The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 18, 2012, 05:08 PM   #51
12GaugeShuggoth

+1 to everything GlockedNLoded32 said above me^^^^. If I want to get a good buzz or whatever, I choose to stay home or just go to a close friends' house. Even disregarding CC while drinking, I just can't find a good reason to go "out drinking" instead of staying in; too many stupid people out there to be worth it IMHO. I did the whole clubbing thing before I started CC'ing, and don't miss a second of it.

Basic rule is guns and alcohol don't make a good combination. Adding drunk and potentially combative strangers to the mix.........me thinks not. Also:

Quote:
95% of all the stupid, costly, embarassing and hurtful things I have done in my life I did while somewhere north of 0.08% BAC.
So true, so true, I would expect for a lot of people; we all live and learn!

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old January 18, 2012, 05:13 PM   #52
markj

I used to tend bar, did it for years. I quit drinking somewhere in that, I saw folks after one drink, or many drinks. I sure dont ever wish to act like they do just cause I was drunk. Saw a guy smash a full bottle of beer on his wifes head.... saw folks pass out and pee all over my floor which I had to clean up. Then lets go over to the bathrooms.... yeck both were bad after a friday or saturday nite of fun.....

drunk people turn me off.
Old January 18, 2012, 05:16 PM   #53
TexasJustice7

Quote:
GlockNLoaded32: Im 22 years old and I live in Texas and have my CHL I have become more responsible as a young adult do to the fact that I have taken on the responsibility's of being a CHL Holder. I have found that I can still go out and have fun without having a drink. its better to have a sound mind and make good judgments than to be impaired and take the chance of messing up the rest of my life to alcohol and firearms
_

I complement you on a mature attitude in my opinion toward concealed carry and alcohol. At that young age, I had neither CHL nor a mature attitude. I too live in Texas.
Old January 18, 2012, 05:19 PM   #54
GlockedNLoded32

Thank you TexasJustice7 for the compliment.
GLOCK 32 .357 SIG With Hogue Grip,Trijicon Ghost Ring Night Sight, 3.5 Ghost trigger, Weatherby Vanguard .308 1:12 twist with Blackhawk Bipod and a Barska 6x24x60 IR SWAT SCOPE. - 168 Hornady AMAX loaded at 46 gr
Stoeger M2000 Max 4 SA 12 gauge
Old January 18, 2012, 07:26 PM   #55
Nnobby45

In my state, the standard for CCW is the same as for driving. In Nevada, there aren't many places that don't serve alchohol and have slots, with, typically, the bar and dining room adjoined, or even in the same room.

Your only option would be to travel thru the state utilizing fast food only or bypass all small towns.

It's not recommended that any alcohol be consumed, however, since that can become a club to beat you over the head with---in civil court, if not criminal. Any alcohol on the breath at all, after a shooting, will bring you under strict scrutiny.
Old January 18, 2012, 07:31 PM   #56
ConlawBloganon

In GA, you can lawfully carry in a bar and drink. Half of my social activities used to revolve around bar trivia, and I preferred to slowly work on one or two beers, rather than chug water or soda and explain to everyone that I had a gun.
Old January 18, 2012, 08:06 PM   #57
wayneinFL

Quote:
If I showed up at my range with a tablespoon of beer, my butt's getting tossed out the door...because its not safe.
A tablespoon of beer is not safe? Really? I kinda understand if they have to draw the line somewhere but if you think any beer at all is inherently unsafe, you probably shouldn't shoot in the afternoon or evening when you're tired, shouldn't shoot when you have a cold, and shouldn't ever talk to anyone while shooting.
Old January 18, 2012, 08:15 PM   #58
Coyote_Buster700

^agreed
Old January 18, 2012, 08:18 PM   #59
bumnote

My point was having beer at the range. I thought that was pretty clear. The amount is inconsequential, I purposely used a ridiculously small amount as a demonstration.
Old January 18, 2012, 08:36 PM   #60
hangglider

Might want to reconsider carrying and drinking in that GA bar:

"TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 11. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
ARTICLE 4. DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
PART 3. CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127 (2011)

§ 16-11-127. Carrying weapons in unauthorized locations; penalty

(1) "Bar" means an establishment that is devoted to the serving of alcoholic beverages for consumption by guests on the premises and in which the serving of food is only incidental to the consumption of those beverages, including, but not limited to, taverns, nightclubs, cocktail lounges, and cabarets. "

Firearms can only be brought in with express permission of the bar owner--but that's a far cry from a blanket "lawfully." The use of firearms is a little vague in reference to where and when with alchohol (except under the general threat to life and under .08)--but considering all the roadblock checkpoints and dragnets I've experienced driving through GA--well, ya take ya chances.

Last edited by hangglider; January 18, 2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old January 18, 2012, 08:44 PM   #61
Fred_G

OT, sorry Bumnote, no offense to you, but I am trying to picture someone unloading their range bag and such, and walking up to the range, all the while balancing a teaspoon of beer in their other hand...
Old January 18, 2012, 08:52 PM   #62
bumnote

I'd pay to see someone try to pull that off.
Old January 21, 2012, 04:50 PM   #63
bikerbill

My wife and I went out for lunch today at our favorite local Mexican restaurant ... my rule is, I don't drink when carrying, and I had my faithful PM9 on my hip ... I broke my rule to have a beer, probably the first time in two or three years that I've had any alcohol while armed. I don't recommend it, I'll try not to do it again, and I have to say I think it's a bad idea. One beer with a full lunch (including excellent refried beans) isn't going to cause me any problems, but it's a slipperly slope I don't like sitting at the top of.
Old January 22, 2012, 11:09 AM   #64
wayneinFL

Quote:
My point was having beer at the range. I thought that was pretty clear. The amount is inconsequential, I purposely used a ridiculously small amount as a demonstration.
My point is that no one is ever at 100% to begin with. You're always impaired to some extent. If you're talking to someone, distracted, not feeling well, tired, or taking Benadryl, you're already impaired to some extent. Your range says no alcohol whatsoever, because they have to draw the line somewhere, not because having a beer or two makes you unsafe.

There are plenty of reasons to abstain from drinking any amount of alcohol while carrying. Liability would be one. Maybe you're one of those people who just can't stop when you've had one beer. It could be illegal in your state. But I don't see it as inherently unsafe to have a small level of alcohol in your system.
Old January 22, 2012, 02:09 PM   #65
catnphx

Quote:
wayneinFL said: But I don't see it as inherently unsafe to have a small level of alcohol in your system.
If we agree that alcohol impairs judgement (good luck trying to say it doesn't) ... you don't need that when carrying a weapon. We carry a weapon for protection and a jury will strongly consider that your judgement was flawed in the event you have to protect yourself with any level of alcohol in your system. If you want to go down that dangerous path then good luck to you ... your fantasy just might become a nightmare.
Kahr CW9 (w/ Kholster Crescent IWB)
Old January 22, 2012, 02:19 PM   #66
zxcvbob

My self-imposed limit when I'm carrying is 1 beer. (that doesn't mean I'll drink one, it just means I'm allowed one) For the whole evening.

I've read somewhere that MN defines the BAC limit for carrying as 0.04% -- half the limit for driving, but I haven't looked that up in the statutes myself.
Old January 22, 2012, 02:31 PM   #67
hangglider

My favorite Clintism is "There's a lawyer attached to every round you fire."
Old January 22, 2012, 02:56 PM   #68
Bob M.

Gave up drinking many decades ago. Even if I did drink, I would never mix the two. Just like anything else, driving/operating machinery is something you should never do while intoxicated.
Old January 22, 2012, 03:13 PM   #69
Fred_G

If you do have one beer, better watch out for some of the imports... They can range from 7% up to 40%
Old January 23, 2012, 01:36 PM   #70
Tengu01

I'm kind of riding the fence with this one , and this is a situation that I've often thought about .

There was a story of some Einstein that was carrying one night while was was drinking heavily . While he didn't have to pull his weapon that night , he DID , however , leave his weapon on the toilet tank after he took a dump , zipped up , and walked out of the stall . By the time El Dumb-Ass knew what was up , and he went back to retreave his weapon , it was gone , as well as the dude that stole it .

If you can't limit yourself , you've got no business carrying .

I think Dirty Harry said it best when he said " A man's got to know his limitations " .
Old January 23, 2012, 01:41 PM   #71
Onward Allusion

Quote:
If you can't limit yourself , you've got no business carrying .
The flipside is, if you can't limit yourself, you've got no business drinking.
Old January 23, 2012, 01:46 PM   #72
Tengu01

There it is .
Old January 23, 2012, 02:09 PM   #73
Frank Ettin
Staff

Yes, there it is. And so let's end this one before we get any deeper into the "alcohol has no effect on me" nonsense.
Closed Thread