The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 26, 2004, 06:31 PM   #26
Jeff Gonzales

It is simple

Quote:
What is necessary for one to prevail against a well trained, experienced and determined attacker?
A well trained, experienced and determined defender.

I usually get asked this question in every class. The recent class in Denver I tried to provide a different prespective. Imagine jumping out an airplane. I was privileaged to work under one of the best in the business and he use to comment before our air operations that "You are dead, until you pull your ripcord." It made perfect sense, everthing up until that moment was subordinate to actually saving your own life. You can have the best gear, the best training and the best circumstances to effective a positive response, but if you don't do it, then it really doesn't matter.

So, the moral to this story and I hate to sound cliche...just do it. Hopefully, you will do the right thing.

Later,
Old October 26, 2004, 07:17 PM   #27
claude783

Advoid dark alleys, step softly, keep your eyes down, but be like a coiled spring;

When they feel you are not a threat, strike, strike, and strike again, don't give up, shatter bones, rip out eyes, rupture ear drums, smash testicals, stomp on the top of the foot to break bones, pick up the heaviest object you can swing and attack, attack, attack...

No normal man wants to fight, but if the fight is unadvoidable, be ready to kill!

Will you survive?

I don't know, each man faces their own mortality, perhaps if it is destined for you, you can leave the world a little cleaner...take out the garbage, turn off the lights!
Old October 26, 2004, 09:17 PM   #28
AJ Peacock

Question: What is necessary for one to prevail against a well trained, experienced and determined attacker?

Answer: Good Intelligence and an overwhelming pre-emptive strike.

Otherwise your playing from a weaker/defensive position.

Pray to god that they underestimate you and your response.

Later,
AJ
Old October 27, 2004, 07:11 PM   #29
ncodemus

From my experience of being a tournement martial artist for about 10 years, if you are attacked by someone untrained/unprepared, and are untrained yourself, the defensive position is best. When there are two untrained combatants the defender seems to have the upperhand, however, if one is trained, or both are trained, the offensive is more reliably victorious. So if your up agianst a well trained attacker, slow your thinking, don't get blinded by the moment, and refuse to go down. But the most important thing is to be aware, you'll be surpirsed of what you are capable of when you have the presence of mind to survive while the adrenaline is pumping. And at that point, fighting is the last thing you want, you want a way out. Fast.
Old October 27, 2004, 10:07 PM   #30
45 Fu

1. Proper mindset
2. Proper training
3. Proper tool(s)
4. Dumb luck
Old October 28, 2004, 11:56 AM   #31
Mike Spight

Expanding upon his earlier post, another thought, learned from Jeff Gonzalez: "Master the fundamentals and execute them faster than your opponent".