The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2008, 08:58 AM   #1
Full-choke

What kind of Lube do you use?

I'm just about ready to start reloading, probably by this weekend actually, but what I was wondering is what kind of case lube do you guys prefer. My lyman kit came with a lube pad and some case lube, which I will probably use for now but I wanted to see what worked well before I ordered any.

Thanks,
F-C
Old April 29, 2008, 09:03 AM   #2
Inspector3711

Imperial here... So far so good.. I touch my fingers to it and then spread a thin layer over the body of the case. I lube every other case and when I'm done I go back through them and dip the necks in regular old graphite from the hardware store. I cut the top off of the graphite tube and poured the contents into an old Gamo pellet tin. This way I can dip them in the graphite and when I'm done I can screw the lid on.
Old April 29, 2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Ruger4570

I have been using "one shot" spray lube. It is a little more expensive ,, but so much less messy and time consuming than other lubes and methods.
Old April 29, 2008, 10:13 AM   #4
TexasSeaRay

Lee Lube, and ONLY Lee Lube.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old April 29, 2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Shoney

Over my 48 years of reloading, I have tried most of the commercial case lubes, lots of automotive lubes like STP and others, and various other slick products such as electrical conduit wire pulling lube (which was excellent). But my favorite is Imperial Sizing Die Wax.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 29, 2008, 10:58 AM   #6
zxcvbob

Dillon (or Cabela's) Spray Lube, in the pump bottle.

I've also tried castor oil, and that works pretty good.

For .30 Carbine cases that I'm resizing with a carbide die, I use a tiny dab of silicone spray, but it doesn't work good enough for steel dies.
Old April 29, 2008, 11:08 AM   #7
Slamfire

RCBS Water Soluble.

And I wash it off, either put the cases out in the sun to dry, or put them in the oven at "low" and wait 20 minutes for the stuff to reach 212 F.
Old April 29, 2008, 11:15 AM   #8
The Lovemaster

We like the warming KY

Someone had to say it, I just happened to be first!
Old April 29, 2008, 03:09 PM   #9
Dumpster Baby

Old April 29, 2008, 06:44 PM   #10
Big Caliber

After years of using RCBS case lube & pad, I switched to Hornady One Shot & haven't looked back.
Old April 29, 2008, 08:34 PM   #11
115scott

Quote:
Dillon (or Cabela's) Spray Lube, in the pump bottle.
I have been using One Shot but recently bought a bottle of Dillon's. Hope it is just as good or better. Just wondering if anyone has had problems with Dillon. I have a friend who had problems with stuck cases with One Shot but I personally never have.
Old April 29, 2008, 08:37 PM   #12
Dragunov54

I only use Lee case lube.
Old April 29, 2008, 08:39 PM   #13
crowbeaner

RCBS case lube and pad. It's worked fine for 35 years so why change?
Old April 29, 2008, 08:56 PM   #14
jhansman

Another Imperial lover. Tried Lee's & RCBS's, but when I gave the Imperial a try, that was that. Never a stuck case, cleans up nicely, and a tin lasts just about forever.
Old April 30, 2008, 06:46 AM   #15
Full-choke

Wow, it sounds a lot like there are really only 3 out there to use. Imperial, Lee or Hornady One-Shot. I had read over some stuff about the One-Shot, thought it sounded pretty good but I think I might try some of the Imperial too as well.

F-C
Old April 30, 2008, 07:21 AM   #16
FM12

Imperial. Period.
Old May 1, 2008, 03:53 PM   #17
ForneyRider

Lee Lube.

I tried Hornady One Shot. I have 2 cans. Not sure what this stuff is good for.
Old May 1, 2008, 03:55 PM   #18
AF_Reloader

RCBS lube and pad, hasn't let me down.
Old May 1, 2008, 04:42 PM   #19
wncchester

The "best" case lube depends mostly on how you prefer to apply it. If you like the pad, stay with what you have, it's fine.

If you want to spray it on, which I limit to pistol stuff, get one of them. One-Shot seems to be the most popular.

If you want to carefully apply a light coat of lube to rifle cases with your fingers, as I do, use a wax. Get Imperial if you are impressed with brand names or, as I do, use the Kiwi Mink Oil (really a soft wax, vertually identical to Imperial) pictured above. Walmart sells it in their shoe department for not much.

Both RCBS and Lee's water soluable lubes are basically soaps that work great for a lube.

Have fun with your new hobby!
Old May 1, 2008, 04:53 PM   #20
totalloser

I use the rcbs lube in my lube dies, but otherwise I use motor oil per Lee Modern Reloading book's recommendation. Never had a stuck case using motor oil, but have had a couple otherwise. I suspect from not keeping my lube die full.
Old May 1, 2008, 05:20 PM   #21
BigJimP

I like the Dillon spray case lube - and that's all I've used for the last 4 or 5 years.
Old May 2, 2008, 06:53 AM   #22
Full-choke

totalloser,

Motor oil?!?!?! I have NEVER heard of that one...how in the heck do you even apply it so you don't over lube? I can't think of how that would be any easier at all compared to something like a wax or the One Shot...

F-C
Old May 2, 2008, 07:21 AM   #23
Sevens

Quote:
Wow, it sounds a lot like there are really only 3 out there to use. Imperial, Lee or Hornady One-Shot. I had read over some stuff about the One-Shot, thought it sounded pretty good but I think I might try some of the Imperial too as well.
Each has it's high point--
The Hornady is the easiest, because you don't have to touch the lube or handle each case separately to lube them. You just shoot a bunch of them in a shoe box.

The Lee is cheap, lasts forever, and they sold me because they guarantee that their lube won't taint or disable primers if you accidentally get some near a primer.

The Imperial is more expensive, but it lasts forever as well, and it's much less messy to work with than the Lee stuff. Goes on easy, wipes off easy. Imperial probably has the most rabid following amongst it's converts.

I've read bad experiences with One Shot, some of them were posted just a week or two ago. I bought a tin of Imperial myself, just to see if the hype was true, but haven't used it yet. I've been sizing rifle brass for like 16 years with the Lee lube.
Old May 3, 2008, 03:58 AM   #24
K.W.

I use LEE "toothpaste". Easy to use and erasure.
Old May 3, 2008, 06:15 AM   #25
Leeman

Motor oil doesn't work as a sizing lube.

Hi totallosser
On my first attempt to reload over 50 years ago, I tried motor oil to size cases and had a dickens of a time getting the case out of the die. It doesn't work!
I found no reference to motor oil in Modern Reloading. Please let me know what page it is on.