The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 23, 2009, 05:47 AM   #1
IrvJr

sling carry for over under shotgun

Hi All,

I have a Browning Cynergy Over/Under Shotgun (Cynergy Field) that I use for both clay games and hunting. It's got 26" barrels and it's a handy and lightweight gun (26" barrels).

I currently do not have any sling swivels installed on the gun. However, I was thinking about using a sling to carry the gun while I hiking into or out of the hiking area.

Does anyone have any experience using the type of slings that do not need any swivel studs on your gun? These are the kind that slip over the pistol grip and over the barrel of your gun. Would this be a secure method of sling carrying an over under?

At the moment, I don't I want to install any sling swivels on my stock and foreend, but I would like the convenience fo having a sling for porting the gun.

Thanks in advance.
Old October 23, 2009, 08:08 AM   #2
Doyle

I used one on a pump. They work fine on the stock end. The problem is on the barrel end. The strap tends to cover up too much of the view to the bead.
Old October 23, 2009, 09:09 AM   #3
kentucky_smith

I use the kind that just slide on and off for my turkey gun. I use it when walking in with my hands full and take it off when I'm setup.
Old October 23, 2009, 01:33 PM   #4
zippy13

Just slip one end of your sling around the barrel and through one of the gaps under the rib, and it won't be too noticeable when shooting. As you carry, make sure the load is carried by the barrel, not the rib.