 2008, 03:11 PM   #6
Tom2

A Ruger Blackhawk with the adjustable sights might be a good comprimise to use for hunting in that cal. You could presumably load it hotter than one of the western replicas, those are usually shot alot with light loads in practical usage for cowboy stuff. They can get out of time with hot loads. I had a Ruger once and the only beef I had was the chamber throats were a bit undersized as compared to bore size. Like, maybe .449 versus .452 bore.
Old March 16, 2008, 08:53 AM   #7
jtaylor

The new Rugers should not be used with those hot "Ruger only loads" . The new Vaqueros are now generally the same specs as original SAA's and don't have the beefy cylinder and backstrap that the old Vaqueros had.
You should still be able to have a "hot enough" load for hunting. I'm sure they can handle around 9 grains of Unique, that should put you around 900fps with a 250gr RNFP.
Old March 17, 2008, 03:25 PM   #8
Mark Milton

Ubertis do tend to shoot tight groups. They generally have good barrels and tightly fitted cylinders.
Sometimes older ones shoot a tad high though.

The hammer and bolt springs are heavy and stiff and a gunsmith who has read Elmer Keiths book Sixguns knows some ways to modify the parts to make it work smoother and last longer.....

To meet the Illinoise deer hunting regs, you may have to use a .357 magnum, which most SAA clone makers chamber their guns for.
In reality most factory .45 colt loads will drop a deer in its tracks better than any arrow, but game regulations people seem to be living on the moon when it comes to the rules they come up with...