The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2011, 12:27 PM   #1
twins

Should a chronograph be part of the reloading toolbox?

If I'm reloading for hunting accuracy (ie, 2-3" groupings at 200 yards) using manufacturers' load data, any need for owning a chronograph?
Old April 18, 2011, 12:43 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

With todays ballistic programs out there the chronograph will add to your shooting. Right now your guessing at velocity for a certain bullet, you know where it hits at 200 yds. but have know idea the drop or rise at other ranges.

And it also puts many people in true perspective as to what their super loads are doing! That 4000fps special varment rig my be doing only 3200fps!!!

The chronograph will tell you many things.
Old April 18, 2011, 01:09 PM   #3
kraigwy

I think so.

I like to know what the bullets I load will do.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 18, 2011, 01:17 PM   #4
hogcowboy

I started reloading without one and it wasn't until I had one that I was able to see exactly what my loads were doing. Turned out I had it a point where I was just beating my pistol up and not achieving anymore velocity. A chrono definitely gives you the full picture.

American Legion Rider
Old April 18, 2011, 03:05 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Quote:
If I'm reloading for hunting accuracy (ie, 2-3" groupings at 200 yards) using manufacturers' load data, any need for owning a chronograph?
If all you care about is "2-3 inches @ 200 yds" hunting accuracy, and won't be shooting farther than ~200-250 yards.... A chronograph will be a waste of money.

For hunters, a chronograph isn't helpful until hunting conditions present the need for shots of 400+ yards, where trajectories and down-range velocities have to be known (or well predicted).

Even if your loads turn out to be dropping a bit more than expected, at any given range.... A few dollars worth of practice ammo, to learn that drop, is far cheaper than a chronograph. Twins, you sound like a low-volume shooter to me. I really don't think a chronograph would provide any real benefit.
Old April 18, 2011, 04:36 PM   #6
cryogenic419

Its not necessary but its nice to see what your loads are doing or not doing.
Old April 18, 2011, 05:08 PM   #7
TXJohn

It is in my range bags!!
Old April 18, 2011, 05:20 PM   #8
Dave R

I reloaded without one for a while.

Then I got one and loved the additional data.

Then I broke it and I've been doing without. I miss it an will get it fixed.

Bottom line--not necessary, but highly desirable.
Old April 18, 2011, 05:40 PM   #9
4runnerman

For load deveopment is is a have to. For just hunting like you said it is nice but not really needed. I would never go with out one any more,but im into long range accuracy on paper. if hunting is all your doing then store boought ammo is good enough.Millions of people hunt every year with store ammo and come home with deer. If your loading your own as you stated i would get one for sure. They can be had for cheap these days.
Old April 18, 2011, 06:32 PM   #10
5RWill

For shooting long range it's pretty necessary, especially to the reloader. Consider my load a 175gr load that from the manual says is at 2600fps with so many grains of powder. Well say you go by that but your loads are actually going 20fps faster. That results in almost 8" difference in elevation @ 1000yds. Now i realize not everyone is going to shoot a 1000yds, but most of the time my loads are a good bit faster/slower than what the manual says. You also have to consider the barrel length the manual tested at and your barrel length. So yes it's necessary IMO.

As 4runnerman said, for hunting it's not necessary but for LR shooting it's an absolute, especially if your picky about it like me. I want to be as accurate as humanly possible
Old April 18, 2011, 09:28 PM   #11
Gerry

Dave R, how did you break your chrono?

Mine broke too. My wife says I shot it, but the honest to God answer is that some mysterious force lowered my bullet between the front sensor to the rear, making it hit the rear top edge of the of the metal case on the F1 Chrony. It kinda works still, but I'm too embarrassed to take it to the range where others might see me with it in public.
Old April 18, 2011, 09:33 PM   #12
4runnerman

Mine broke too. My wife says I shot it, but the honest to God answer is that some mysterious force lowered my bullet between the front sensor to the rear, making it hit the rear top edge of the of the metal case on the F1 Chrony. It kinda works still, but I'm too embarrassed to take it to the range where others might see me with it in public

Gerry--Isn'nt that the one you bought from your friend for a real good price after he shot it
Old April 18, 2011, 09:39 PM   #13
jimbob86

Using a chrony will show you just how consistant your loads are for velocity.....
Old April 18, 2011, 09:42 PM   #14
jimbob86

.... and as jaguar noted, when shooting beyond PBR, you need to know how fast the bullet is going when it leaves the gun.... if you have the bullet's BC, and muzzle velocity, trajectory and wind drift are easily found.
Old April 18, 2011, 10:33 PM   #15
Edward429451

You think it's embarassing to show up with a dinged chrono? I got a good square hit on my front screen and sent my chrono flying off the table a few feet downrange, in front of a line full of shooters...Oh yeah, lots of laughs
Old April 19, 2011, 01:31 AM   #16
ragwd

+1 to what Jimbo said, I use mine to make sure I'm consistently send them down range at the same fps. Once I have my favorite load and I'm getting a consistent fps, I then leave the chrono at home until I decide to change something else.
Old April 19, 2011, 08:57 AM   #17
wncchester

Few of us true reloading geeks can imagine not having a chronograph. But, fact is, while they are lots of fun to play with, they certainly aren't a need. Knowing the velocity isn't critical, or even helpful, for obtaining good accuracy nor is knowing the exact speed/trajectory info really important inside maybe 250 yards when using most hunting cartridges.
Old April 19, 2011, 09:38 AM   #18
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Every well equiped reloaders toy box should have a Crony in it !
Old April 19, 2011, 10:27 AM   #19
kalevatom

I bought a chrony over the winter, but haven't used it yet. I've got it set up in the basement to get familiar with it. I want to see just what my loads are doing.
Old April 19, 2011, 11:26 AM   #20
farmerboy

I hear alot of people saying so you can know exactly the fps of your projectiles. Why is that so important? So you can calculate the drop when you stretch them out 400 yrds and plus? I dont know about you but you can do all your fancy calculations theoredically and thats basically all you are doing, just a fancy guess! take them to the range and find out for sure the true drop at different ranges. Maybe they're good for finding a certain fps are to show deviation on which will be a good round or an accurate charge? Thats a myth to me as well! I dont worry about fps, or deviation. I only am concerned with true accuracy and a chrony or fps cant tell you that. The only way is to take them to the range and find out for sure. But thats just my two cents worth...
Old April 19, 2011, 12:47 PM   #21
GWS

Quote:
I hear alot of people saying so you can know exactly the fps of your projectiles. Why is that so important? So you can calculate the drop when you stretch them out 400 yrds and plus? I dont know about you but you can do all your fancy calculations theoredically and thats basically all you are doing, just a fancy guess! take them to the range and find out for sure the true drop at different ranges. Maybe they're good for finding a certain fps are to show deviation on which will be a good round or an accurate charge? Thats a myth to me as well! I dont worry about fps, or deviation. I only am concerned with true accuracy and a chrony or fps cant tell you that. The only way is to take them to the range and find out for sure. But thats just my two cents worth...
I have to agree with what you said....and I've certainly gotten by without one for the first 40 years.

But on the other hand....I still want one....its just going to have to wait until I buy a few more guns first and improve on my supply of components which also comes first. Thing is, inexpensive Chonographs are a fairly recent blessing, and I aim to take advantage of it. I think they are time savers when analyzing a load, not replacements for shooting and measuring drop. And I think they are useful to compare your gun with the ones used making published load data.

I do want one where the more expensive guts are sitting on the bench next to me, safe from the dumb ass shot through the computer......the one I, and 90% of us are capable of.

For me it would be when....not if.
Old April 19, 2011, 12:59 PM   #22
5RWill

Quote:
I dont worry about fps, or deviation.
Then your not looking to get the most accuracy at long range. SD and ES are extremely important when wanting to make accurate shots at a distance.

Your right in the sense that actual data acquired in the field is much more valuable than theoretical data from a calculator but the calculator helps you to get there.
Old April 19, 2011, 01:11 PM   #23
Poodleshooter

I used mine quite a bit, till I discovered that the most statistically consistent load wasn't always the most accurate load inside of 300yds.

Since I've been using various "ladder/OCW" type methods for my rifle reloading, I've seldom bothered to chronograph my rifle loads. So long as they do well on paper at my chosen ranges, I'm content.

Now for handgun loads, I do use it a lot, but more as an investigative tool or for load development.

My vote is "handy,but not necessary".
Old April 19, 2011, 01:20 PM   #24
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodleshooter
My vote is "handy,but not necessary".

I feel the same as Poodleshooter. (I don't like Poodles either)

I have a CED MII, I really like it, it's added a lot of enojoyment to my shooting/reloading hobby, but I loaded for twenty years without one. It's a good tool, and the prices are pretty reasonable these days.
Old April 19, 2011, 01:34 PM   #25
PawPaw

A chronograph is as useful to a shooter as a scale is to a fisherman. If you're not interested in what it can tell you, then you don't need it.

I reloaded for several years before I got a chrony. My ammo did what I wanted it to do, so it didn't matter how fast it was going. Adding the chronograph simply added another layer of data for my hobby. I don't use a chronograph when working up a load, but I use it after I settle on a load, to record what that load is doing. Many times I'm surprised at the true velocity the load achieves.

For example, I thought that I had a good, accurate midrange load for .38 Special, so I sent some over the chronograph. Avg velocity was 660 fps. It's still a good accurate load, but I can't call it midrange.

There are only two types of chronograph owners. Those who have shot their chronograph and those who will shoot their chronograph.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com