The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 28, 2011, 12:15 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Ported barrel a deal Breaker?

Well I have been thinking that the Mossberg 930 is the only gun I would buy at this time...

But now I see that the 2 field guns in walnut and blue both come with ported barrels. I am not so sure I want the increased muzzle noise I may hear.

There is a 26 and 28 inch version and I prefer shorter as I am not a wing shooter and tend to be in denser areas more than wide open terrain.

I do not feel the muzzle rise would ever be a concern to me now as it hasn't ever been an issue for me before.

So how bad would this be?

Brent
Old May 28, 2011, 01:03 PM   #2
pabuckslayer08

Factory port jobs dont really do much and its not worth worrying about, usually they make no difference in noise at all. Its not like a aftermarket port where it sounds like a cannon
Old May 28, 2011, 01:40 PM   #3
big al hunter

I have a Mossberg 835 with the porting. I don't notice that it is any louder than my other guns that aren't ported. I do notice that I am slightly faster to get back on target with the ported barrel. I believe that was the intent of the porting all along, and it seems to me that it works. It is my favorite duck gun for that reason.
Old May 28, 2011, 04:07 PM   #4
oneounceload

Porting is the biggest scam going; however if the gun you really wants comes with it, then learn to deal with it. It DOES increase noise, especially to folks on either side of you and does nothing to reduce recoil or muzzle climb. The only worse possibility is the ported choke tube.

Get the gun if it fits, if you have other possibilities, try them to see which one works best for you. That means actually shooting those models before you buy if possible
Old May 28, 2011, 04:53 PM   #5
pabuckslayer08

Thats crazy man, yes factory ports are worthless but a aftermarket port job can decrease muzzle jump 100 percent. I have seen high cal. rifles and shotguns be decreased by alot, some down to the recoil of a .22.
Old May 28, 2011, 05:15 PM   #6
BigJimP

I respect the other optinions - but in my opinion, factory porting is not worthless ...and it does reduce muzzle jump / so you acquire the 2nd bird faster on the 2nd shot ....( it does not reduce recoil ).

In terms of noise to the shooter - I think its relatively insignificant ...noise is directed outward or upward or slightly backward ( depending on how the barrel is ported). If another shooter is adjacent to you ...its a factor to them ....but in my view, other than in a duck blind, I don't think its a factor ( and they shouldn't be that close to you in any other situation ).

I like a ported gun -- all of my Browning O/U's in 12ga or 20ga --and my semi-auto Benelli super sports are ported / and I'm not sure I'd buy a gun without it ( at least in a 12ga or 20ga )! In a 28ga or a .410 - I don't think it matters if the gun is ported or not - on the 2nd shot ( but even my 28ga and .410's - are 30" barrels, O/U's and weigh around 8 1/2 lbs).

So I'd buy it -- especially if its ported ( but you're asking a bunch of shotgunners --- if you should buy another gun / you wouldn't expect us to say no !!! I know you're not a wingshooter Brent ...so I'm assuming you'll use it for some hunting ...but 26" or 28" ....noise to you as a shooter still won't matter in my opinion.
Old May 28, 2011, 05:41 PM   #7
pabuckslayer08

I agree BigJim that it shouldnt affect the purchase and aftermarket jobs are great and make a huge difference, mine from the factory I just never notice much but after getting them professionaly done its the biggest thing to do so your more accurate on target
Old May 28, 2011, 05:44 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Well here is the mossberg link to an image. the one I am interested in is the 85120 model.

BJP, Does this show it well enough to give you an idea?

I won't be duck hunting with such a "Fine Gentleman's Gun" as this (yeah I know... it is still a utilitarian piece but the finest I expect to own) and toeing the line of a dirt dove sports field is not gonna be often if ever so shooters off to the side won't be an issue.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossb.../NEW/85120.jpg

Brent
Old May 28, 2011, 08:04 PM   #9
pabuckslayer08

Yea the port like that will be un noticible to you. They arnt really any loader at all though they might have slightly less kick
Old May 28, 2011, 09:21 PM   #10
oneounceload

Quote:
Thats crazy man, yes factory ports are worthless but a aftermarket port job can decrease muzzle jump 100 percent. I have seen high cal. rifles and shotguns be decreased by alot, some down to the recoil of a .22.
There is somewhat of a major difference in the pressure between a shotgun and rifles. A heavy shotgun is not affected by the muzzle porting.

With all due respect to my friend Jim, the ONLY company that ports target guns is Browning.

Beretta, Cesar Guerini, Blaser, Zoli, Perazzi, Kreighoff, Kolar, Fabbri, Bertuzzi, and many others do NOT port barrels as a standard feature - yet these are the heavy favorites in the serious target arena. Field guns are not ported- if ever there was a need for the magic of porting, it would seem to be on a lighter field gun that uses heavier loads and needs to react in any direction as the birds juke about - yet field guns, even Brownings, are not ported

Sorry guys, port your S&W 500 handgun, or your 50BMG bolt gun.........it simply isn't necessary or useful on a shotgun
Old May 28, 2011, 09:39 PM   #11
Gehrhard

Porting is Cool!

Gotta luv the porting. Any potential loss of hearing is clearly justified and more than offset by the coolness-factor that is porting. When you replace the wooden stock with a pistol-grip-only for really fast tactical field use you'll be especially glad you have it. Trust me.

I have my own question though: is a Laser Pointer an AKA recognized breed?

Gehr
Old May 28, 2011, 09:48 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

It is but the AKC just accepted the breed so in a few years all the hunt will be washed out, they will behave very well but will suffer all sort of skin problems, deafness and hip dysplasia...

Brent
Old May 29, 2011, 12:52 AM   #13
zippy13

My guns are ported; but, for you, Brent, the porting should be a deal breaker. Anything should be a deal breaker, the thought of you getting a new shotgun is scary enough. I'm pretty sure, such a monumental event could cause a rift in the space-time continuum. Make it a new gun that's ported, and you're really courting disaster.
Old May 29, 2011, 08:30 AM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

zippy, I was real close to seein' where mrs.hogdogs stood on this... She does hold the purse strings and $400+ is a ton of money for a gun to her as well as it would go far in the budget.

I would have to commit to hunting every day I am afraid.

Brent
Old May 29, 2011, 09:08 AM   #15
l98ster

Well porting is a big deal for me! I am looking to purchase a mossberg 930 for 3 gun matches. They have yet to produce a barrel for that gun that is sufficient for 3 gun.

The only barrel that they have close enough to the one I want is a 24 inch PORTED barrel. That will effectively put me in the open class, which i am trying to avoid.

Porting on a shotgun does nothing but make the gun harder to clean.

If Mossberg is listening: why did you hire Jerry Miculek to promote your product for competition shooting, and then not make those products available to the public to use in competition??

-George
Old May 29, 2011, 09:20 AM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Well, Mossberg is claiming to be coming out with comp guns as a line. Might even see J.M's sig. on them. But I do not know if they are reconsidering the ported barrel thing.

Don't drill the holes, sell the gun for $20-50 less and sell more!!!

I wouldn't have had to start a thread about porting being a deal breaker either... *YOU LISTENIN' MOSSBERG?

And everyone who has been on this board a while knows... I AM A DIE HARD MOSSBERG MAN!!! And here I am considering not buying a new gun....

Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; May 29, 2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old May 29, 2011, 02:11 PM   #17
Gehrhard

Confession Time

I sent an old 18-1/2" to Mossberg to port for a project gun that included either a pistol-grip-only or a folding stock pistol grip. They sent it back re-blued. When I finally sent it back to do properly they just sent me a brand-new ported one!

On a gun as I was planning I think the ports would help tame it a tad...

Gehr
Old May 29, 2011, 05:27 PM   #18
BigJimP

I don't think the ports of that gun will affect you at all - in terms of noise Brent.

Porting is an issue that many of us disagree on ...but Benelli ports their "target" gun - the Super Sport models / and I thought the Beretta DT-10 was ported as well / but maybe not - or maybe its an option. Krieghoff and Kolar - offer it as an option / and seriously, there really isn't a "stock" Krieghoff or Kolar - and quite a few of the guys I see shooting Kolar's or Krieghoff's around here - have them ported.

And I agree with my friend OneOunce ...lighter field guns should be ported ( although I know I'm putting a spin on his argument ) but I think part of the reason companies like Browning don't port their field grade guns - is it'll add expense ...( but then I consider my Browning Citori XS Skeet models - as bird hunting machines too ) ...

But seriously, I don't know that its clearly a yes or no on porting - in terms of muzzle jump ....maybe its my imagination that it helps / maybe not ...but regardless, I like em ported...

Last edited by BigJimP; May 29, 2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old May 30, 2011, 01:15 PM   #19
RoscoeC

Ok, I have stated my opinion on this a number of times. I have 13 shotguns. Two of them are ported. I have a Beretta AL390 ST that is ported, and I recently bought a Browning Cynergy Classic with 30" ported barrels. If there is a difference in noise between the ported and non ported barrels I can't tell it, and neither can the folks I shoot with. Not scientific, but I have asked them. To a man they have said they can't tell any difference.

So for me, it is this: If a gun is ported I wouldn't pass it by for that reason. Neither would I buy it for that reason. If it isn't ported, same thing.

For me it is just a non issue. As far as cleaning is concerned, I just don't pay much attention to them. If the ports don't do anything one way or the other, why worry about cleaning them?

Hogdogs, if I were you, I wouldn't let the ported barrels dissuade me from buying a shotgun that I otherwise really liked. I truly believe that you will not notice one way or the other. I don't.
NRA Life Member
Old May 30, 2011, 02:23 PM   #20
zippy13

It may be that many opinions about ported being too loud are based on the old style Cutts compensator. There's the story the old geezer who takes vintage Model 12 with a Cutts to the trap club. One of the other shooter asks the old boy if he's shot that gun before, and cautions him that it's going to be loud. The senior shooter responds, "Hey, if I wanted quiet, I'd have taken up darts."
Old May 30, 2011, 03:13 PM   #21
seansean1444

definetally not a deal breaker. i think it is actually better. i doubt u wil notice a difference in noise but you will get back on target faster
Old May 30, 2011, 03:24 PM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am gonna try to play the "my screwed up left arm" card to see if the pity from wifey will loosen her grip on the purse strings a bit...*

I hinted about the gun while driving to a memorial day function yesterday....

She crapped a dang brick covered in sand spurs when I mentioned I could get one for $475 or so...

I tried to play it off as a cheap gun considering some of my TFL shotgun buddies have guns that cost $10-20k and they only hold 2 dern shells... "Honey, thisn'll shoot 5 shots as fast as I can pull the trigger..."

She says... "So you will need a lot more shells, huh?"

*For everyone not a member for real long, I suffered a debilitating injury to my "strong side" left arm. It was many months before I could even hold the gun to shoot a promo load using the porch railing for a rest and several more before I could hold it up in mounted position to fire a slug or buckshot.Little true control caused the gun to "self eject" the spent hull upon discharge. Will never be much above 50-55% overall compared to pre-wreck days.

brent
Old May 31, 2011, 08:49 AM   #23
BigJimP

I don't know what a sand spur is ...but I'm guessing it isn't a good thing ...
Old May 31, 2011, 09:53 AM   #24
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

BJP,
The EVIL sand spur...

And in the green state...

In the green state, us redneck kids would pick them by the hundreds of stalks with enuff stalk to be a throwin' handle and play "sand spur war"... Just tossed by a little kid they ALWAYS stick to clothing and if close enuff... in skin too.

Nasty muthas to step on bare footed!

As you can see... the brick might be crap-able but along with these... a new meaning to burr under the blanket for sure!

Brent
Old May 31, 2011, 10:11 AM   #25
BigJimP

Interesting ...

Ok, so now I know ---she was absolutely impressed with your charm and logic ...

but maybe if she knows its something you really want --- she'll soften up a little ....