The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 10, 2008, 01:53 AM   #1
littlmak

Competition

So, I'm watching a nature show a while back about predators. The narrator stated a bear could smell the blood of a wounded animal and track it down from a mile or more away. I would imagine a wolf or coyote might too. Many times I see footage of these animals challenging each other for the kill. My question is this. Have you ever been surprised or challenged by another preadater while field dressing or hauling your kill back to camp/ car etc?
Old September 10, 2008, 04:01 AM   #2
HOGGHEAD

Elk

I have a friend who lost an elk to a grizzly in Montana once. He said they were not in any hurry to get the elk out, and about two hours later the grizzly claimed the kill. And that was that. It was a cow elk.

I have another friend who lives in Green River, WY. He is an excellent elk hunter. He told me you have about an hour to get an elk quartered and out of there. If you do not get it out then it will be claimed by a bear. Another friend of mine went to WY to hunt with Dave a couple of years ago, and he ran into a grizzly on horseback. He did not have any encounter with the bear, but he admitted that it scared him a bit. Tom.
Old September 10, 2008, 05:13 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Never so much as felt I was being watched... cept junior lickin' his chops when I am butcherin' a small weiner piggy. He loves to pork overdose on them. Grill a 15-20 pounder and he will eat about all of it in one sitting. He will then spend most of the next day sittin' in a different room:barf: but claims it was worth every second to eat that delectable treat.
Brent
Old September 10, 2008, 09:09 AM   #4
deanadell

Nope....not while hunting.....fishing is another story. Many times I've had sharks take my catch wawy before I got it in the boat.
Old September 10, 2008, 09:16 AM   #5
camper4lyfe

My parents just bought 5.5 acres in an area with an increasing black bear population. I'm curious to see how much bear activity is there, and I'm hoping I don't have any issues with my deer.
Old September 10, 2008, 09:36 AM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
and he ran into a grizzly on horseback.
Wow, grizzlies on horses!
Old September 10, 2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I believe it was in The American Hunter that I read that some grizzlies have learned to move toward the sound of a rifle shot, identifying it with food. I can see how this could begin, if a grizzly is downwind of the kill. First the bang, then the smell of blood. After a season or two with several such events, there is an educated bear.
Old September 10, 2008, 10:12 AM   #8
HOGGHEAD

Grizzlies on horses

Scorch you got me on that one. And I do not care what anybody else thinks, that is funny. Tom.
Old September 10, 2008, 10:18 AM   #9
camper4lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Eatman
I believe it was in The American Hunter that I read that some grizzlies have learned to move toward the sound of a rifle shot, identifying it with food. I can see how this could begin, if a grizzly is downwind of the kill. First the bang, then the smell of blood. After a season or two with several such events, there is an educated bear.
In the Eastern High Peaks region of the Adirondack State Park, if you camp over night, you're not allowed to hang bear bags. Instead, you're required to carry bear cans because the black bears have actually learned how to cut the rope used to hang the bags due to the high traffic of that area.

Bears are smart, especially given enough time and opportunity to learn.
Old September 10, 2008, 11:49 AM   #10
davlandrum

Has anyone heard of Black Bears trying to claim a kill?

I know it happens with Grizzly (or Browns, or Kodiaks). I would be very surprised to hear of a Black Bear doing it.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 10, 2008, 06:35 PM   #11
kraigwy

I think there are more problems with human preditors trying to take someone else's game.

Reminds me of a story of a lady who shot her first cow elk, she runs up all excited to see a guy fooling with her kill, she starts jumping up and down and screaming "THATS MY ELK, THATS MY ELK".

Guy says "take it easy lady, soon as I get my bridle and saddle off it, you can have it."
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 11, 2008, 05:01 PM   #12
shortwave

Thats a good one kraigwy. Don`t know of black bear taking a meat kill but I have heard of a black bear running deer bow hunter out from under an apple tree. Seems as though hunter bated around apple tree with bushel basket of apples in bow season. Bear must`ve been used to feeding on apples when they where recently on trees. Bear let hunter know who the apples belonged to.
Old September 11, 2008, 05:55 PM   #13
Jack O'Conner

Years ago, my brother and I were field dressing his buck out on the open prairie when a foul tempered badger showed up. He growled a couple times and made himself appear tough. But not tough enough - a .243 bullet sent him to oblivion.

Many times, coyotes hang back just out of rifle range when we're shooting a dog town. They hear the shots and that's their dinner bell.

Jack