The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 16, 2013, 10:34 PM   #1
5.56RifleGuy

Got a Tavor on the way. . .

Just excited and had to share. My freind at the gun shop called and told me he was able to get a hold of one. I dont have to pay gunbroker prices ether. I'm going to be able to grab it thursday. Cant wait!
Old April 16, 2013, 11:00 PM   #2
armoredman

Green, I am green!
Old April 16, 2013, 11:09 PM   #3
5.56RifleGuy

Maybe you can taunt me when you find one cheaper because you were patient. Lets hope they do production better than kel tec.
Old April 17, 2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Hiker 1

I dig those! I'm looking forward to your range report.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:12 PM   #5
jjyergler

Let us know.

I really want to see a range report. I am jealous...
Hi Standard Supermatic Citation .22LR - Tincans Beware
Old April 20, 2013, 08:47 PM   #6
Chowder

I just saw one at the range today when I was sighting in my AR. I was meaning to go over and talk to the guy about it, but he left before I wondered down to his side of the range.
Old April 21, 2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Mrgunsngear

I've had one for a while
Old April 21, 2013, 07:15 PM   #8
5.56RifleGuy

I love the way the bolt release is right near the mag well. Makes mag changes super quick.
Old April 21, 2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Achilles11B

I'll need pics, a range report, then bring it to my place so I can give it a run-through myself. Thanks.
Old April 28, 2013, 09:28 AM   #10
Logs

Question

Question??? I will start that I have yet to see one in person, but what makes this gun so much in demand?
Is it because it is new?
Cool looking bull pup?
Do you think company will stay in business?

...... I only ask because I bought an STG MSAR 556 second gen. Cool looking but after the initial hype issues came up. Scope height too low, then they pulled them all together and went with just a rail. Mag catch issues, mag issues, and the customer service issues followed by bankruptcy.

What makes the Tavor different? Or will time only tell??? Or is there big backing?

MSARs were over $2K. But then in the end they were sub $1k?

Just wondering....
Old April 28, 2013, 10:17 AM   #11
tobnpr

Quote:
Question??? I will start that I have yet to see one in person, but what makes this gun so much in demand?
Is it because it is new?
Cool looking bull pup?
I think yes, to all the above.
No experience with it, but the reports I've read have been positive.
The STG supposedly (you would know) had real issues with slinging brass in your face when shooting off the left shoulder- and the Tavor's effective buffer eliminates that problem.

IMO, if one wants a semi-auto 5.56 for self-defense, this is as close as you're gonna get to a SBR-length CQB weapon without the SOT. I see it more as a niche market for that application, as opposed to a range or "sporting rifle" platform.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old April 28, 2013, 10:31 AM   #12
Pilot

They look pretty cool, and from what I read shoot well. IMI makes good stuff.
Old April 28, 2013, 11:52 AM   #13
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Is it because it is new?
Cool looking bull pup?

I think it has a lot to do with the specs of the rifle and that it's been used by a military that is often found on 2-way ranges so it's been tested in some rough conditions and has proven to be a great rifle. The US version is a little different, but pretty close to the Israeli one.

I like mine so far
Old May 4, 2013, 10:50 PM   #14
eman

I think Israel Weapon Industries is in a different league than Microtech, they should have stuck with what they know and thats knives.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:00 AM   #15
Skans

I really wouldn't mind having one of those!
Old May 6, 2013, 06:17 PM   #16
MP-44

Is the Tavor better than the M4? If not, why did the Israelis go to all the trouble and cost to replace their free M4s?
Old May 6, 2013, 07:23 PM   #17
Bart Noir

I can understand Israel not wanting to be without a local military rifle source. Perhaps they do not want to stake national existence on the good will of the US of A.

And the Tavor is shorter. I cannot say if it will be more reliable or more accurate at 450 meters or any of the other things that an army might want.

Bart Noir
Old May 7, 2013, 08:57 AM   #18
Skans

Quote:
Is the Tavor better than the M4? If not, why did the Israelis go to all the trouble and cost to replace their free M4s
Look how compact those things are - I bet barrel length is about the same as an M4. They do look a lot like the Aug to me; I would like to know what the actual differences are between the Aug style guns and the Tavor.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:10 AM   #19
Fishbed77

Quote:
Is the Tavor better than the M4? If not, why did the Israelis go to all the trouble and cost to replace their free M4s?
Per Wikipedia:

"The TAR-21 design was created by Zalmen Shebs, with the express purpose of creating a weapon more suited to urban combat than the M16/M4 carbine."

Being much more compact in length than the M4/M16 is no doubt beneficial in the urban combat that Israeli forces so often find themselves in (and is also quite useful for getting in/out of the confines of vehicles). Other than that, I doubt there is any other huge advantage over the M4.

That said, adoption of the Tavor has a LONG way to go before it fully replaces the M4/M16.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:48 AM   #20
5RWill

I've been absent for some time when did these become readily available? Let us know how it goes

As for it replacing the M4/M16 as fishbed said it's a long long way away from that. It's not just a question of better weapon system here but does the Gov't really want to spend all that time and money required to replace the existing weaponry for something that does the same thing.

I've never fired a bullpup and always thought prone would be much more difficult with a 30rd mag positioned at the butt stock. I have pulled the trigger on an FS2000 and they still have a long way to go.

Overall i've just grown very fond and familiar with my DI ARs.

Last edited by 5RWill; May 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old May 7, 2013, 03:16 PM   #21
Fishbed77

Quote:
As for it replacing the M4/M16 as fishbed said it's a long long way away from that. It's not just a question of better weapon system here but does the Gov't really want to spend all that time and money required to replace the existing weaponry for something that does the same thing.
Just to clarify, the Israeli military HAS adopted the TAR-21 as their standard infantry rifle (back in 2009). But adoption has been slow (the design has been around since 2001), and there are still large numbers of M4s still in Israeli service.

I'd love to have one, for sure. It seems to be one of the most well-thought-out bullpups on the market, and has over a decade of development behind it at this point.
Old May 7, 2013, 08:45 PM   #22
5RWill

True i was just talking about the U.S. though has the Tavor even been considered for trials here?

Agreed it is a well thought out bullpup i'd like to try it and the steyr AUG A3, though i think i like the AUG A3 for it's aesthetics
Old May 7, 2013, 11:41 PM   #23
Fishbed77

Quote:
True i was just talking about the U.S. though has the Tavor even been considered for trials here?
No. It has never been considered for US service and is not a competitor in the Individual Carbine competition to replace the M4.