The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 8, 2010, 09:29 PM   #1
Uncle Buck

Washing Cartridges

Do you have to wash cartridges that have been fired with black powder in them?

I thoroughly clean my guns after shooting, but usually just throw the brass into the tumbler and when I get a load of brass I turn it on.

Today I turned it on and I saw some of the empty cases look as if they have some sort of corrosion on them. The brass is not nice and shiny.

I went ahead and resized the brass and it looks good as far as integrity, but the discoloration has me wondering if these were from the black powder. (Goex FFFg)
Old August 8, 2010, 10:15 PM   #2
TomADC

I do a little dishwashing soap & hot water, a good rinse then I set them out to dry and into the tumbler.
Old August 8, 2010, 10:17 PM   #3
davem

I don't know if it is required but I do the same thing, hot soapy water. Just a habit.
Old August 8, 2010, 10:20 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Before I got my ceramic media tumbling setup, I washed my BPCR brass with Dawn dish soap and a testtube brush. They were still tarnished looking, but clean and sound. I still decap at the range and take my empties home in soapy water so the fouling doesn't cake on and start to corrode the brass.
Old August 9, 2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

The fouling is hygroscopic, which can really contribute to corrosion.

Even a good sluicing with hot water to dissolve the hygroscopic component can be enough.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 9, 2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Hardcase

^^What Jim said^^

Before I go shooting, I just put some water and dish soap in a tupperware container and drop the empties in as I shoot. Oh, but I don't decap. I just give it a good shake every so often to get the air bubbles out of the cases.
Old August 9, 2010, 06:19 PM   #7
CajunPowder

Let's invent a coin operated case washer for firing ranges !