The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 6, 2009, 08:48 PM   #1
murphjup

Hog Hunting Spot Light??

Looking for a good hog hunting spotlight either gun/scope mounted or hand held for some night time hog hunting... on some private land here in Florida...

Something for maybe at least a 100 yards or so...

Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance!!

Old February 6, 2009, 08:49 PM   #2
luvsasmith

What about the million candlepower spotlights that can be found at Lowe's for $10.00?
Old February 6, 2009, 09:53 PM   #3
bswiv

This will sound a little off base but the fact that a light is the brightest one you can find does not make it the best one for the job. What you will find is that on nights with very high humidity the brights lights will often bounce back so much light at times so as to be almost useless. On those nights a lower output light will be nice to have as a option.

Another thing to consider is that in some instances very bright lights may agitate the animals while a less bright one might not bother them and still give you enough light to shoot.

Can't give you any advice on whether a colored light would be better than basic white. Sees that red and green spook animals less but all my night lighting experence is on the water with gators and I would think hogs respond differenty than gators.
Old February 6, 2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Smokey Joe

Night-light...

Cabela's handles 2-3 models that attach above yr 'scope. Wherever the gun looks, the light looks. There is a switch that sticks to your rifle's fore-end.

I've used a hand-held spotlight for hog hunting--it's awkward IMX. One more darn thing to be handled, pointed, and aimed.

--Smokey Joe
Old February 6, 2009, 10:57 PM   #5
luvsasmith

that makes a lot of sense bswiv, hadn't thought of the humidity issues. spotlight hunting is illegal around here, except for Coyote and other "bad" animals. I guess hogs would fall under that category in some parts.
Old February 6, 2009, 11:00 PM   #6
birdshot

if your are baiting..

an idea i have had for years is to attach a flood light to a corn feeder with a motion sensor and a rheostat so the light would come up slowly when the motion sensor has been tripped.

i am not currently in an area where there are hogs so i haven't followed through on the idea. i keep bringing this idea up when i see a night hunting hog post hoping someone would assemble and market the light.

the beauty of the idea is the light would let you know when you have a visitor, and you would not need a light on your gun as you could easily see into the light with a scoped gun.
Old February 7, 2009, 12:48 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

gun and light at night in florida, on private land requires a special consideration permit... with out it you are in full violation of the gun and light law.
Brent
Old February 7, 2009, 08:02 AM   #8
murphjup

Thanks, Hogdogs... How do you get such permit?
Old February 7, 2009, 08:57 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

myfwc.com permits is a link on the site
I have not read what you have to prove to be granted the permit but IIRC crop damage or livestock loss may a couple details they want to see...
I never went after one yet.
Brent
Old February 7, 2009, 09:09 AM   #10
murphjup

Here's the Link

Brent,

Here's the link for your reference...

http://myfwc.com/permits/glnpermit.htm

Thanks for your help...

Old February 7, 2009, 09:40 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

No prob man...
I remember why I never worried about it... No coyote removal jobs going. I run dogs on hogs cuz it is, overall, in general, far more productive.
Brent
Old February 7, 2009, 09:43 AM   #12
murphjup

Well we hunt this property often, but latley the hogs haven't been out at sunset, so we were considering doing some night time hunts.... but not now unless it is a nicely moonlit night...

Thanks for the info, Happy Hunting to you...
Old February 7, 2009, 05:39 PM   #13
SavageSniper

Hogdogs is 100% correct about the regs. You need a permit to spotlight any land critter in FL. If caught you will lose your light, gun, truck if it is with you, a couple grand and probably community service if its your first offence. From what I hear, good luck getting the permit.
Old February 14, 2009, 10:07 PM   #14
bswiv

You do have to have a ligitimate reason for the permit. Friend raises birds ( To sell. ), swans, geese, peacocks, that sort of stuff, and he got one. Had a nocternal predator killing a number of his birds.

It was not a lot of trouble for him to get a permit. To hunt the hogs you may have a harder time...............