The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 15, 2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Glenn E. Meyer

NYC to streamline gun permits

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/15/ny...15guns.html?hp

Interesting in that it might be pre-emptive move against a Heller like attack on NYC rules. Does it mean that guns will be more available? It would be interesting if waves of folks started to apply.

Is this going to have unintended consequences?

I caution posters that if you start to rant about NYC in general, personal rants against the players - you will be toasted. Stay on topic if you want to discuss.

GEM
Old May 15, 2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Linked Article
One change outlined on Friday is geared toward transparency by having the police “offer more detailed examples of eligibility standards for a permit, and make the additional examples available both in print and online,” according to a news release from the mayor’s office.

Other changes include speeding up reviews of applications, reducing how many in-person visits new applicants must make, expanding ways to pay for license renewals and opening the Police Department’s licensing offices one evening a week.
These are the "changes"?!

What a joke!

So they're going to make denials faster and more convenient. How sweet.
Old May 15, 2010, 10:36 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Well, that's nice.

However, considering who is running NYC (and the historical MO of the bureaucracy), I think the "changes" will be merely cosmetic, not actually something to allow more citizens to get permits.

NYC is a great place for some foods and entertainment, but if you like to own and use handguns, while it may not be the absolute worst place, its way up there on the list. I had a NY State permit back in the 1970s, not valid in NYC, and it took 5 sets of fingerprints, 4 photographs, 3 character references, and a couple months of wait. And that was for mere posession and open carry only! And only the guns listed (by make, caliber, bbl length, and ser#) on the permit could be posessed!

And on top of that, nearly 30 years after I had left NY, they tracked me down, and sent me a letter stating that, since I was no longer a NYS resident, they wanted the permit BACK! YES, the little card! And, they wanted to know what happened to the guns listed on it! I thought that just a tad obsessive. And that was from an "upstate" county!

I doubt that the move by NYC is anything more than smoke and mirrors, intended to make us think they are doing something good.
Old May 15, 2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Glenn Dee

Smoke and mirrors...

I dont believe anything will change.
Old May 15, 2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
“If I were working for the mayor in New York, in the legal department particularly, I’d be saying: ‘Are we sure we can defend these laws? Are there things to do, ahead of time, that will make it easier for us to defend them?’ ” said Paul Helmke, the president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. “I would be surprised if that were not the thinking.”
So would I. After Chicago's ban falls, New York's permitting requirements are ripe for a lawsuit.

Cost and application requirements can easily be proven to be an undue burden.
Old May 16, 2010, 07:02 AM   #6
blume357

yes, but it will take another suit if not more and the only folks

that win are the lawyers. Kind of sad.
Old May 16, 2010, 09:41 AM   #7
MikeGoob

No, lawyers arent the only folks who win.
People in chicago (and other oppressive districts) who have their rights restored win. Yes sadly lawyers get paid gobs of money for what should be plain and simple but its also the case when people file for divorce.
Old May 16, 2010, 10:16 AM   #8
mete

Bloomberg, the guy who changed the law so he could avoid term limits ? You think he's going to do something nice for gun owners ? Dream on !
Old May 17, 2010, 11:08 AM   #9
Don P

I have to agree with 44AMP on this. As long as the current mayor is in office IMO he will do everything in his power and beyond to see that nothing changes.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:20 AM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P
As long as the current mayor is in office IMO he will do everything in his power and beyond to see that nothing changes.
The only part of that I disagree with is that it's not really "the current mayor". Nothing of (positive) consequence has changed in NYC in DECADES.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:27 AM   #11
aroundchicago

Note in the New York Times article, the fee is $340.00 plus $94.25 for a fingerprint fee. So, your Second Amendment rights will cost you $434.25 in New York City.
Old May 17, 2010, 01:41 PM   #12
hagar

<<And on top of that, nearly 30 years after I had left NY, they tracked me down, and sent me a letter stating that, since I was no longer a NYS resident, they wanted the permit BACK! YES, the little card! And, they wanted to know what happened to the guns listed on it! I thought that just a tad obsessive. And that was from an "upstate" county!>>

You are kidding? I too have a NYS handgun permit from Monroe county, which btw do not have an expiry date. Had to jump through the same hoops you did. I left NYS in 1989 for AZ, and the 2 handguns I had on my permit was long since sold or traded. Any communication from them I will treat with contempt, and either will not comply, or act like I have alzheimers.
Old May 17, 2010, 01:53 PM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

Not to be a nervous nellie, but if they want you to officially cancel - do it.

Wny, you never know what comes back to bite you. I moved to TX and let my OR drivers license lapse as I got a TX one. A few years later, I get a notice that my car insurance is canceled as I have NO license. The OR folks turned me in for not renewing!

It was exciting to get my insurance back, I had to go up through the hierarchy of the company to get someone who would listen.

Anyway, it's fun on a gun list to say this or that. But if you don't have to start a potential problem, don't.
Old May 17, 2010, 02:32 PM   #14
WoofersInc

Quote:
Smoke and mirrors...

Exactly. It's like watching a magic show. Hey! Hey! everybody look at the scantily dressed girl and the fireworks while the magician does his thing where nobody can see.

I expect that this is just a distraction because Bloomberg has something else planned.
Old May 17, 2010, 04:23 PM   #15
vranasaurus

Quote:
Note in the New York Times article, the fee is $340.00 plus $94.25 for a fingerprint fee. So, your Second Amendment rights will cost you $434.25 in New York City.
After McDonald incorporates the 2nd amendment I think NY and NYC's gun laws will be challenged and the excessive fee will be one of the things challenged.

It's really not that different from a poll tax if you think about it.
Old May 19, 2010, 05:55 PM   #16
Nickel Plated

I live in NYC now and am wondering if when the McDonald case is decided in our favor whether it will really have any impact on NYC? I mean the case doesn't seem to be about open or concealed carry being readily available to citizens. Just the fact that the Second and thus the Heller decision applies to state and local governments. So really NYC will likely do the same thing DC has done. "Well it is technically legal to own and carry a pistol in our city, don't mean we are going to make it easy for you." Concealed carry is already "technically" legal in NYC....but not really. Never mind about open carry, then it would be a choice between leave the gun at home and get shot by a criminal or openly carry and get shot by a cop.

But for now, we have streamlined the system so we can reject you faster than ever. :barf:

Oh well at least bows and arrows are still unregulated as far as I know so I can shoot those. Not very effective for self defense though. As far as weapons technology is concerned, the average NYC citizen is about 400-500 years behind the rest of the nation
Old May 19, 2010, 06:01 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I live in NYC now and am wondering if when the McDonald case is decided in our favor whether it will really have any impact on NYC?
It won't have any effect at all until someone challenges the law in court. Probably only the NRA has the financial resources to make that happen. Regardless, it will be YEARS before you see any real change.
Old May 21, 2010, 03:03 PM   #18
WoofersInc

Quote:
It won't have any effect at all until someone challenges the law in court. Probably only the NRA has the financial resources to make that happen. Regardless, it will be YEARS before you see any real change.
Exactly. mcDonald will only say that the 2nd applies to the states. It will be the resulting lawsuits at the state level going after individual laws that will make things change.

I expect that Chicago will have to be sued again to change anything using McDonald as the reason for the second lawsuit. Daley of course will spend millions of taxpayer money fighting it for years.

Bloomberg will also fight for years using the taxpayer dime in the process.

I find it absolutely stupid that politicians can use our money to fight to take away a right from us...
Old May 21, 2010, 04:17 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I find it absolutely stupid that politicians can use our money to fight to take away a right from us...
How about we pass a law saying that any public funds that are used to fight for a law that is found to be unconstitutional must be repaid by the parties responsible for passing the law?

That would liven things up a bit!
Old May 21, 2010, 06:28 PM   #20
vranasaurus

Quote:
I expect that Chicago will have to be sued again to change anything using McDonald as the reason for the second lawsuit. Daley of course will spend millions of taxpayer money fighting it for years.
SCOTUS will incorporate and then remand it back to the district court for them to rehear the case.

Last edited by vranasaurus; May 21, 2010 at 06:36 PM.