The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 1, 2013, 12:38 AM   #1
Doc41

New AR-15 Lower, but where to go from here?

I just picked up a milspec AR-15 lower with internals and an ACE stock. I've been trying to figure out what upper I want to put on it. I already have a Ruger SR-556, so I was thinking about getting a .458 Socom or a .300 AAC Blackout for a little more power. Then I started thinking another .556 upper would be good because I have all this .223 ammo anyhow and both could shoot the same ammo and I wouldn't have to make the investment in a new caliber.

Oh, what to do? This lower is begging for an upper and I can't decide what to do. I'd appreciate some ideas with reasons for your choice. Thank you in advance.
Old January 1, 2013, 01:08 AM   #2
Quentin2

I'd stick with 5.56 unless you have a good reason to go to another caliber. I wouldn't buy just any upper during the panic buying. Have patience and hopefully the right thing will come back in stock.

I'd take advantage of the waiting time to do lots of extra research and know exactly what I want when things ease up over the next month or so.
Old January 1, 2013, 02:16 AM   #3
NWCP

I'd mount a 6.8SPCII upper on your lower. Number one, you may still be able to find one and number two it'san accurate and harder hitting round. I hunt with mine. It's mounted on mt RRA LAR15 with the two stage trigger and shares the lower with an RRA 5.56 upper. I had it for some time now and have very pleased with the performance and reliability of the system.
Old January 1, 2013, 03:35 AM   #4
Marquezj16

^^^^this^^^^
Old January 1, 2013, 09:33 AM   #5
Mobuck

At this point, there's not much 300aac ammo available and no more brass being sold on GB. What was listed jumped to almost double last week. With this in mind, if you're not a reloader willing to form your own brass, you're not going to have much ammo.
I haven't checked the 6.8 lately but expect the same. One advantage with the 300 is 223 mags work.
If you have a 16" AR I'd suggest getting a 20" and vicie versie.
Old January 1, 2013, 10:34 AM   #6
SnowTrekker

Well, one way to get at the problem might be to think about the kind of shooting you do with the AR you already have, and whether you might want add a different capability with the new upper. For example, you might want a longer range capability with the new one. Or if you are looking to hunt with it, what size animal, and does that require a heavier caliber? Do you want something that is more accurate for competition purposes with a stainless barrel, tighter rifling twist, and free floating handguards?

If you don't reload, then it makes sense to stick with ammo that is widely available--which seems like zero right now. You mentioned having a lot of .223 already, so that makes it practical for you to stick with that caliber.

I am intrigued by the .300 AAC BLK, but that is because it is a heavier round that uses the same magazines.
Old January 1, 2013, 10:41 AM   #7
UtopiaTexasG19

There are individuals who manufacture 300 Blackout brass that is generally for a good price. Go to 300blktalk.com and you can find there names there. I re-load for the 300 Blackout and love the heavier loads for under 150 yards.
Old January 1, 2013, 10:47 AM   #8
CTS

6.8SPC ammo is becoming pretty common, I have seen it on Wal Mart shelves in a number of stores. It has become much more popular than the .300AAC or at least by the availability of ammo that seems to be the case. It is out of stock right now due to all the panic buying but so is .223 or 5.56x45. They will come back around when all the excitement dies down.
Old January 1, 2013, 10:56 AM   #9
ritepath

PSA has mid length 6.8's in stock.

Bolts and magazines may be another problem for the 6.8 right now.

My plan it to add a 6.8 upper to my safe so I'll have a good hunting round for next season. I've been meaning to buy one for a few seasons but the 300blk caused me to put it off this year. The 300 still sounds like a pretty good limited distance round and there's still an outside chance I may get one.
Old January 1, 2013, 06:34 PM   #10
FALPhil

PSA is showing 5.56 uppers in stock.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ped-upper.html