The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 13, 2005, 08:46 AM   #1
Mr. James

What's wrong with this picture...

From the Fairfax Co., Virginia Police. Hmmmm. What was this guy thinking?

Four assailants. Suddenly, my 5-shot J-frame is looking fairly anemic.

"A 24-year-old Centreville-area man was robbed at gunpoint. On Wednesday, March 30, at 10:30 p.m. a man was walking behind his home in the 14300 block of Saguaro Place. He observed four men standing at the end of the town homes. As he walked by, three of the men displayed guns and demanded the victim’s wallet, while the fourth man pulled out a knife. One of the men removed the victim’s wallet and keys from his pocket before the
suspects fled. The victim was not injured. (The victim delayed reporting this incident because of his language barrier.)

"All four suspects were described as 6 feet tall and weighing approximately 170 pounds. They were wearing bandanas over their faces, baggy blue jeans and dark-colored jackets. Two of the four suspects were described as black. Additional suspect information is not available.

"Anyone with any information about this incident or these suspects is asked to call Crime Solvers at 1-866-411-TIPS (8477) or the police non-emergency number at 703-691-2131."

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old April 13, 2005, 08:59 AM   #2
brickeyee

Condition white, and the sheep walks to the slaughter.
At least it sounds like no serious injuries occured.
If this turns out to be a gang related thing, the gangs may be in for some bad surprises in Virginia. Taking more than ~$10 from a person is a felony, and there are a lot of armed citizens.
Old April 13, 2005, 09:01 AM   #3
swjr72

For starters he should have avoided 4 strangers at 10:30pm at night while alone.
Old April 13, 2005, 09:12 AM   #4
RWK

I live in Fairfax County, although not close to Centerville. I would guess this is MS-13 related.
Old April 13, 2005, 10:16 AM   #5
dolanp

I agree with others, if you see four shady individuals in the direction you're walking, especially at night... walk the other direction immediately!
Old April 13, 2005, 01:04 PM   #6
Twycross

It's almost amazing how this kind of thing happens again and again and still people do not wake up to the fact that they need to be prepared, or at least alert. Will the sheep never learn?
Old April 13, 2005, 01:20 PM   #7
Duxman

Hmmm....Let me think, 4 men @ 10:30 pm, "They were wearing bandanas over their faces", on the street.

Perhaps not walking towards them would be a good start. This guy should consider himself lucky that he did not get killed or seriously injured from this incident.

I would probably call 911 from a safe distance if I noticed 4 guys wearing bandanas on their faces. Thats the safety of a cell phone.

Manassas is kinda shady. If I have to go visit after dark, perhaps an extra magazine would be prudent.
Old April 13, 2005, 01:22 PM   #8
Avid Concealer

Who is to say that he was able to avoid it? You guys are just making assumptions. I realize that it says that he walked by them, but still I wouldn't make assumptions based on so few facts.
Old April 13, 2005, 02:49 PM   #9
fwcofficer

While it goes without saying, I would try to avoid them also. I would also like to note that if 3 men with guns were asking me for my wallet, even if I had my gun, I would still give them my wallet without a challenge. The odds are not in your favor against 3 people who are just as armed as you are. If, and thats a strong if, I felt my life was truely in danger, I would seek cover quickly, and then ready my weapon.
#20 Tony Stewart
Old April 13, 2005, 02:52 PM   #10
FrankDrebin

If he hadn't spent his whole paycheck on fast women and slow horses, he wouldn't have had to make up that story so his wife wouldn't kill him or make him pay child support after she kicked him out the house.
Old April 13, 2005, 03:27 PM   #11
eka

Sounds like the countless other reports of "robberies" in housing complexes. Guy gets ripped off trying to buy drugs and then reports a robbery some time later. Kinda like the muggings in the red light districts.

That's probably what's wrong with this picture.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Old April 14, 2005, 10:49 PM   #12
Archie

Frank,

You beat me to it.

Three men with bandanas over their face and guns. They take the victim's wallet and keys and then fled. Fled? From what?

That's what's wrong with this picture.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old April 15, 2005, 04:17 PM   #13
Twycross

Quote:
Fled? From what?
Maybe from being identified? Or maybe they feared the police would come by?
There are all sorts of reasons. Criminals are not known for hanging around the scene of their crime.