The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 27, 2012, 08:42 AM   #1
west5757

Thoughts on Remington R-15

I am looking to purchase a Remington R-15 carbine in .223. Does anyone have any experience with this rifle? I have been told by a few different owners that they are great for the coyote and quite accurate.

Any thoughts?
Old November 27, 2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Panfisher

I've had mine for over a month now and absolutely love it. I bought one of the black R-15's from Academy as they were cheaper than the camo versions. Mine is very accurate and has already accounted for one deer. Not having owned an AR before I still have some learning curves to steer through but all in all I love the rifle, the only down side I can give for it is the trigger, while not the worst trigger I have ever felt it is in the bottom few, however I am used to bolt action rifles also. A new set of reduced pull springs is pretty cheap but I just havent gotten them yet.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:40 AM   #3
west5757

I'll be using mine for coyote primarily if I get it. The one I am looking at has the 18" barrel and a collapsible stock. They have a coyote special nikon mounted on it but I'm not sure that I like that scope. I am more inclined to a typical crosshair style. I am going to try to trade on it today and hopefully we can get the money right.
Old November 27, 2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Marquezj16

Are they made by DPMS? It would be cheaper to buy a DPMS model.
Old November 27, 2012, 07:17 PM   #5
Mobuck

Closest I've come to a Rem R-15 is buying a takeoff camo stock, hand guard, grip combo. Looks pretty spiffy on my back up coyote rifle.
Old November 27, 2012, 07:56 PM   #6
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I actually want one. I like them. I have only put about 20 rounds through one, but it seemed to shoot great.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old November 27, 2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Xfire68

The camo is super cool but, it is just a AR 15 and the price is not worth the camo job.

You can get a Colt, Bravo Company or Spikes for less minus the camo. Better guns IMO.

If you really want it in camo you can have it done in just about any pattern you want.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:56 AM   #8
west5757

Well I traded for the gun. I am getting a different set of scope rings because the current set has me leaning my head sideways to get a good sight picture. Overall I really like the look and feel of the gun. I feels good to have an AR back in the line-up.