The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 20, 2013, 02:22 PM   #1
BoogieMan

No place to shoot

I figured I would run to the range and see what I could do with my mauser and iron sights. We have 4 ranges 25 (always full) 50, 100,300. 25-100 had no empty spots. 300 had people shooting up around 100, 50 had people shooting up. 8 out 10 had plastic pistols. I know its great that we have so many new shooting enthusiests, but its annoying. In 6 months half or more of them wont be there. I am not renewing at this range.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 20, 2013, 07:54 PM   #2

Anyone you know have property you can use? Then its all yours. That makes it sweet
Old January 20, 2013, 08:08 PM   #3
MLeake

When the weather is not too crappy, I just shoot in my west pasture.

Living in a pro-gun state, in a rural area, and having some acres is a good thing. OP, maybe you should make some countryside friends in PA. (I do not know if you can shoot on regular agricultural land in NJ.)
Old January 20, 2013, 08:46 PM   #4
wet

In Alaska we built a home in town. Because of close neighbors and bad weather at times, we burried 300 ft. of 4 ft culvert ending in my reloading room. With a little metal fab around lights & pullys it worked great and no charge and no waiting. That might work for you.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:05 PM   #5
horatioo

Quote:
In Alaska we built a home in town. Because of close neighbors and bad weather at times, we burried 300 ft. of 4 ft culvert ending in my reloading room. With a little metal fab around lights & pullys it worked great and no charge and no waiting. That might work for you.
was that expensive?
Old January 20, 2013, 09:09 PM   #6
MLeake

The expensive part would be proper ventilation, to avoid lead poisoning and chemical exposure issues.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:23 PM   #7
jimbob86

No issues with frost heave?
Old January 20, 2013, 10:17 PM   #8
wet

Actully, we had already dug the trench below the basement floor for utilitys and went four feet lower. Had to go down a short ladder to the shooting range from the basement. A 3" vent at the far end and positive ventilation kept smoke and lead out of the house.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:35 PM   #9
wet

In awnser to "was it expensive?" no, the culvert was used and free almost, an old railroad line that needed to be taken out. We owened the backhoe so just labor and fuel.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:44 PM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Not many private land owners are willing to let someone shoot or hunt. Reason being : Insurance.
All it takes is one little shooting mishap for its property owner to find him/herself in civil court.

As far as your overly crowed shooting range. The one I belong to has 500 members period. There is a rather large waiting list. When a Club takes all who want to join. That's when there are problems incurred.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; January 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:22 AM   #11
Pccstudent

Losing our favorite spots here in Tucson

Hello all,new member here.I wanted to comment on the decreasing number of places to shoot here in Tucson.We lost one of our best private ranges due to people building homes close and being bothered by the noise.The final straw for this range was the concern of lead in the soil.We had some really nice "wildcat" ranges on the East Side (Reddington Pass) but they were closed due to trash being left.The Forest service wants to build a range close to the closed Reddington Pass ranges but a small corner of the proposed area is too close to the highway and this is not allowed.The last place i can think of was called the "Pima Pistol Club" but I think the owner aged out on us.There is a shotgun range out by me (West side) but that is about it.Any of the places I went to shoot in the 80's (in Pinal county) are now off limits due to smuggling routes.Yes it is hard finding a place to shoot.
Old January 21, 2013, 07:33 AM   #12
BoogieMan

I have other ranges I can go to. Problem in NJ is not being able to shoot on private land. Its finding a property that is large enough and then being able to pay the taxes on it. Underground range is a cool idea, but if you dig down 16 or so feet anywhere in SJ you will be standing in 4' of water.
My little rant was more about all the newbs packing in the range. We call the 25yd range the OK coral. You have way to many people that are way to excited about shooting. Had a guy start shooting past me one day. When its crowded like it was Sunday I just wont push through the crowd to shoot.
My buddy goes to another facility that is not nearly as nice. But there is usually open range lanes to shoot at.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 21, 2013, 01:09 PM   #13
Patriot86

I had been trying to shoot my PPQ since just after the new year. Every time I went to my local range on the weekend, no matter how early or late the range was PACKED. 1.5+ hr wait times.

I finally took a 1/2 day off work this last Friday and I still ended up waiting about 45 mins....its just getting insane.

I will be happy when come spring I can shoot at the family property in WI again.