The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 1, 2007, 07:25 AM   #1
chuckmatlock

SOG seal pup elite knife

does anyone have one? I wonder if you are happy with it, I've got one coming in the mail and wondered about opinions on it.

Chuck
Old October 1, 2007, 09:06 AM   #2
dwatts47

had one for a little over 2 years.... awesome. IF you dull it, a 10 sec quick sharpener will bring it back to razor in no time. Checkered handle is HARD to let go of, and its the only thing that i "LIKE" finger grooves one.

ENJOY.
Old October 1, 2007, 11:02 AM   #3
FirstFreedom

I've got the Seal pup, and it's a pretty good knife, but I don't like it as much as I thought I would. It's grippy but not AS grippy as I'd like. It doesn't seem to me to stay sharp very long, but that's an unscientific anecdotal observation which could be wrong.

Errrm, wait a sec - I'm not sure if mine is the "elite" version or not - all's I know is it's a SOG Seal Pup.
Old October 2, 2007, 10:24 PM   #4
Murdoch

Depends on what you want it for, at least IMO. It's got a RAZOR-sharp blade, and a point like a needle. I bought it for an all-purpose knife, but it's just too thin for my tastes for a "work" knife. It stays stashed as a "bump-in-the-night" knife.

Maybe due to my scouting days...I like a work knife to have a thick blade, to stand up to hard use and things you're not supposed to do with a knife. That said, it will cut anything you put it to. Decent sheath...nice grip and guard. Great knife really, just a bit delicate for really hard use.
Old October 4, 2007, 12:03 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Another thing I don't like about it is the open area of the sheath where the blade is exposed, for use without unsheathing. Cool idea, but this knife is very hard to get out of the sheath - it takes a firm tug, and if you do not have it on your belt - if you are holding the sheath in your off hand, it's very easy to slice up your finger on that opening.
Old October 4, 2007, 10:29 PM   #6
Murdoch

Yeah, I've seen those...mine is older, "pre-cord cutting notch," if you will. Like I said, it's a bad little knife, but not as utilitarian as I had hoped. I don't buy sheath knives anymore much that aren't "work" knives, since a concealed sheath knife is a no-no in GA. All my carry knives are folders.

CRKT M16Z, Spyderco Rescue Jr., Benchmade Mini Ambush, CRKT 14K Summit are my main EDC blades.
Old October 16, 2007, 04:57 PM   #7
dberry

SOG SEal pup elite

The SOG seal pup "elite" model has a slighty thicker blade, spine rasps and redesigned handle. I have had the original seal pup for 4 years now and it has been used from everything from a hammer to a CC knife to a throwing knife. It looks quite beat up now but it is still as useful as the day I got it. It takes an edge well and carries well plus it is a good valued knife at $95 MSRP(I think). If I had a choice I would get the "elite" model though the original is great.