The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 18, 2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Slugo

oldtimers should like this one...

1926 Parker Brothers VHE 16 gauge SxS. Recent acquisition, should be fun to shoot in some vintage cup events...

it's been re-stocked, no checkering. I'll fix that...

Old May 18, 2012, 04:56 PM   #2
BigJimP

Nice Find ....congratulations...
Old May 18, 2012, 05:35 PM   #3
oneounceload

If you're flipping, let me know. I have a friend with a thing for old Parkers

PM with details
Old May 18, 2012, 05:52 PM   #4
Slugo

1ozL already flipped...
Old May 18, 2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Slugo

1ozL, here's another one I picked up and flipped. 1936 12 gauge, 30" Fox Sterlingworth SxS. Nice shooter and allot cheaper than a Parker...

Old May 18, 2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Freds484

nice
good luck with it and enjoy it.
Fred
Old May 19, 2012, 07:07 PM   #7
oneounceload

Slugo - one friend has a 1904 Parker he shoots and another has a 1929 - one was redone be Del Greco, the other is original but looks like Turnbull worked it over - both of these guys know, appreciate, and buy these on a regular basis - let me know if you get any others at 98% or so
Old May 19, 2012, 11:21 PM   #8
LaRenegade

Location: Cane River Country of Natchitoches, Louisiana.(North Central La.)
Happy memories with a "FOX", new member!

Thanks Slugo, for bringing to mind some great memories of mine when seeing the picture of the Fox SxS! I started hunting @ age 5 carrying a Fox SxS 410ga with a cut-off stock. Squirrel season opens here in Louisiana the 1st weekend of October and I had that sweet handling little charm laid across my legs every morning I could that fall of 1968. Remaining there waiting on sunrise just after my "Uncle Freddie" left me by myself, I sat leaned against an oak tree in Kisatchie National Forest hearing the sounds of strange mysterious beast and 'Bigfoot' lurking, and that little shotgun kept me secure until I saw the monster really making the noise was a Fox Squirrel! I managed to bag that squirrel with my first shot and I have been so thankful every second since then that my uncle and grandfather taught me how to shoot and hunt. I used that Fox SxS 410ga for 2 years learning to hunt then grandpa got me a Browning Sweet 16 and the Fox was passed down to my next brother and brother after him. Since then my 2 nephews & neice in order started hunting at age 5 with that same Fox SxS 410ga shotgun.

I am always watching out for another 410ga like that one, or any other gauge. They have become harder to find nowdays. Still can close my eyes and fell one in my hands, nothing else compares to a double barrel IMO.

So thanks again and hello to all you primer poppers out there.
LaRenegade

"To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people
always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young,
how to use them..."--Richard Henry Lee,
Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic(1787-1788
)
Old May 20, 2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Hunter Customs

Beautiful gun, the old Parkers are hard to beat.
I was at a farm sale yesterday, they had a real nice old Lefever, it went cheap, less then $400.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old May 20, 2012, 11:06 AM   #10
wildfan

Dang Slugo, now I might have to get a SxS as well as a O/U. Beautiful gun you posted.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:16 PM   #11
PetahW

There's nothing like those late-20's Remington-Parkers !

I once had a pristine 16ga VHE Skeet Gun (about 10 years ago) in 98% condition w/full case colors & with just about all the options: straight-grip buttstock to a checkered butt, Miller single trigger, beavertail forend, ejectors of course,
28" skeet-in/skeet-out choked bbls; that I got in an even swap for a new Grade I Browning Model 42.

The dealer ( ) I swapped with didn't value it very highly ($800) due to an unpopular ( to him) gauge & that it was in such good condition he thought it a refinish (it wasn't).

I kept it for a few years, but couldn't resist selling it to a fella willing to give over a year's wages (at the time) for it.

Old May 20, 2012, 01:16 PM   #12
Slugo

no doubt, they're interesting guns with some real history behind them. I have a fairly good source of supply, but just turn around and sell them...