The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2014, 07:43 AM   #1
bullelk1

handload vs factory question

Hi everyone. I have reloaded for a couple years and have probably a very basic question. I am going moose hunting in a few weeks. I have been testing loads for my 300 wsm and have found that a load using 180 grain TSX, with 65gr of RL 19 with a bullet COL of 285 is loved by my gun. I sighted the gun in for 2.5 inches above bulls eye a 100 yards which comes in at 3inches high at 200. Thinking this would be good and I was ready to go, but then started thinking that since this was my own testing without any real knowledge of energy or velocity being produced I purchased a box of Federal Trophy Copper 180 grains (quite expensive I might add) to possible use. Fired 3 rounds and the point of impact was 1 inch low on the bulls eye at 200. Now the doubt really comes in! Should I trust my reloads or change my sights so point of impact is 2.5 inches with the Trophy Coppers?

Any thoughts??
Old September 1, 2014, 08:01 AM   #2
std7mag

I'd go with the reloads.

If you gun is accurate with the load you developed, why switch?

I only shoot "factory" stuff to get the casings.
Old September 1, 2014, 08:18 AM   #3
Jim243

Quote:
is loved by my gun
That says it all.

Jim
Old September 1, 2014, 08:52 AM   #4
jmr40

Stick with the reloads. If you have to use the factory loads for some reason then you know where they hit.

ASAP buy a chronograph. The only way to know what your loads, hand load or factroy are doing.

At this point I wouldn't change anything, but I wouldn't want a rifle hitting 3" high at 200 yards unless I planned on taking all my shots at 500+ yards. I've never hunted moose, but have been around them. Not hard at all to get close and shots may often be in thick brush. When you have the bullets path well above the crosshairs it is easy to hit unseen brush between you and the target. With a 100 yard zero that is far less likely to happen and you can still hit a moose's vitals @ 300 yards with no hold over with that rifle/bullet combo. Very little at 400 yards.
Old September 1, 2014, 09:09 AM   #5
Sergeant

Every now and then I get a FTF with factory ammo, but the quality of my reloads mitigates that type of issue. I'd go with the reload you have developed for your specific weapon.
Old September 1, 2014, 09:11 AM   #6
F. Guffey

Quote:
Fired 3 rounds and the point of impact was 1 inch low on the bulls eye at 200. Now the doubt really comes in! Should I trust my reloads or change my sights so point of impact is 2.5 inches with the Trophy Coppers?
I took a new build to the range with 120 rounds of 12 different loads with 10 cases in each group. It took all day, between cooling I shot other rifles. I did not adjust the scope, the point of aim was the center of the target. The groups moved, they did not spread or have flyers, all of the groups could be covered with a quarter, some groups shared the same hole.

I would suggest you adjust the Federal impact to match the reload impact.

I duplicated the 12 different loads of 120 cases and asked the new owner to find what the rifle liked. He returned the fired cases and said he fired one round from one group then adjusted the scope to zero. He suggested I load 120 rounds with one load, that would save him the trip to the range for zeroing.

I used 12 different head stamps, new, once fired, commercial and military.

F. Guffey
Old September 1, 2014, 09:33 AM   #7
Jim Watson

When you are shooting your reloads, adjust the sights to suit them.
When you are shooting factory loads, adjust the sights to suit them instead.

I agree with jmr40, that sight setting seems odd.
I would shoot it at longer ranges or at least run it through a ballistic calculator.
Old September 1, 2014, 10:03 AM   #8
Slamfire

Rifles are dynamic units, change the fodder, with different bullets, powders, etc, the whole thing is going to vibrate differently. As I have found a number of times, a 1000 yard zero with a brand A bullet, means squat with brand B. The worst example was with 190 SMK’s and 190 Hornady’s. I had an excellent 1000 yard zero with 190 SMK’s in my 308, thought I would shoot up some ancient 190 Hornady’s. Same cases, same load, different bullet. The bullets did not look all that different, might have been a difference if gaged, otherwise, to an eyeball, looked pretty similar. The 190 Hornady’s were hitting the berm at least eight feet low, and when I got on paper, the pitts informed me they were key holing!

Quote:
the point of impact was 1 inch low on the bulls eye at 200.
One inch low at 200 yards does not mean the sky is falling. That is within my hold at 200 yards. One inch at 200 yards is not that significant in my opinion, I have no idea how you tested, but day to day differences in my point of impacts are more than one inch at 200 yards.
Old September 1, 2014, 03:11 PM   #9
math teacher

This is a hunting response, but your thread is here, Your load is more than adequate for moose. I don't know where you will be hunting, but where I hunt in BC, 300 to 400 yards is the norm. A moose is a big target, so it doesn't hurt to sight in as much as 3 1/2 inches high at 100 yards. You won't have to do more than hold high on the back all the way out to 400 yards. If you are going to include deer in your hunt, stay with your current setting.
Old September 1, 2014, 04:27 PM   #10
Gary L. Griffiths

Hunt with your reloads. It's even more satisfying to bag big game with cartridges you've handloaded!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old September 1, 2014, 04:50 PM   #11
chiefr

I too would trust my and only my reloads over factory. I have not bought any factory fodder for a hunting rifle in over 35 years.
Old September 1, 2014, 05:32 PM   #12
Paul B.

Well, I'm estimating your velocity to at 2861 FPS plus or minus 50 FPS depending on your particular rifle. I think your 3" high at 100 yards is just fine. I also think you could go a bit higher in your powder charge as you're at the mid level in the Barnes manual but your load is just fine as is.
I shoot a .300 Win. Mag. with a 200 gr. Speer Hot Core to just about the same velocity as my estimate for your load and dropped a nice cow elk at 530 yards laser measured by holding even with the top of her back. Your load should have no problem putting meat on the ground.
The suggestion to get a chronograph is a good one. I use mine all the time when doing load work ups.
Paul B.
Old September 2, 2014, 09:28 AM   #13
bullelk1

Thank you all for your input. I will use your advice.

I have used my reloads on out of state elk hunts and they have been just fine with the TSX. In fact, after thinking about it I don't think I've ever used a factory load out of this 300 WSM on game. I guess I was just shocked that the factory Trophy Coppers shot so differently.
Old September 2, 2014, 02:08 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

A Federal Copper has a wee cavity in the point. The TSX is an HP. Different bullets altogether.
"...knowledge of energy or velocity..." Accuracy is far more important than velocity. Neither Alliant nor Barnes publish energy data, but a 180 of any kind will have plenty at 200 yards.
Old September 4, 2014, 03:23 AM   #15
Brotherbadger

Quote:
I too would trust my and only my reloads over factory.
Agreed. You will(most likely) be shooting your reloads way more than factory stuff. Stick with what you made.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "