The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 29, 2012, 03:06 AM   #26
BIG P

I used to carry a bag of Gator nuggets when hog hunting but they gave Me gas & its hard to hunt when your laughen like a fool.

Thats funny right there & TRUE!!!
Old March 29, 2012, 06:21 AM   #27
Saltydog235

Quote:
I'm developing an overall "picture" of you right now…
You'd probably be suprised how off you are too.
Old March 29, 2012, 07:33 AM   #28
Doyle

Home-made jerky and trail mix. I've been wanting to convert some of my jerky into pemmican.
Old March 29, 2012, 10:40 AM   #29
603Country

Wow, you guys have certainly opened my eyes. All these years all I've taken to the woods in the morning is coffee, and sometimes a banana. In the afternoons the most I'll ever have is water. Obviously I have to rethink my hunting preparations.
Old March 29, 2012, 11:56 AM   #30
L_Killkenny

I've taken lots of diffrent things in the woods over the years. Jerky (venison or Jack Links) is always prime, so are slim jims. The small peanut butter and cheese crackers are good and walmart/sam's club trail mix comes in a wide varity for minimal cost. There's almost always a Mountain Dew in the daypack or coat pocket.

Anymore I don't eat much during the day even on work days. Sometimes my first meal of the day comes at 4 or 5 o'clock. So spending a day in the woods without food isn't much of a big deal and I rarely take munchies anymore.

On a side note I worked with a guy and we were both trappers. He had a partner at one time but it didn't work out. Everytime he turned around his partner had his fingers in the bait. Sardines.

LK
Old March 29, 2012, 01:07 PM   #31
rickyrick

Going that long w/o eating is very bad for you killkenny.

I did that for years, without going into detail, its just bad. Just helping you out.
Old March 29, 2012, 01:38 PM   #32
Pahoo

Ghosts of the past !!

Quote:
I've been wanting to convert some of my jerky into pemmican.
Whoa, haven't gone thar, for a long time. Use to make it a long time ago and it was mighty tasty. Packed it in an old snuff can and would pick it out, just like snuff. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 29, 2012, 01:44 PM   #33
dayman

I bring licorice root to chew on, and maybe a couple power bars if I'm going to be out all day.
Old March 29, 2012, 01:44 PM   #34
jmr40

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/iss/oh.html

These are the best I've found. We buy them by the box to get discounts and use them for meal substitutes. They are loaded with protein and are very nutritious. Not just a candy bar. They are very tasty. Many of the protein/energy bars I've tried taste awful. Very often I use 1 bar to substitute for 1 meal a day.
Old March 31, 2012, 09:27 AM   #35
okiewita40

I usually drink my coffee on the drive to the hunting area. In my pack is usually 4 to 6 20oz bottles of water, maybe a couple of peanut butter sandwiches, a sleeve of saltine crackers and a small bag of corn chips. Can always light the corn chips to start a fire in an emergency.
Old March 31, 2012, 07:37 PM   #36
phil mcwilliam

I just got back from 7 nights camping in remote Alpine country in Australia, deer hunting & trout fishing. We woke at 5 every morning & once the fire was going we'd all have coffee & muesli bars for breakfast. In our packs we each carried a bottle of gatoraide a couple more muesli bars & a couple of chocolate bars that would last us stalking all day until we returned to camp around 3 every afternoon. We'd cut firewood for half an hour then put on the roast vegetables in the camp oven & BBQ some sirloin steaks washed down with a fine red wine & a couple of beers, ready for the next day.
Old March 31, 2012, 08:50 PM   #37
shortwave

^^^I just got back from two nights driving through the Bronx/Harlem, NY area in a 53'er drinking Gatorade , eating pretzels and prayin my load didn't get hijacked....somethins not right with this picture.
Old April 1, 2012, 07:55 AM   #38
PawPaw

You guys are amateurs.

One buddy of mine, (he was about 20 years older than I, but we were great hunting buddies) always packed a nice lunch for the both of us to eat on the tailgate of the truck during the lunch hour. Generally, it was something like ribeye steak, sliced thin and served on a hard roll, with steamed asparagus warmed over a small campfire. A variety of sliced cheeses as palate-cleansers, along with either coffee or tea, depending on weather.

Nowadays when I'm hunting with the grandkids, I generally carry in my hunting sack a big bag of trail mix, along with beef jerky. Our lunch break is a variety of cold cuts with good bread and soda from the cooler. If we're going to the camp for lunch, then we'll generally make biscuits, grill sausage and chicken on the wood-burner and if we're lucky one of the ladies will make a white gravy. We can always count on Bobby to have a pot of beans on the fire. Sometimes I'll drag out the Dutch oven and make a beer bread to go with the beans.

When you're hunting, there is no reason to eat like a starving hippy.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 1, 2012, 09:52 AM   #39
Pahoo

Life is never fair but pretty darn good !!

Quote:
somethins not right with this picture
Well, come to Iowa as I just pulled a batch of of Spring-Bullheads, out of the smoker. These might keep the Ganstas away for a couple of days. The neighbors know when I smoke these as the smell lingers. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 1, 2012, 11:32 AM   #40
HALL,AUSTIN

If its a multiple day escapade we are after I will have to ammend my rations. I hunt with one of my buddies and we usually hunt coyote, opossum, and other small pests. We pack a 6pack of ramen each, 1 gallon of water per day, whatever coldcuts are on sale at the grocery store, and a loaf of fresh baked bread from the bakery dept of tge grocery store... Workin at the grocery store sure has perks to it

Last edited by HALL,AUSTIN; April 1, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old April 2, 2012, 12:53 PM   #41
sc928porsche

Thermos of coffee and a sweet roll on the way to drop off. I take with me a canteen of water and a pouch with an apple or orange that is attatched to my belt. Pick up time is usually between 11 and noon. Eat lunch in camp and back out by 3 and back to camp a little after dark. There are occasions where it is drop off in morning a pick up in evening. For those, I take an extra apple or orange.
Old April 2, 2012, 01:59 PM   #42
FrankenMauser

Jerky, nuts, crackers, Twizzlers nibs (also comes in handy for low glucose, if you are hunting with a diabetic), etc...

Our primary source of venison is Pronghorn Antelope. Since you end up with a lot of burger (compared to other big game), we tend to turn quite a bit of it into jerky. On most hunts, you'll find 3-5 good sized pieces of Antelope jerky in my pocket ....right up until I start to smell like an Antelope. Then, I stop eating it for the rest of the hunt.
Old April 2, 2012, 03:26 PM   #43
SurplusShooter

For hunting in a stand just a bottle of water and maby some jerky or an apple. But for a bird hunt, stalking, or a drive a bottle of water mabey a gator aid and some jerky and maby a candy bar or small sandwich. Walking around and hunting or dragging out a deer on an empty stomach is no fun.

Last edited by SurplusShooter; April 6, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old April 3, 2012, 06:11 AM   #44
stevelyn

Dried salmon and Sailor Boy pilot crackers.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old April 3, 2012, 06:32 AM   #45
hooligan1

Actuall I don't carry anything on opening morning,, but my kids do, and I help em load up on junk like lil debbies and such,,, a chub of deer bolongna, some ritz (whole wheat of course) and some water.
Fellas the only food I love to carry is after we go to the local buffet and what I can't finish at the table I scrape into one of my big cargo pockets and snack on it the rest of the day,,, I'm not talking mashed potatoes and gravy stuff man,,, I'm talking Home made Yeast rolls and Country ham chunks the size of a box of .223 rem shells,, and choclate chip cookies,, yeah that kinda snacks!!!
Old April 4, 2012, 12:13 PM   #46
ltc444

When ever I go into the woods I carry a basic survivial kit. For snacks I carry a trail mix made up of Instant Oat meal with rasins, nuts and powerded milk. i will eat it raw as a snack. In a pinch the trail mix can be made into oat meal and makes a hot meal if I get stuck overnight.
Old April 4, 2012, 02:27 PM   #47
Scubasimmons

Fun Size snickers (hopefully frozen, but that's weather dependent) and jerky.
Old April 7, 2012, 09:17 AM   #48
BigMikey76

I still have yet to go on my first hunt, but I plan to take the same as when I go all day fishing (minus the beer, of course!) - peanuts, jerky, some hard candies, a thermos of coffee if it is chilly out and plenty of water. I try to avoid fruit cause too much of it does bad things to me... I'll spare you the details
Old April 7, 2012, 09:32 AM   #49
rickyrick

I hear guys say they rip the back-strap out and eat it right there....which causes my eyebrow to raise.
Old April 7, 2012, 09:36 AM   #50
BigMikey76

^^^ Deer Tar-Tar?