The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 27, 2002, 12:08 PM   #1
Kentucky Rifle

Anyone own a Kimber "Ultra CDP"??

I don't know what happened. I do know I've got the "New Gun-itis". For a long time now, I've been trying to decide which 1911 style pistol I want. (I mean, EVERYBODY "needs" a 1911, right? ) My gun shop owner said that almost everyone he has sold a Kimber to is extremely happy. However, for some reason, I didn't like them. I think it was that "frosted" slide. Well, yesterday I walked into a new, expanded gun shop to look around and there it was. A new Kimber Ultra CDP. I tried to look away. It was impossible. It featured standard night sights, a "melt-down" package, three inch barrel, and the nicest Cocobolo wood grips I've ever seen. To these old eyes, it truly was a work of art. The shop owner recommended that the only change that needed to be made was to throw the stock magazine into the trash can and buy some Wilson replacements.
Does anyone own an Ultra CDP and are you happy with it? I'm not foolin' here. I'm like a coiled spring, ready to fly to the shop and buy that baby!

KR
Old July 27, 2002, 01:35 PM   #2
asp

I have a stainless Ultra w/rosewood grips and like it very much, but I would LOVE to have an Ultra CDP.
Old July 27, 2002, 01:42 PM   #3
CWL

I have one, put an ultra thin carbon creations grip on it even.

Mine isn't so good. It is a Series II. Two trips back to Kimber and one to a local smith. At least it doesn't slamfire anymore. It still rattles loudly from badly fitted grip safety. The non-ejecting magazine/release works now. Always shot straight & true though.

I would almost trust it. But I would have bought something else, maybe even the standard Ultra, if given another chance.

I think that QC varies with Kimber nowadays because of the demand.
Old July 27, 2002, 02:27 PM   #4
critter44

I have a Kimber SS Compact. Only changes is I added night sights. It has been 100% from day #1. I love it and use it for ccw. Very accurate also. Good luck-I KNOW you're gonna get it!!!
Old July 27, 2002, 03:17 PM   #5
Kentucky Rifle

CWL...

How could that Kimber slam fire with a firing pin safety? I was sure it had one.
The grip safety was perfect on this one. No rattle and smooth engaging. Everything was just perfect! Wow...listen to me! I think I'm starting to gush. This is embarrassing.

KR
Old July 27, 2002, 04:06 PM   #6
asp

What's not to gush about? I was a little hesistant to move from Glocks to a 1911 for EDC, but my Ultra proved that it was the right move (for me, anyway).
Old July 27, 2002, 04:46 PM   #7
chaim

Kentucky Rifle, I know what you mean. Those CDP Kimbers are works of art. If I ever have the money I am going to get myself the Pro Carry CDP or Ultra CDP. All the CDPs of any size that I've seen in the shop are just as beautiful but in alluminum framed carry guns I think I'd rather have a smaller one (even if I am in a non-CCW state).

They seem to have good resale values. New they go around $1200 or a bit more here, used they seem to be around $1000-1100. That isn't a very high percentage hit. Beautiful gun, regular Kimbers are good guns (custom shop, with the extra TLC should be at least as good), and if you don't like it you get 85-90% of your money back. If you have the cash, what are you waiting for?
Old July 27, 2002, 05:25 PM   #8
JIH

I bought a Ultra CDP last week and am happy so far. More muzzle flip than I expected, but it's better than most full-size .40s I've shot.
Old July 27, 2002, 06:01 PM   #9
CWL

Kentucky Rifle,

I don't know, but it did, NIB right first time at range. Then again, no guns are supposed to slamfire but. If you check my postings, I've written about this before.

It's not as fun as you think to have a full-auto officers size .45 when you aren't expecting it.

I'm, not claiming that all Kimbers are duds, just that I experienced QC control issues that should have been caught at final inspection. Especially for a Custom Shop special.
Old July 27, 2002, 06:58 PM   #10
Johnny Rad

I wouldn't throw out the Kimber mags without trying them out ... just in case. Mine have been very reliable. Happy shooting!
Old July 27, 2002, 07:34 PM   #11
C. Hubbard

If shooting a Series I Gold Combat, Series II Super Match, and Series II Ultra CDP makes any difference in judgement then I'll throw in my two pennies. The Ultra CDP is an excellent firearm - period! They all get shot weekly. I played most the day with the Gold Combat and the Ultra CDP. The CDP does what it's supposed to. Yes, it jumps more than the two full sizes. However, based on accuracy, I'd put it up against most full sized guns. The meltdown is great, little smoothy. I don't know about other peoples guns, but these all shoot great. I haven't had any problems at all from any of them. I wouldn't worry about buying another Kimber at all. Hope you get it, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Old July 27, 2002, 09:48 PM   #12
GunGeek

Atleast look at a Springfield Micro Compact first, alot like the CDP ultra but with thin grips and novak sights.

Gives you something to compare with, helps me decide atleast....

Oh I went with the SA Micro myself.
Old July 27, 2002, 10:50 PM   #13
blades67

Anyone own a Kimber "Ultra CDP"?

Not yet...

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old July 27, 2002, 11:01 PM   #14
JSMITH

KR , i was thinking about a glock 30 ,but now that you brought it to my attention, i think i will save a bit more and get the cdp also , very nice . my wife even said she like's that one better , had to beg for the ar15 , but she gave in , i have an ok for the kimber now , yea haw .
Old July 28, 2002, 02:12 AM   #15
croyance

Kentucky Rifle, the "II" series Kimbers have a firing pin safety that is deactivated by the grip safety, not the trigger pull.
Old July 28, 2002, 03:17 AM   #16
C. Hubbard

Kentucky Rifle,
Are you looking at Whittakers? Just curious, I make a regular trip every couple weeks.
Old July 28, 2002, 12:06 PM   #17
Kentucky Rifle

C. Hubbard....

Not Whittakers. It's a shop less than a mile from my house called "Shooter's Supply". And the bad thing is...it's open on sundays! I really think I could get a better price at Tilford's (Oh but, THAT would require waiting until tomorrow!). This Ultra CDP is so close that I can hear--"Come get me..Take me home"!
Plus, I've got a thousand dollars in my pocket that just burned a hole in my jeans and fell out on the floor of my den! I'm a goner.
Can the stupid NICS check be done on sundays?

Sheesh--What is wrong with me? I can't breathe. I couldn't sleep last night.

Kentucky Rifle
P.S. Geek: I did look at the Springfield first. I like the idea of a "lifetime warranty". Does anyone know how long the Kimber warranty is? I couldn't find it on Kimber's website last night at 3:00AM when I was staring at the picture of the Ultra CDP.
Old July 28, 2002, 12:27 PM   #18
oops

Kimber's warranty is 12 months and you pay for the shipping to them.
9mm.........- H&K USP, CZ 75b, SigSauer P225 ------- Me and my first guns
Old July 28, 2002, 12:44 PM   #19
44lite

I have an Ultra CDP II and couldn'y be happier. No problems at all. I purchased three extra Kimber mags when I bought the Ultra CDP II. The only thing I changed were the grips. I ordered the smooth version from Kimber. I don't think you can beat this gun with another gun of this size. This gun is more accurate than I will ever be and that trigger, wow. Hope this helps.
michael
Old July 28, 2002, 02:52 PM   #20
tex_n_cal

Odds are, it will be a good pistol. My brother has a Pro CDP, and he's happy with it, though it needed a trigger job. He also has a Custom Eclipse, and gave our Dad a Pro Eclipse, which also is a fine pistol.

Now, that semi-first hand experience aside, there was a poll taken at 1911Forum.com, and 37 out of 164 voters reported problems with Series II safeties. So the odds are about 77% that you'll have a good gun. Granted, no one would call this a "scientific study".

Ummm...is that good enough odds for me to drop a grand on a pistol? No, especially not after having problems with a Series I Gold Match.
With top loads & hard cast bullets, a .357 mag, .41 mag, .44 special, .44 mag, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .500 Linebaugh Maximum, and .500 S&W will all shoot through Bison. To select the gun, determine how big a hole you want to put in the Bison, and how much recoil you can stand
Old July 28, 2002, 04:24 PM   #21
Kentucky Rifle

Just how many of you other guys think that the Springfield "Micro Compact" is a better pistol. The warranty is definitely better and the Novak sights might be better also. Tell me what you really think. It'd be a "heart-breaker" to purchase a thousand dollar 1911 and have problems with it.

Thanks,
KR
Old July 28, 2002, 08:56 PM   #22
C. Hubbard

Couple questions-
Where is Shooters Supply(do they have a website?)
I'm a big fan of roadtripping to hit new gunshops, although I limit myself to 2 hour drives. Anything past that would make me a junkie. I live outside Evansville,IN so that is within a quick trip.
Have you ever been to Whittakers? He's open on Sundays and stocks over 3000 guns, including around 20 to 30 Kimber pistols. I walked in to get the Gold Combat and he had three, plus a couple new LTP's. That place is drool factor ten. Plus, Moonlight BBQ is right down the road.
Old July 28, 2002, 09:04 PM   #23
C. Hubbard

As for the Ultra CDP, one thing to remember. You are buying a custom shop gun. I've shot a lot of Kimbers, all great guns. However, I feel (personal exprience) that the custom shop guns are a notch above the rest. I've never felt a tighter gun. I shoot three Kimber Custom Shop pistols on a regular basis, all with no problems. Could be I'm just lucky, who knows. Hope it holds out too, I just picked up a SVT of theirs. Yummy.
Old July 29, 2002, 01:46 AM   #24
GunGeek

KR: Haven't shot my SA yet, I'm about $75 bucks short of picking it up, I even dug couch change and I can't find the cash I need. What makes it worse was my 10 day wait ended today, I could have brought it home with me!!!!

Next thursday I should be able to pick it up and I will definitly post my thoughts on it.
Old July 29, 2002, 02:08 AM   #25
tex_n_cal

Hey, GunGeek, how ya doing? Are you the one who bought that 9mm Springfield with the dee-licious grips? The one I wanted?

s'okay - you remember this one? It shoots as good as it looks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm_stainless_govt.jpg (65.6 KB, 75 views)
With top loads & hard cast bullets, a .357 mag, .41 mag, .44 special, .44 mag, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .500 Linebaugh Maximum, and .500 S&W will all shoot through Bison. To select the gun, determine how big a hole you want to put in the Bison, and how much recoil you can stand