The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 16, 2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Onward Allusion

Using C&R on road trip?

So, I'm planning on doing a road trip sometime this summer. In order to buy a firearm in another State one generally has to have it processed using FFL's, right?

Can I use my C&R while visiting another State and buy the C&R eligible firearm and take it with me instead of having it shipped back to a FFL in my local State?
Old May 17, 2013, 08:00 AM   #2
jonnyc

Federally and technically.......yes. However, there are a couple of states that do not recognize a C&R for their own citizens, and 01FFLs are not required to recognize or accept your 03FFL.
Old May 19, 2013, 04:24 PM   #3
dabsond

Re: Using C&R on road trip?

You were thinking the same as I was. I was thinking about asking them to ship a C&R weapon to my address on the license. It might put them at ease. You would still get to inspect the weapon and have it shipped.
Old May 19, 2013, 09:33 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

By having it shipped, you would avoid possible problems with having it in the car with you, but there would have to be someone at home to accept the shipment.

Jim
Old May 20, 2013, 10:03 PM   #5
viciouskitty

I've used my C&R on the road in Arizona last year to buy a garand, I just asked the shop I was at if they would recognize my C&R in order to buy it and they said sure. Easy as that so asking may get you what you want.
Old May 21, 2013, 05:41 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

You can buy non C&R long guns in a state other than your state of residence without any FFL. You can buy C&R long guns and handguns in states other than your own with your license, and take possession imediately. It may depend on what state though due to state law. I've bought several C&R handguns, and rifles, and a couple non C&R rifles while at the Knob Creek machine gun shoot in Kentuckey. Even though I had to travel through the Peoples Republic of Illinois on my way home to the free state of Missouri.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 23, 2013, 05:14 PM   #7
tahunua001

agree with cheapshooter, I bought my first rifle out of state in person and my brother does it all the time. the only thing you would even have to worry about are handguns and just the fact that you have a license of any kind is probably enough to make most shops seriously consider the sale as long as they know how a C&R works.
Old May 24, 2013, 09:53 AM   #8
SteveBonning

Some states, like Maryland, still apply state laws for C & R handgun purchases, so even a Maryland resident with a C & R license has to complete the paperwork and 7-day wait for a C & R purchase. However, Federal laws (FOPA) apply for transporting your weapons intrastate, so if you are legally able to purchase a C & R weapon in the state you travel to, you are legally able to transport it through states and back to home

Just to be safe, I carry a copy of my C & R license and the FOPA guidelines with me.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Hardcase

If you have the dealer ship it to the address on your FFL, FedEx will hold the package at the local storefront until you can come in and pick it up. I've done that a few times. That way there's no worrying about waiting periods or transportation issues.
Old May 24, 2013, 05:16 PM   #10
tahunua001

I think the OP is trying to do this without having to pay fedex for shipping and having to go to the store to get it while on a road trip.
Old May 26, 2013, 08:31 PM   #11
xring3

going back to the original question, I used my C&R at a pawn shop in Dayton, NV at 11:00 am on a Sunday morning while on vacation. Purchased a nice model 96 Swedish Mauser. No problems. BTW...be sure to send an updated license when you renew to all shops where you have purchased in the past. Keep in touch with them in case they have something you want in the future.