The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2015, 08:44 PM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

what bullet to use

If you had your choice to get Speer, Hornady or Barnes bullet to hand load them to your specific load, which would you get. These loads will be somewhere between a 38 special + P and a 357 mag 140 grain load . All will be Hollow points.
The 2- 357 mags are a Rossi 2" and a EAA Windictor 4 ". Please everyone, we're not discussing whether these revolvers are good bad or ugly. All i'd like is what each of you would recommend what load you would you would go between a 38 sec. +P and 357 140 grain HP for SP? This is question 148.
Thanks,
Doc
Old January 10, 2015, 08:59 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

I would be between Speer Gold Dot, and Hornady XTP.
Probably work up loads for both, and see if there is any accuracy difference.
But, leaning toward the Gold Dot (but it would be 135 gr.) If the extra 5 grains is important to you go with the Hornady.
As far as Barns, I'm not convinced. I don't run lead free!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 10, 2015, 09:12 PM   #3
Wreck-n-Crew

I'm with cheapshooter and would leave nothing to chance and use the Speer or Hornady. Right now I have nothing but XTP's in 9mm and 45 with the exception of some factory Critical Duty ammo in 9mm.
Old January 10, 2015, 09:17 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I would be between Speer Gold Dot, and Hornady XTP.
But, leaning toward the Gold Dot (but it would be 135 gr.)
Cheapshooter covered it for me too.

Note: 135 GDHP SB's are extremely hard to find; and Hornady 140 XTP's are plentiful.
Old January 10, 2015, 09:37 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Note: 135 GDHP SB's are extremely hard to find; and Hornady 140 XTP's are plentiful.
Right, didn't mean to send Doc on a wild goose chase.
The Hornady XTP will provide everything he is looking for.
Old January 10, 2015, 10:19 PM   #6
skizzums

it's very hard to find any of the cool .38 bullets in stock right now. I would like to see the Sierra JHP sportsmaster 140gr and even the nosler 140gr. even the standard Remington half-jackets are out of stock or discontinued. I think the barnes are probably awesome bullets, but I will never know due to the 80c a bullet cost.

looks like you may be stuck with either hornaay or barnes at the moment. they will probably start pushing out pistol bullets more when spring comes around though

http://www.onlineshootingsupplies.co...ow-point-100ct
found these, only 125gr though, but may be more suited to a snubby more than a 140gr. I am not much for heavyweight from "2 or less barrels, they don't get the speed to reliably expand. but if your rocking 3" barrels or more, go as heavy as you please. www.grafs.com will be best place, but they don't have a ton of choice right now
Old January 10, 2015, 11:29 PM   #7
mmb713

For SD my first choice would be Speer Gold Dot followed by the XTP at a close second. I have no interest in loading Barnes bullets. You don't mention which powders you are considering for your mid-range 357 loads.
Old January 10, 2015, 11:47 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

I checked the "usual suspects" in reloading supplies, and the Hornady 140 XTP are available at all of them.

Quote:
You don't mention which powders you are considering for your mid-range 357 loads.
And therein might be the real problem if he doesn't have suitable powder already on hand.
Pistol powder has been as difficult to find as 22 rimfire ammo!
Old January 11, 2015, 12:32 AM   #9
Dufus

For a really good performing bullet in that caliber, the Hornady FTX 140 gr is a hard one to beat.
Old January 11, 2015, 04:37 AM   #10
skizzums

powder isn't a problem for him. he has H110, Lil' Gun, IMR4227, titegroup, hp38 and hs6 all available to him. not to mention some thers, like 2400 I think
Old January 11, 2015, 10:06 AM   #11
Mike / Tx

Between the choices mentioned I also go with the Speer and Hornady in that order.

I have simply used the Speer's probably 5-1 over the Hornady bullets in my handguns with excellent results on both target and game. Not saying that Hornady doesn't make a very fine bullet, but you asked which ones for my loads.

For powders I would look into the mid to slower burn range, like HS-6, AA-5 or 7, maybe 2400. The 110 will give you a huge muzzle flash as will 2400 but at least with 2400 you have a wider range of loads to work with. The AA powders are very low flash, in my experience, in comparrison to the others, more of a dull orange glow, than a bright white flash. The HS-6 would probably work well also but I haven't loaded much if anything using it and jacketed. All of the loads I use it for are with my 45 Colt and lead.