The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old November 5, 2011, 05:38 PM   #1
tahunua001

why troll?

hello all.
I apologize ahead of time for the following rant. I've noticed recently that there is an increasing number of trolls on TFL, either that or it just never started bothering me until now. I never really understood the motivation.

now I understand if you are reading a thread and see someone has posted some wrong information, by all means, speak up and correct them. but why belittle them and make no attempt to correct them tactfully. an why if you see 15 people all posting the same thing that you think is wrong why continue to stick to your guns when odds are very high that you are in fact the one that is wrong?

I will not deny that I've ever gotten into heated discussions and quite often I have put out faulty information myself. however I have no problem being corrected by someone that can eloquently lay out the information and provide corroborating data. but to simply say that you are wrong and should just pack up shop get an education is not IMO the way to expand a peer's level of knowledge.

am I alone here? is anyone else noticing a deteriorating level of civility particularly in the handgun forums?
Old November 5, 2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Mike1234

I've seen some of it too but not just here. Maybe it's just the change of seasons.
Old November 5, 2011, 06:18 PM   #3
Pbearperry

Every day I read the news on the Yahoo home page.Some of the responses by people are so ignorant and childish that it makes me infuriated.And then I realize the idiot poster won,because that's what they want to do.The world has it's fair share of lowlifes,that's for sure.
Old November 5, 2011, 06:23 PM   #4
9mm

Trolls are everywhere. I been reading the latest game reviews/update on new games coming out from IGN, there is so many trolls on the comments it isnt funny. Same with Yahoo and Fox, trolls in like every comment section on these sites, spamming links to sites talking way off subject etc..
Old November 5, 2011, 06:25 PM   #5
Archer 9505

I never did like the Jerry Springer show
Old November 5, 2011, 06:33 PM   #6
Microgunner

If this thread is not about firearms, tactics or accessories it will be closed. It is considered trolling.
Old November 5, 2011, 06:38 PM   #7
9mm

^ +1

I think what the OP is getting at is when a thread is open, sometimes it gets off track, haters come on and bash etc... Sometimes causing a good thread to get locked.
Old November 5, 2011, 06:46 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Why indeed?

That said, this thread is irrelevant to firearms and handguns in particular. Moved to a more appropriate forum.
Old November 5, 2011, 06:49 PM   #9
tahunua001

though this thread does not directly address a specific firearm, it does come down to a discussion about the proper etiquette involved in discussing them. it shows the frustration of a new firearms enthusiast who truly wants to learn, expand his knowledge so that he can keep himself and his family safe through the responsible and knowledgeable use of firearms and it becomes difficult when a thread that is closely followed is closed simply because some yahoo wants to pick a fight with a complete stranger over a matter that has (in most cases) almost nothign to do with the discussion at hand. this went into the general handguns discussion because it does not specifically pertain to revolvers or autoloaders but more towards the general shooting enthuisiasts populace.
Old November 5, 2011, 07:02 PM   #10
Shadi Khalil

It's the internet, everyone and anyone can play. They usually don't last long here, thats one of the things that makes this forum so great.
Old November 5, 2011, 07:05 PM   #11
Mal H
Staff

We ask that all members try to help make TFL a better place to visit by not just reading a trolling post and moving on. Please always take the time to report any trolling, rude behavior, or disparaging posts to the Staff of TFL.

Simply press the "Report this post" button at the left of the post () and give us a brief explanation of why you are reporting the post - shouldn't take more than 30 seconds.

Let us decide if the post is trolling or lives up to the high standards of TFL. Please don't post in the thread your opinion of the offending member or his/her post. Instead of helping the situation, that only creates a bigger problem for us.

You might be surprised how many reports we get in a day's time. We review each and every one of them. There are times when it is determined that no action is required, but more often than not some action is taken from editing or deleting the post all the way to banning a member for the most serious offenses.
Old November 5, 2011, 07:13 PM   #12
tahunua001

thank you MAL H,
I guess I just found myself more frustrated than normal and thought I might gain some incite.
Old November 5, 2011, 09:06 PM   #13
Mal H
Staff

Please don't gain incite here. Now if you're looking for insight, you've come to the right place!

Old November 5, 2011, 09:32 PM   #14
tahunua001

haha, grammar: 345,565 Tahunua001: 0
I guess I probably caused more incite than gained insight.
Old November 5, 2011, 09:52 PM   #15
Casimer

Trolling here seems to come in waves. But TFL is consistently one of the most civil firearms forums. If you ignore them, they really do go away.
Old November 5, 2011, 10:14 PM   #16
JohnKSa
Staff

One thing that's important is to distinguish between folks who are simply wrong/mistaken/misinformed and people who are trying to stir up trouble.

There are lots of folks out there who hold incorrect views or are mistaken on a particular fact. That alone doesn't make them a troll, even if they can be exasperating about it.

The staff will deal with people who stir up trouble, and reporting troublemakers makes it easier for the staff to keep the peace. On the other hand, don't count on the staff to act as the "truth police". The normal give and take dynamics and membership interaction of a healthy discussion forum should generally sort the truth out without official assistance. Besides, who's to say that the staff is always right on every topic?
Old November 6, 2011, 04:53 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

John is absolutely correct.

I find "troll crying" -- my term for a member publicly accusing someone else of being a troll for all the wrong reasons, like asking what they think is a silly question, having contrarian views on a subject, etc. -- to be as bad, if not worse than, an actual troll.

I tend to come down on troll criers pretty hard.

If you think someone is trolling, PLEASE REPORT THE POST as Mal has described.

If you decide to conduct your own "troll hunt," don't be surprised if you're involved in a 'hunting accident.'

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 6, 2011, 08:59 AM   #18
Joe the Redneck

Might be a good idea to have a little "Let's be ladies and gentlemen" Sticky on the boards, just as a little reminder.
Old November 6, 2011, 12:21 PM   #19
Shane Tuttle
Staff

We don't need it, Joe. First, we like to keep our rules plain and simple and they describe behavior we expect. If a member can't comprehend our rules or see how the overall tone of discussion is on TFL, then they just don't belong here. Plain and simple.

One other thing: Hardly ANYONE "sees" Sticky Posts. I swear to this. You'd be amazed on the daily basis of members claiming they didn't see the Gun Show forum rules...which are prompted in every subforum header and placed as Sticky Posts in said locations.

It's an admirable recommendation, no doubt.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 6, 2011, 01:53 PM   #20
Mike1234

That's True, Shane

Most people just skip over the stickies because most forums use stickies too much. Also, we tend to disregard most reminders/warnings that appear at the top of every forum for the same reason... and because many folks aren't interested enough to care.

BTW, there have been many times that I missed a new sticky or something in a lengthy-written reminder/warning. But at least I have an excuse... I'm brain damaged.
Old November 6, 2011, 03:28 PM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

Exactly.

If people are joining to be willful trolls, no rules, admonitions, stickeys, etc., are going to stop them.

Just like no law is going to stop a criminal from committing a criminal act. Most times a new member's nature will show from the outset. If it shows troll, we'll deal with that person quickly.

Sometimes, though, otherwise good natured members will start sniping at each other.

That's when a moderator will step in and tell them in a very pointed fashion to knock it off. If the exchange was egregious enough, sanctions may be levied.

But, it's pretty much impossible for the moderators here to maintain a constant watch on the boards, every forum, every post, to make sure things aren't spiraling out of control.

We do our best, but we also have lives to which we have to attend. And that's why there's a "report post" button.

Old November 6, 2011, 03:35 PM   #22
Mike1234

Mike... Your wisdom and that of others on this forum reminds me of the Mods on TheHighRoad. I have the greatest respect for those folks on THR, BTW.
Old November 6, 2011, 03:46 PM   #23
tahunua001

Quote:
Sometimes, though, otherwise good natured members will start sniping at each other.
agreed. I wont say that I've never gotten defensive on a topic and started shooting from the hip because I have, but it just seems like some are more prone to make snide remarks from the get-go and even if some members try to de-escalate the situation they just keep going and almost intentionally rile and goad members into heated exchanges
Old November 6, 2011, 04:05 PM   #24
Pond, James Pond

I think that the anonymity of the internet gives some more courage to be provocative in their responses and others a pltaform from which they can ponitificate to others, playing the expert, with relative impunity.

Don't get me wrong most people on the forums I frequent are very pleasant to interact with, but there will always be a bad apple here and there. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that many feel the internet gives them free reign to be disrespectful to others or to somehow get an ego boost by being beligerent....

What can you do?
"There's nowt so queer as folk...."
Old November 6, 2011, 04:24 PM   #25
Mike Irwin
Staff

"but it just seems like some are more prone to make snide remarks from the get-go and even if some members try to de-escalate the situation they just keep going and almost intentionally rile and goad members into heated exchanges"

The patterns of human nature that you see in your face to face life are going to be pretty much the same patterns of human nature that you'll see in your online life.

Closed Thread