The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 7, 2011, 06:22 PM   #1
texasoldiron

Hi-Standard Duramatic

Hi there. How do you remove the slide on a Duramatic .22lr? Thanks.
Old March 8, 2011, 02:36 AM   #2
LarryNTX

Pull back the slide and lock it open by putting the safety on.
Use a coin to unscrew the big screw in front of the trigger guard and remove the barrel.
Then hold the slide back, push the safety off, and ease the slide forward and off the frame.
Once the slide is off, don't pull the trigger or the striker will fly out.
If you want to remove that, push it back with one hand and pull the trigger and ease the striker and spring forward.
Old March 9, 2011, 10:30 AM   #3
texasoldiron

Duramatic dis-assembly

Sorry it took so long to get back, but we are dealing with some health issues. I was given the Duramatic from a friend that had it, along with others including a Colt Match Target, stored in a storage unit that flooded. It has rust and pitting. The slide was stuck on, and while trying to disloadge it, he peaned over the end of the slide. I filed down the areas, and the slide came off, after a fashion. But the plunger will not come out. I have tried pulling the trigger but plunger will not come out of the plunger housing. Does the plunger and spring just normally come out? Our could there be a problem with the sear that may be holding it in? I know it is not a valuable weapon, but I would like to and fix it, if possible. Thanks for any help.
Old March 9, 2011, 11:57 AM   #4
LarryNTX

With the slide off and the safety off, the plunger/striker should come out when the trigger is pulled. It's only held in by the sear. You should be able to push it back against the spring about a quarter of an inch and wiggle it around just a little. If it won't move at all, it probably has rust in there and you should soak it in penetrating oil for a while and try GENTLY tapping it backwards to see if it will free up.
If it's free, but won't release when the trigger is pulled with the safety off, the only other thing I can think of is the disconnector may be stuck in the down position. Make sure it's free to move up and down about a 1/16 of and inch.
The arrow in the picture shows the location of the disconnector. (That little hump ).

Last edited by LarryNTX; March 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old March 13, 2011, 08:16 PM   #5
texasoldiron

Hey again. I have done what you said, and the plunger still does not come out. I have shot some Baster in it. This stuff is great, as I have used it before on stuburn rusted things. I will let it soak for a couple of days, then see if the plunger will move then. Thanks again for your time and trouble. I will post again on Tuesday and let you know how it came out.
Old March 17, 2011, 10:20 PM   #6
texasoldiron

Well, it turned out to be a broken screw that held in the plunger housing. I do not think I am going to mess with it now. I am going to sell it for parts. Thanks again for the help.