The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 25, 2013, 12:31 PM   #1
sbaker10

youth 20gauge remington 870 magnum express trade in value?

I'm about 200$ short of an AR purchase, and It just dawned on me I had an old youth remington 870 magnum express shotgun with real tree camo furniture that I just never used, I would rather use a coyote gun and shoot them instead of hunting turkeys which I haven't had much luck with anyway. But the question is will I get anything for towards a new gun? He has been pretty fair trading, he took my used ruger m77 in as a even trade towards a Springfield xd9 and only marked it up 100$ from what the Springfield cost so he doesn't try to rip you off too bad, But I dunno if shotguns are even worth anything, its a nice shotgun but he does have a fairly good size rack of the things.

Do I have much chance on getting 200$ of store credit towards a new rifle? He has a used windham weaponry ar for 700 im curious if he would give me a little more credit towards.

Obviously the quickest way to find out is to drive down and its christmas and I'm trying to figure out if its worth cleaning up.
Old December 25, 2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Pahoo

My SWAG

Again, condition is everything and if your 870, is in good shape with the synthetic stock, you are just about right, on the $200.00 value. However, don't know about the shop you are dealing with. I can tell you that he won't get much more, over what he has into it. Again, I suspect that he could eventually get $250.00 out of it. If yours is an older model, all the better, over the newer. .....

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old December 25, 2013, 12:57 PM   #3
sbaker10

Its been shot maybe 30 times, it has the lightest speckling of discoloration on part of the reciever from when the house got humid but I expect a little CLP and it will wipe off. Everything else looks brand new
Old December 25, 2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Snyper

You'll come out better to sell the 870 and pay cash for the AR.

Used guns in really good shape are worth about 70% of the cost of a new one, and trades just mean more paperwork for the dealer

Or even better would be to have some patience, and save another $200 and KEEP the 870
Old December 25, 2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Pahoo

Sell it if your family has outgrown it !!!

Unless your family has outgrown this youth model, I too would recommend keeping it. From your description, I feel that I would not have a problem selling it for $200.00 at one of our local GS's. It's a great starter, for a small body and the barrel length and Mag rating, is pretty neat as well. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 25, 2013, 05:21 PM   #6
sbaker10

Ive outgrown it, neither of my sisters hunt nor have interest in guns and they are a tad irresponsible anyways. I am a college student and Ive already saved an extra 200$ if that makes sense, sure I could save longer, but then I would be close to a colt so I might as well save for a colt, but then I would be close to a nolvske, it just keeps going on and I would rather shoot coyotes now.

Its a nice shotgun, if money were free I would keep it, but Ive never used it for anything but fruit annihilation
Old December 26, 2013, 01:17 PM   #7
PawPaw

Yeah, on the local market, I can get my 'pick of the litter' of Remington 870 Express shotguns for $200.00. Which means that the shop owners paid considerably less than that for them, probably about $100.00. Unless you can sell it at private contract, don't expect to get retail for it.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com