The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Colduglandon

Unique Powder and Lee Auto Disk

I use the Lee Auto Disk on my Progressive 1000.

In most cases when I select a powder measure from the Lee Manual, and then weigh the powder to check accuracy its fairly close to the chart, never overweight, right on or slightly under. I have used it on 231, Blue Dot, 2400, Bullseye and H110 and found that to be the case.

However I recently used Unique for some 357 158 gr semi wad cutters. When I used the disk measure for the recommened load and then checked it on the scale, it was way under weight. Has anyone had a problem with the Lee Charts for the Auto Disk when using Unique Powder.

Other than that I have not had a problem with this equipment or the manual.
Old April 26, 2006, 07:52 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Not checked this, but Unique is light and large flakes that don't always drop promptly into a measure cavity. When the disk receives the powder, check that it has time to drop. Tap the hopper lightly to make sure.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; April 26, 2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old April 26, 2006, 08:44 PM   #3
sindiesel666

Smaller cavities and larger flake power like Unique or Clays will definitely cause squibs or near-squib loads. Powder gets "hung-up", for lack of a better term, especially since the Lee hopper usually has small plastic burrs on the bottom, left over from molding. I made mine smoother, but still have ocassional trouble, worst is when I try to pick up the speed on my Dillon 650.

The answer is to find the lowest weight it will accurately throw. For me it's 3.2grains of Clays. So I usually load at the cavity (.53 hole) that's suppose to measure 3.6 grains. It meters between 3.3-3.4 grains, very consistent. Makes major PF with 230gr lead RNs.
Old April 26, 2006, 08:56 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Paul,

I should have asked what ballistics you are trying to achieve? I use Unique for reduced rifle loads (firelapping, in particular) but gave up on it in pistol because anything but a near maximum load didn't seem to get hot enough to burn very completely. I wound up switching to single-base Vihtavuori N310 for light loads and N320 for the middling to full-house .45 ACP loads. Cleaner in reduced charges.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 26, 2006, 09:24 PM   #5
Leftoverdj

It ain't just the Lee. Like Nick says, the large flake powders do not meter well in small doses. This tendency gets worse when the cavity is narrow or very shallow. Ideally, the cavity should be about as broad as it is deep, but most designs don't allow that.
Old April 27, 2006, 09:38 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Unique is a well-known problem in many volumetric powder measures.

That's one of the reasons I stopped using Unique.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 27, 2006, 09:47 AM   #7
MADISON

UNIQUE Powder and LEE AUTO. DISK

UNIQUE Powder and LEE AUTO. DISK
I got my "old" Hornady Projector press back in 1989. Found I needed a measure that dropped powder automaticlly. I went with Lee's Auto. Disk measure. I have 6.
Yes, there is a problem of excess powder with any powder you use.
I conted Lee and they gave me the run around. I put up with the over-flow.
Old April 27, 2006, 08:27 PM   #8
Colduglandon

Unclenick

For me the study of ballistics is hitting the paper.

I read the recommended loads, minimum to max, and load sets of rounds across the range. Whichever load gives me the best group with a given gun, thats what I go with.

What everyone has said makes sense. I have used Unique before for jacketed ammo. Those loads called for a bigger charge of powder and a larger cavity in the measure. Maybe thats why I did not notice the problem when I tested the loads with the scale, or maybe thats why I missed the targets on the silhouette range because I was not aware of the problem. (Gives me a whole new set of excuses)

I think I will finsih up the Unique I have and move on to another powder more suitable for my powder measure.

Thanks for the input.
Old May 1, 2006, 03:31 AM   #9
BILLY D.

paul

unique did not trip my trigger, no pun intended, and i switched to hodgdon universal clays for any application that unique was mentioned. u/clys is a great powder imho.

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR.....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

HAPPY TRAILS, BILL

NRA LIFE MEMBER-1965

THE THREAD KILLER
Old May 1, 2006, 05:19 AM   #10
qajaq59

Unique

I use Unique as a light load for cast bullets in my 30-30, but I have stopped trying to use it with my powder measure. I just use a scoop and a scale now. It isn't going to measure right anyway, so I end up weighing all the loads either way. Using the scoop is just easier then knocking squib loads out of the barrel.
Old May 5, 2006, 12:29 AM   #11
MrApathy

using the new unique and its throwing nearly as good as powerpistol. I get the occasional -.1 throw.

I have had a way worse time getting Hodgdon Universal to throw right on. out of PowerPistol,Unique,Longshot,Titegroup,VvN340,WSF
Hodgdon universal has thrown the worse for me and my autodisk pro.
Vv N340 throwing the best.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old May 7, 2006, 10:18 AM   #12
dogfood

Paul:

I haven't used Unique in several years. But, in general, I have found that some powders don't always drop the same as Lee predicts. As you noted, some are very close, but others are under. I have yet to find one that goes too high ... and I'm guessing that Lee has set up the data tables to err on the low side, which would be the safe approach.

Anyway, this is not particular to big flake powder, as others have noted. My Lee powder drops consistently 10% lighter than predicted with Accurate Arms #5 using most cavities. Now, AA#5 meters like a dream. So I figure that either AA#5 has changed since my data was created, or there is an error in the Lee data, or the my Lee disk cavities are out of spec.

Regardless, powder scales are indispensable.

dogfood