The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 28, 2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Amsdorf

M1 Carbine Funnin' and Gunnin'

How many of you have, and love, the M1 Carbine? It's by far one of my most favorite guns to shoot. It is remarkable light, and easy to shoot, and a real joy to maintain. Just wish the ammo was a bit less expensive. [I know, I should reload!].

Here's a video I made of my 1944 Inland, WWII era M1.

http://youtu.be/Wqq_-3J7w1s?hd=1
Old April 28, 2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Chris_B

My '43 Inland is quite accurate and reliable. I also wish the ammo were cheaper! I think the sight picture on the M1 carbine is better than that of the M1 rifle, too- the groove in the handguard really helps me place the front sight squarely for some reason
Old April 28, 2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Amsdorf

Interesting, I'll have to compare the two sight pictures next time I take the Carbine and Garand out together.
Old April 29, 2012, 01:19 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I love the little carbine. While there are better carbines like the AR-15 genre today, the M-1 is plain fun to shoot. My non GI IAI has been dressed up with a picatinny handguard and a Tasco ProPoint. I had to since that darn rear aperture fell off on me.
Old April 29, 2012, 04:29 AM   #5
Amsdorf

Can you post a picture of it? I'd like to see it.
Old April 30, 2012, 01:24 PM   #6
jsmaye

Quote:
...Just wish the ammo was a bit less expensive...
Quote:
...I also wish the ammo were cheaper...
Forget the ammo - I wish the gun were cheaper...
Old April 30, 2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Amsdorf

Well, sure, we all wish that, but....

it is what it is.
Old April 30, 2012, 01:35 PM   #8
RedBowTies88

I love these little rifles, had the joy of shooting on once. Wish I could own one
Old April 30, 2012, 04:43 PM   #9
COSteve

M1 Carbines are a ton of fun to shoot for everyone! I love my pristine '43 NPM with high wood and a great barrel that I've had for almost 40 yrs but always have been hesitant to shoot it because of it's excellent condition. Recently I found out it's worth over $1,400, so I decided to retire it from service to to to my son's collection some day.

I went looking for a decent shooting replacement, not interested in collector value, just a good shooter and all I found at the $600 - $700 level were worn out beaters. After looking and looking I finally gave up and checked out a new Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine.

I decided that a new in the box commercial carbine for $628 delivered was better for my purposes than a worn out GI version so I ordered one from Bud's guns in Feb. After I got it and swapped out the rear flip sight for the later, adjustable type II version, I took it out to the range and let 'er rip. Turns out that the chamber and barrel are nice and tight on this one and with the type II rear sight this carbine is really accurate!

One of our younger CMP regulars with good eyes cranked off a 2" group at 100 yds with it. 2" group with a carbine at 100 yds? Almost unheard of!! Further, I've had no problems with it feeding, cycling, or extracting in almost 900rds so far. Best of all, I can shoot the snot out of it and not worry about damaging a piece of history. To say I'm pleased is an understatement!!

My '43 NPM Red Rock Armory Rebuild on top and the new AO on the bottom:

BTW, this retiring collector grade rifles is expensive. I also retired my HRA Correct Grade M1 Garand I've had for only a year and got a Springfield Special Grade M1 Garand that I received last Thursday. The Special Grade is a completely rebuilt rifle with new CMP stock (great figuring) and a new Criterion chrome lined barrel.

They are brand new rifles using mostly NOS parts and/or very low round count ones. I couldn't find any parts on his that show any wear even under the newly parkerized finish. My son and I took it out yesterday (Sunday) and broke it in. He was able to hit a bowling pin off the bench with stock sights at 300 yds with it! (Oh, to have 27 yr old eyes again.)

Our Springfield Special Grade:

Our Retired HRA:

Last edited by COSteve; April 30, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old April 30, 2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Amsdorf

Nice!!
Old April 30, 2012, 08:26 PM   #11
Tidewater_Kid

Here's mine from the CMP. It's a Augusta Arsenal post war rebuild. I got it when they first went on sale. Glad I did! Fun little rifle to shoot.

TK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carbine-2.jpg (40.8 KB, 16 views)
Old April 30, 2012, 09:08 PM   #12
COSteve

Another beauty.
Old May 1, 2012, 12:24 PM   #13
Amsdorf

Nice looking Carbine.
Old May 1, 2012, 04:05 PM   #14
Chris_B

I could have bought a cartouched original M1 stock for 80 bucks about 6 weeks ago, and I'm still kicking myself I didn't do it. Sure it needed work but big deal
Old May 1, 2012, 08:41 PM   #15
Amsdorf

Ouch.