The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 19, 2013, 12:21 PM   #1
n8ball

stevens model 58 series e 410 questions

so i inherited this baby, it has a removable magazine, and is in beautifil shape, im looking to date it and hopefully find out if it is safe to shoot slugs out of it? any info would be awsome!

i can post pics if it will help
Old December 19, 2013, 04:52 PM   #2
PetahW

I wouldn't shoot slugs through a full choked gun.

Savages/Stevens, made between 1949-70 were all stamped with a Savage Date Code Letter somewhere in the bottom of the bbl or action.

1949 = "A", 1950 = "B", etc - up to an "X" for 1970 ( "I" & "O" were skipped)

They were introduced in 1934, though, and you're going to be S.O.L. finding a born-on date if it wasn't made between the above dates, since Savage/Stevens has historically been secretive about their production records.

Old December 20, 2013, 08:56 AM   #3
n8ball

i did contact them, they have a historian that i have been meening to write a letter to, so this is most likely full choke?
Old December 20, 2013, 06:57 PM   #4
PetahW

The Savage/Stevens historian charges $65 (IIRC) for a letter/certification.

IDK if your particular gun is FC or not - you need to inspect the rear of the bbl side for a choke designation stamping.

The fixed choke designation will be one or more asterisk's (*), stamped into the rear side of the barrel.

* = FULL
** = MOD
*** = IC

Old December 22, 2013, 09:53 PM   #5
n8ball

no such stamp on it, frustrating. i really wanted to try the slugs out, but i certainly am not going to ruin this firearm. any other suggestions as to where i can get more info? i have done several google searches and found some serial number dating, but nothing that tells me what i want to know
Old December 22, 2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

Slugs won't hurt the gun at all. They are hollow and designed to swage down through the choke (even full chokes.) Unless the gun says .410/3" chamber, omly use 2-1/2 " shells in it.
Old December 22, 2013, 10:12 PM   #7
n8ball

it does say 3 " chamber, you feel pretty confident that it will be ok? just worried about the muzzel looking like a peeled banana.
Old December 23, 2013, 11:55 AM   #8
PetahW

I never owned an M58, but I'd be very leary of shooting slugs through it - especially if the barrel's a thin one.

It probably wouldn't "babana peel", unless there was a bbl obstruction, but slugs /i]could[/i] tend to iron out the swedged-in choke (made by squeezing the muzzle end of a bbl as req'd) that those inexpensive shotgun always seem to have ( ILO a reamed choking).

JMO, but there's not a whole lot of use for .410 slugs anyway.
They're banned for deer hunting in my & other states - so you might first want to check CT's laws on the issue.

Old December 23, 2013, 05:24 PM   #9
n8ball

you cant use them here either, just have some and wanted to try it
Old December 23, 2013, 06:35 PM   #10
PetahW

"Curiosity killed the cat' ........

Old December 23, 2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

I don't understand why you guys are saying not to shoot slugs. The slugs are soft lead, they are hollow, and are designed to swage down through a choke-any choke. .410 barrels actually tend to be a bit thicker than the larger gauges. Would you advise against shooting slugs in a 20 ga. full choke? I doubt ammunition manufacturers would make ammunition that is unsafe in guns that are in good working order.
Old December 29, 2013, 08:46 AM   #12
n8ball

barrel measures .16" at the muzzle, it does have an sp on the barrel in front of the reciever
Old December 29, 2013, 12:19 PM   #13
PetahW

A .16" bore would be a needle gun - typo ?

"SP" = Savage Proof.

Old December 29, 2013, 01:01 PM   #14
n8ball

sorry, correction, barrel thickness is .16".
Old December 29, 2013, 04:20 PM   #15
PetahW

Bbl thickness @ the muzzle has nil to do with how it's choked.

A better indicator might be the I.D. (inner diameter), as opposed to the .410" bore - which difference might equal the choke/constriction.

Old December 29, 2013, 07:20 PM   #16
n8ball

id is .395, i guess i should google choke ids huh? I dnt need to shoot slugs really, just have some and wanted to see how accurate this is at 50 yds just for sh#*s and giggles.
Old December 29, 2013, 08:26 PM   #17
336A

Firing slugs out of a full choked barrel is perfectly safe and will not cause any damage to the firearm period. I'd really like to know where this nonsense about not firing slugs through full chokes came from. Folks were doing this long before most people here were a twinkle in they're parents eyes. A lot of those guns are still around and working the same today as they did yesteryear, heck a lot are probably family heirlooms. If you go to the Brenneke website and look at the FAQ there is a question in regards to this very topic. The answer to that question is yes it is safe.

Slugs are made of lead which is of course softer than steel. The rifling is designed to be squeezed down so that the slug can safely pass through a shotgun choke. If it were not safe there would be warnings all over the ammo boxes not to fire them through full chokes, but such is not the case. Again there are plenty of old full choked guns still kicking about that I'm sure fired untold amounts of slug ammunition. Generally speaking slugs will show the best accuracy when fired through a more open choke. However this is not always the case as each gun is a individual unto itself. Years ago I had a old bolt action Kessler full choked shotgun with a side scope mount. That darn thing shot slugs as if it were a rifle, that is one gun I wish I never let get away.
Old December 30, 2013, 08:33 AM   #18
PetahW

I haven't been a twinkle in my parent's eyes, since prior to WWII - and I've been personally present a time or three, when another shooter ruined the (albeit thin) muzzle(s) of their SxS by shooting slugs. .

If anyone really wants to shoot them, be my guest. .

Old December 31, 2013, 07:04 PM   #19
n8ball

sorry, i will do more research elseware. Thought i could get some input here, sorry to waist folks time