The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 7, 2011, 12:05 AM   #51
Bill Akins

Gosh, how did I miss that? I check gunbroker almost every day. Thanks for that info Fingers. However,....I see some possible problems and marring of it.

The backstrap just below the hammer appears to have an inordinate gap between the backstrap and the main frame. At least one of the backstrap screw heads is buggered, not a biggie, but apparent. And the worst of all is that someone banged with something metal (probably a screwdriver) and marred up the right side of the wedge and then slipped and badly scratched the barrel just above the wedge messing up the engraving and looks on that side.

Sigh, I just can't understand someone taking metal to the wedge and buggering up the wedge and scratching the barrel like that when a wooden implement would do the job equally as well and with no possibility of scratching and marring. A screw can be replaced. The backstrap might just need its screws tightened. But finding a replacement wedge in that special "white metal" would be hard to do and there is nothing that can be done about the barrel being badly scratched up. I was tempted to bid when I first saw it, but upon looking more closely and further reflection, that buggered up wedge and scratched barrel pretty much ruins it for me. I think I'll wait for one in better shape.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; April 7, 2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old April 7, 2011, 04:31 PM   #52
Fingers McGee

Well, it is listed as being used. I haven't seen a used one yet that didn't have some dings around the wedge - except mine
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 7, 2011, 04:55 PM   #53
Hawg

I don't think it's that bad. If it was a .36 I might even be tempted.
Old April 7, 2011, 05:52 PM   #54
Bill Akins

Quote:
Finger McGee wrote:
Well, it is listed as being used. I haven't seen a used one yet that didn't have some dings around the wedge - except mine .
"Except mine "
Lol, but of course Fingers. That's because we know what we're doing while obviously others who take a ball peen hammer and screwdriver to their wedges don't. Which makes me wonder how well the cylinder and barrel was maintained. The ad didn't say anything about the bore or cylinder condition. If it was just the wedge that was marred, I could make one of those out of stainless steel to match on my mill. But there's not much that can be done about the barrel being badly scratched on the engraving just above the wedge. That would bug me forever. The whole reason for having this model is because of its fine looks.

I know it's used and the price is reasonable, but whoever buggered up that wedge and badly scratched that barrel, obviously did not tighten the screws on the backstrap either, and I'm wondering if maybe the reason the screws aren't tightened and there's that gap between the backstrap and main frame is because maybe the threads in the frame are stripped? Might just be loose screws but could be stripped threads. I don't want to buy it and then find out the worst that the frame threads are stripped. Seeing that gap in the pics is not good. If you were the seller and saw that gap wouldn't you see to it that the screws were tightened....if they could be?

With the gap between the backstrap and frame, plus the buggered up wedge and badly scratched barrel, and realizing whoever owned it did not know what they were doing, that makes me very leery of bidding on that one.

I don't mind paying a bit more for another used one in good shape that doesn't have those detraction's I saw in that one.

But after looking at another (different from that auction) Pietta .44 1851 Marshall as shown below (brand new).....

I also looked at this (brand new) Pietta 1860 .44 Marshall from Marstar of Canada that also appears to be in the same type of polished white metal as the 1851 is made out of.....

I like both revolvers a lot (especially partial to their half fluted cylinders) and naturally would like to have them both. I admit I am a bit more partial to the more sleek design of the 1860's barrel and loading lever. I've only seen the polished 1860 offered by Marstar of Canada and am not sure if it is available from other outlets in the U.S. since I think (but am not sure) that Marstar of Canada products cannot be imported to the U.S.

And then I just found this mate to my other nickel and gold plated 1860 Pietta for sale at $235.00 and even though I only paid $160.00 for mine in almost perfect condition several years ago, with the way things have gone up that isn't a bad price.

So decisions, decisions. Go with a good used 1851 or 1860 Marshall models in polished white metal, or get the mate to my nickel & gold plated 8" barrel 1860. Perhaps instead of saying "decisions, decisions" I should say "addiction, addiction!" Lol.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; April 7, 2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old April 7, 2011, 06:16 PM   #55
Fingers McGee

Quote:
I don't think it's that bad. If it was a .36 I might even be tempted.
If it was a .36, we wouldn't be having this conversation - I'd have it already. I need a mate for the '51 I already have.

And could use a mate for my '61 too:

Bill, I know where you're coming from. On the wedge, I have a pair of the .44 Sheriffs. One has in-the-white screws and wedge, the other has blued screws and wedge like the one in your photo.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; April 8, 2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old April 7, 2011, 07:29 PM   #56
bedbugbilly

playtheblues - man, I don't care if that pistol is made out of gummy bears and has candy corn for nipples! That is one sweet looking revolver! I have a feeling you are really going to enjoy that little beauty and have a lot of fun with it! Good luck to you!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 7, 2011, 10:10 PM   #57
Bill Akins

Fingers, is that '61 of yours the same one I showed a pic of that Marstar of Canada has available? They look the same only yours has the shoulder stock cutouts and I didn't see those on the one from Marstar. Also, where did you get those white grips on your '51 Marshall? Are they PVC? Did it come that way or did you get replacement grips?

Kudos to you Fingers, you have the exact two I would also like to get. Only I like mine in .44 if I can get them that way. I've had .36's in the past and may again, but I think "WHY?". Why have a .36 if the same revolver is available in .44? The .44 is usually only a little larger and with my big hands and with the way I can twirl and sling around my full size 8" barrel '60 Colts, a tiny bit extra weight or size means little to me and I'd rather have the better knock down power of a .44

The only time I would deviate from that is when there is a revolver I really like that is available in .36 only. Such as this ASM I wish they had made in .44 but was only made in .36

That ASM kind of reminds me of the Marstar Pietta one and your '61 Pietta fingers. Only I think since I've found that yours and the Marstar one is available in .44, I'm not quite so interested in the .36 ASM anymore. So if I can get the same thing in .44, I'll never get a .36
More knockdown power and just one size of lead balls to deal with cutting down on clutter and confusion of which size balls are in which pouch for which revolver. I like just having one size fits all.

After years of having various blue steel BP revolvers that I had to chase rust on constantly, I'm only attracted to stainless and nickel BP revolvers these days. I haven't bought a blue steel one in decades. The only blue steel BP revolver I would buy to keep is a good used 1858 Remy carbine, and only because they don't make them in stainless or nickel. When I do get one, I'm going to have it nickel plated too. Nickel and stainless just clean so much easier and won't corrode up as easily either. Just my thing. Each to their own.

Last edited by Bill Akins; April 7, 2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old April 8, 2011, 04:07 PM   #58
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Fingers, is that '61 of yours the same one I showed a pic of that Marstar of Canada has available? They look the same only yours has the shoulder stock cutouts and I didn't see those on the one from Marstar. Also, where did you get those white grips on your '51 Marshall? Are they PVC? Did it come that way or did you get replacement grips?
No, the Marstar one in your picture is a .44 Cal 1860 Army Sheriffs model. Mine is a .36 Cal 1861 Navy Sheriffs model. The steel BS, steel TG, and grips on the .36cal '51 model came from an EMF Great Western II. It came originally with Pietta's standard brass square back trigger guard, brass backstrap, and walnut grips. I don't like the shape of Pietta 1851 grips and change them when I can. I have a steel BS and TG for the '61; but don't have grips for it yet.
Old April 8, 2011, 04:10 PM   #59
ZVP

SUIFTWATER,
Purty little pistol!
I noticed the load you posted, don't you think it's a mite anemic for a .44 load?
I know that the manufacturer promotes super light loads for legal reasons but you might get better preformance with at least a 25 gr load.
If the frame material is just silver plated brass, then hold to a 20-22 gr load but if the frame is steel it will handle (and shoot more accurately) if you "up" the powder charge a bit. For instance I load my .36 caliber Steel, Uberti London at 22-25 gr and I load my Steel Remington at 35 grains.
JMHO,
ZVP
Old April 8, 2011, 05:56 PM   #60
Hawg

ZVP, you're answering a post almost three years old and he hasn't made a post in over a year.
Old April 8, 2011, 08:30 PM   #61
Hardy

Great Gun and Rems. Has anyone got any info on a Reb Remington made by Richmond Arms during the war, or was some reinactor on some pipe dream. He says it belonged to his great great grandfather who rode in the Hampton Legions and he still fires it. But he Never brought it to store-- We never saw it?
Old April 9, 2011, 03:12 PM   #62
Fingers McGee

There was no 'Reb Remington' made during the war. There was however the brass framed Spiller and Burr, and spur trigger Cofer revolver. Both were brass framed and resembled the Remington
Old April 9, 2011, 05:24 PM   #63
Foto Joe

Etched, engraved, stainless or in the white. Those are purdy little hand cannons.

I'm going to have to go back to work in a few weeks so I can get off of gun re-hab and buy another.
Old April 9, 2011, 09:29 PM   #64
starbuck125

been wanting one of those for awhile now, i like how my 51"s fits my hand, got 2 of them. both are steel framed, one of them is nickel plated that i got a few years back for a song.
fingers, thanks... now i'm wanting one of those sheriff models like yours....guess i need to start dropping hints to the wife, fathers day is coming up
Old April 10, 2011, 07:49 PM   #65
Hardy

Thanks Fingers I didn't think so. I guess you can't believe everyone that walks into shop.
Old April 10, 2011, 10:42 PM   #66
Fingers McGee

I was away from home when I posted yesterday & didn't have any of my books handy. I didn't remember where the Cofer revolver was made. They were made in Portsmouth VA. There were some 80 or so of the Cofers bought by the 5th Virginia Cavalry, so.......

The Cofer looks a lot like the '58 Remmie; only it has a spur trigger like the .31 cal Remmie pocket pistols
Old April 12, 2011, 10:32 PM   #67
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Akins
I don't mind paying a bit more for another used one in good shape that doesn't have those detraction's I saw in that one.
Bill,

Here's another one on GB; although the listing erroneously says it's nickel plated:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=224310108