The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 3, 2015, 11:26 PM   #1
Jdougg92

Scorpion Evo3 for Home Defense

After years of building a relationship with the local gun store owner, he was nice enough to open the store up just for me to pick up my new pistol I waited days for.
I am the proud owner of an Evo 3 with an arm brace as well.
I'm for information about the potency 9mm out of what I believe is a 7.5" barrel.
(I surely doubt it) but... Should it be in the discussion with the 5.56 or 300 AAC AR15s as a go to home defense?
Or even over the 357sig or 45ACP Glocks or the 357mag Rhino.

Last edited by Jdougg92; May 3, 2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:34 PM   #2
skizzums

swet gun. I am a huge 9mm fan. although my go-to home defense has been 300BLK, I just finished a 5" AR 9mm build which could very likely replace it if it deems itself reliable.

but, no, you do gain substantial performance from a 7" barrel in 9mm, but not large magnum territory quite yet, and def not small rifle like 300LBK...I feel that 9mm is a better round over .45acp period, lots of people don't, but the difference is marginal. your exra velocity could very well put you closer to .357sig range and likely about the same as a .357 from a sub 2" barrel. but if your interested in comparing....

ave fun looking around this website http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/calibers.html
should have all the info you are looking for. I would run some hot 147gr's bullets through a 7" barrel BTW.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:51 PM   #3
BigMikey76

Congrats on a darn cool new gun. I wouldn't mind getting one of those myself if I could get my wife to sign off on it (Hey look! Is that a flying pig?)

That being said, a 7.5 inch barrel won't bring 9mm anywhere near being in the same class as 5.56. Even going up to a 16" barrel with 9mm is only going to add on 200 or 300 fps. It just isn't built for the kind of power that you get from a rifle round.

Click below to get a look at what you can expect.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html
Old May 4, 2015, 04:28 AM   #4
peggysue

Congrats. (I have a VZ 61 Scorpion)
Old May 5, 2015, 01:36 AM   #5
Brotherbadger

When I first saw the Evo, home defense was my first thought as well. I'd love to get one once CZ starts selling their folding stock for it.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old May 5, 2015, 04:25 AM   #6
Jdougg92

I doubt they will until they make a rifle version of it. Or else they would have a lot of people making SBRs
Old May 6, 2015, 12:20 PM   #7
Darker Loaf

It would be super cool if they made a rifle-length version of the gun. I'm sure it either won't happen or it will take a long time, because it's probably much easier for them to make a pistol than a rifle because the military version doesn't have a rifle-length barrel. Also, they might feel obligated to put something over the top of the barrel, like an extended handguard (and hopefully longer radius picatinny rail for the sights). But it would be durned cool.
Old May 6, 2015, 01:17 PM   #8
Sharkbite

Back when i was spending alot of time behind an Uzi, we decided to put it over a chrono and see exactly what it was giving cor velocity.

That gun has a 10" barrel. Velocity ran from 1250 to just over 1300fps with 115 grain ammo.

Your 7" will prob not get that fast
Old May 6, 2015, 07:02 PM   #9
dakota.potts

Out of a rifle barrel, I do think you'll get the benefit of consistent expansion out of a heavier 147 grain bullet which don't always perform well in smaller handguns. Also, if the Evo is rated for +P or +P+ (as I suspect it is) there are a couple really nasty loads available that might give you a performance benefit over a typical handgun.

I wouldn't expect much else as far as terminal ballistic advantages in it. Your main benefit is going to be in an ability to make a much higher hit volume. All IMO of course
Old May 7, 2015, 02:12 AM   #10
Brotherbadger

Quote:
I doubt they will until they make a rifle version of it. Or else they would have a lot of people making SBRs
They've already announced(I think at the NRA show?) they will be making them here in the US, so you can use them as 922 parts. They might be making it in anticipation of a rifle length, but I'll SBR it.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old May 7, 2015, 06:36 AM   #11
Moomooboo

Im waiting for them to start making it here with the buttstock and 922 r parts.

Tags
9mm , ar 15 , glock , home defense , scorpion