The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 9, 2013, 12:21 AM   #1
cogito

Paypal High Capacity Policies

I'm not sure where to post this question... but maybe someone who reads this thread will have the answer.

Paypal prohibits transactions related to high capacity magazines. But I couldn't find what THEY mean by it.

It could be:
- any capacity not permitted in any state (so now with NY, >8)
- any capacity beyond what the manufacturer includes with the gun purchase (e.g. a Sig P226 comes with a 15-round mag)
- any capacity beyond what the manufacturer sells for their firearm (e.g. Sig also sells 20-round mags for the P226).

Also, does anyone know how they respond if they find out that a high capacity mag was sold using their service? Does the buyer or seller get banned? Do they just terminate the transaction?

Thanks.
Old February 9, 2013, 01:27 AM   #2
62coltnavy

Why does it matter? Use something other than PayPal, since not only are they starting to ban assessories (just like EBay), you can't use it to buy guns either. Since they don't support your 2A rights, screw 'em.
Old February 9, 2013, 02:54 AM   #3
jason_iowa

PayPal is a horrible company I would not use them for anything.
Old February 9, 2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

I presume you're referring to this.

Paypal has a long history of not wanting to facilitate sales of guns or gun parts through their service. This is nothing new.

It's their service and their rules. They can enforce it how they choose.
Old February 9, 2013, 09:35 AM   #5
CDW4ME

Support pro-gun business
Look on Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, Midway, for magazines & stuff
Pay with a money order, check, credit card or non-paypal method
Old February 9, 2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Rifleman1776

I use PP because it is a good business and a great convenience for online transactions.
I do not like their anti-gun stance. But, sadly, they are no different than many-many other corporate entities in the U.S. We would handicap ourselves trying to boycott all anti-gun companies. I would if I could, but it just isn't practical.
I have sold and purchased gun related items and paid, or have been paid, via PP. Simply list the item as "merchandis" and the snoop computers will not intercept the transaction.
Old February 9, 2013, 11:57 AM   #7
cogito

I sent Paypal the question (using a different email than the one linked to my account). Here's their robo-reply:
Thank you for contacting PayPal’s Compliance Department. We have received your email and will update you when your account has been reviewed.

You can check the status of your PayPal account at any time by logging into your account and visiting the Resolution Center.

We may try to call you about your account, so please make sure that the primary phone number on your PayPal account is correct. Here's how to update your phone number:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.

2. Click "Profile" near the top of the page.

3. Click "Update" beside Phone.

4. Select the phone number you want to change.

5. Click "Edit" and make your changes.

6. Click "Save."

Sincerely,

PayPal Compliance Department

PayPal, an eBay Company

Please do not reply to this email address as it is not monitored and we will not receive your response. You can get in touch with us by clicking "Contact Us" at the bottom of any PayPal page.

----

If that's the best they can do, I see myself as having latitude to interpret their policy -- If they somehow flag the sale, I can tell them that I tried to get help. The mags, after all, are factory mags, but they are above the CA (and now idiotic NY) limit.
Old February 9, 2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Willie Sutton

Who cares what their policies are?

Use PP if it makes your life easier. Don't use it if it doesn't. It's just a tool.

Put down "purchase of merchandise" and forget about it.

Willie

Old February 9, 2013, 02:31 PM   #9
hermannr

I don't think PayPal, or Ebay are overly anti anything.. I think it is more that they do not want to ever possibly be caught up in "enabling" an illegal transaction.

While "one size does not fit all" ever, trying to keep up with local law is very difficult and very expensive. I think this is their real point.

Compare how much bad publicity "Craig's List" has had, V how much bad publicity Ebay has had?
Old February 9, 2013, 08:59 PM   #10
tmorone

Didn't Paypal go all anti-gun right after the VA Tech shooting? I remember reading in the news that the shooter had purchased his magazines through Ebay/Paypal and they took a lot of flack for it.

Right after that you couldn't purchase or sell once fired brass on Ebay either.
Old February 9, 2013, 11:57 PM   #11
jeffreyulatan

I actually had a problem with this when I tried to post some relic 20rd M1A magazines. I was told that it's against their policy. Their policy only allows Magazines under 10 rounds to be listed and sold.
Old February 10, 2013, 01:18 AM   #12
Edward429451

Just don't use them. Simple. Do bill pay through Western Union. It only a couple bucks.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:49 PM   #13
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Paypal is a private business and may conduct its business in any lawful manner it chooses.

As there is no question of Law or Civil Rights, this thread is closed.
Closed Thread