The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 18, 2013, 10:21 PM   #1
FinalJenemba

New Member and New Shooter Just Showing Off Burgeoning Collection

Hi all! Just wanted to introduce myself and post some pictures of the beginnings of my collection. Still pretty new to all this, not much gun experience besides learning how to shoot a .22 when I was younger, but I inherited my old .22 and my grandfather's shotgun a few months ago and the addiction has hit me like a steam train

Pic of my long guns, with descriptions of each underneath from top down:

First is my Model 25 .22 Marlin, it's labeled a Glenfield. Not sure what year but it's in pretty solid shape. It originally belonged to a family friend before he died when I was a kid, this is the gun I learned to shoot on and it's been so much fun shooting it again! The scope is a recent addition.

Second is a Remington Model 1100 20g. It was one of my Grandfathers deer hunting guns and the only object he left me. Not sure how old it is, it was in my moms house for 10 years after he died till one day she called asking when I was ever going to pick up my shotgun, had no idea she had it lol. I pretty sure he owned it for at least 10 years before he died. He was super anal about his guns and it's in almost unfired condition. Don't plan on shooting it much, it's worth more to me as an heirloom but I did take to to the range and it performed flawlessly.

Third is my 1943 Mosin-Nagant Ex-Sniper. This is the first gun I picked out and purchased myself. Pretty sure it was issued based on the condition and the wear on the rifling but im not an expert by any means. By far my favorite gun to shoot, so much fun!

Last is my Mossberg Maverick 88 Security 12g I bought as my home defence gun. Took it to the range for the first time and the damn thing almost dislocated my shoulder! Ordered a limbsaver for it and will have to practice allot more with it before id even consider leaving it loaded for a defence situation.

Also just bought this guy, a Tokarev TT33. Really wanted to have the right sidearm to go with my Mosin lol. Have a little experience shooting revolvers but this will be my first semi-auto, super excited! No CWL yet so it's at the store still, pick it up Friday. It's so clean im pretty sure it was unissued.

The bug has hit me hard, not sure where to go from here but im really enjoying the WW2 stuff! Thanks for looking and let me know what you think!

-Ben
Old April 18, 2013, 11:32 PM   #2
SHE3PDOG

Cool guns. I too was bitten by the WW2 weapons bug a while back. If that is what you are really interested in, I'd suggest moving forward in that direction. Weapons from that era have pretty consistently grown in price for most of their history, so you don't have to worry about buying a brand new AR15 only to have its value drastically reduced after firing it. Milsurp ammo is still really easy to find, so that is a plus as well. Firearms like that have so much history; they are a great conversation piece. Plus, they are just freakin' cool.

Anyways, regardless of which guns you chose to spend your money on, I hope your armory continues to grow. Welcome to TFL.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old April 19, 2013, 07:17 AM   #3
cecILL

Hello, nice start you have there.

Won't hurt to shoot the 1100.
Old April 19, 2013, 10:50 AM   #4
lcpiper

You should take that 1100 out Dove hunting. Picture going hunting with a few friends. You get out to where there is a decent sized water hole or two, you are standing a good ways off from everyone else, but mostly you guys have that hole surrounded.

In come the first birds, three from your left. They are initially small black specks that are growing quickly in size as they come winging in. Just as they start taking on more definition, becoming a grey color, your friend a little close on the left pops off a couple of shots and one bird folds up it's wings and plummets to earth. No time for that now, the other two birds jink left and right then both turn right into you.

You lead the first, squeeze, the shotgun bucks against your shoulder and the bird drops, one left, you sight in quickly, bang bang, and down he goes. Three birds for the pot. You go pick them up, wring their necks to be sure, and drop them into your game bag.

You'll be cleaning about 25 of them later that evening as you drink a beer, tell jokes with the other hunters and tease any unfortunate enough to have done something that remotely warrants ridicule but only good natured teasing. The kids will come around and poke at the birds and ask kid questions with their endless curiosity. And then you'll sit down to one good meal with friends and family.

Or you could just let that shotgun sit on your wall.
Old April 19, 2013, 01:08 PM   #5
FinalJenemba

Haha that does paint quite a picture

Im not entirely sure if we have doves if Florida, or a least my part (Tampa Area). We sure do have allot of seagulls though lol. Seriously though if I ever do any shotgun hunting it will be my go to. I don't think my Grandfather would have wanted it just sitting its whole life.
Old April 19, 2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Rodger_p

Nice rounded collection. You'll have to get you a Nagant revolver while they are still resonably priced. It'll go well with the Mosin and Tok.