The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 29, 2006, 08:44 AM   #1
FirstFreedom

Dove Hunting most dangerous type; Whitetail Deer second most dangerous

Didn't realize how many people are injured from Dove hunting; far more than most types, at least in Texas:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat..._1124_2005.pdf

Whitetail deer is second; everything else has a much lower incidence of injuries.

You can type in 2004, 2003, etc. in the link above at the end in place of 2005, to see the prior years' reports.

I guess a lot of people get peppered by their buddies while dove hunting.
Old June 29, 2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Looking at the decline, even before Hunter Ed came upon the scene, hunting accidents are a trivial number in the overall accident numbers from all causes.

Two to four fatalities over each of these last five years isn't much to be concerned about. No system of whatever sort is foolproof, but folks are obviously a lot more careful around guns than around cars.

Art
Old June 29, 2006, 02:29 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

Yeah, I'd say not a bad RATE at all, considering the numbers of hunters in TX. Probably safer a sport than playing checkers, all in all. But the Hunter's Ed did in fact have a noticeable effect on accidents. Hunter Ed is a good thing. It's mandatory for all hunters in OKLA born in 1972 or later. I was grandfathered, being a 69 baby. Art, you would just make the cut as well.
Old June 29, 2006, 02:34 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

To put numbers on that idea...

43.2 MILLION hunting licenses sold from 1966 to 2005. Only 2,617 injuries in that 40 year time span, with only 532 among those being fatal. So a licensed hunter has roughly a 0.006% chance of being hurt (6/1000ths of 1% chance). And a 0.001% chance of being killed (1/1,000th of 1%). That's overall. If you hunt everything *except* doves & deer, it'd be much lower.
Old June 29, 2006, 03:11 PM   #5
FrontSight

And if you don;t hunt with Cheney you will be a lot safer, too...
Old June 29, 2006, 05:44 PM   #6
jhgreasemonkey

I believe it. Especially the deer. Know a hunter who made a bad decision one time and got his arm broken by a deer. He approached it immedietly after he shot it and it wasnt dead. It got up and kicked the crap out of him.
Old June 29, 2006, 07:27 PM   #7
silicon wolverine

Ther are ALOT of people i know that have been peppered by stupid hunters while seeking birds. Ive known a few who peppered back too. About seven years ago we had one fatailty during deer season from a guy shooting at a noise. He was convicted of negligent manslaughter.

SW
Old June 30, 2006, 04:11 PM   #8
an82cj7

hunting accidents

I would still rather hunt with Dick than ride in a car with Ted Kennedy
Old July 1, 2006, 05:40 PM   #9
DobermansDoItGoofy

rabbits...

I generally like to hunt alone, but don't mind hunting with someone I know well... I don't like to hunt with a 'party'. Sometimes it seems that putting a group of folks together is a recipe for problems ie. people start getting silly and lose their focus. I think a big rabbit hunt in a small field with a bunch of boozer strangers...would be about the worst scenario I can imagine...but I'm sure there's others... :barf: