The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 10, 2012, 04:23 AM   #1
firespec35

Will I be butchering a special revolver?

I inherited my grandfathers S&W model 10-5 5" barrel early last month. It's a beautiful gun but I don't see me using it much. I was thinking about having a gunsmith convert it to a snubby. I'm afraid of butchering the gun though. Especially since the bluing process used in 1971 was different than now. I won't get rid of the parts from the 5". I also am afraid of destroying the status of the gun. Even just thinking about it I can hear my grandfather's voice in the back of my head "Why are you f-ing with it, it worked just fine for me." Which then leads me to, do I just sell it and use the money to get something I would use. I don't know if I could bring myself to do that. I don't know, I'm so conflicted.

S&W 669
Old October 10, 2012, 04:51 AM   #2
Laz

I don't know your circumstances and can't make your decisions, but I would leave it just like it is. Had you not inherited it, how would you have acquired a snubby? Would you have? I would deal with the snubby question as if the inheritance had never happened and keep your grandfather's revolver as a home defense revolver, a memento, and the classic that it is.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:15 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

I wouldn't butcher it by converting it to a snub. That will also destroy any value it will have.

If you do need another gun selling it is a better choice although I'd be hard pressed to sell a family heirloom.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Quincunx

Just a suggestion, but I would listen to your granddad. In retrospect, I wish I had listened to mine a bit more often while I had him with me. Keep it and find a good used 2" Model 10 of a similar vintage to keep his gun company through the years.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Jayhawkhuntclub

Model 10s are a dime a dozen. Don't get me wrong. They are fantastic. But you can buy them amazingly cheap, especially if you can find dept of correction turn in guns. About a month ago Outdooor Super Store had them for $209 and free shipping! These were in pretty decent shape too. SO, if it were me, I'd look for a snub to keep yours company or buy a cheap beater to rework. Keep your heirloom as it is.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:47 AM   #6
Baba Louie

5" Model 10s, while not rare exactly, are oft coveted, much like 3" by serious collectors, for a reason.

Modding Grandfathers heirloom... well, that's your call, but I'd leave it just as Grandpa shot it last and smile every time I take it to the range or do the fondle clean put back in safe thing.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old October 10, 2012, 09:06 AM   #7
Jim Watson

I wouldn't, because:

1. By the time you find and buy a 2" barrel, extractor rod, and center pin; and pay a gunsmith to properly install them, you will have spent nearly enough for a second gun. Maybe leave out the "nearly".

2. A 2" K frame is still not a small gun and is not an optimum "snubby." I have a Model 12 that does not get out often becaus of its bulk, even though it is light in weight.
Old October 10, 2012, 09:22 AM   #8
CajunBass

Sure. Go ahead. It was just your grandfathers. Those are what? A dime a dozen?
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 10, 2012, 09:55 AM   #9
Jayhawkhuntclub

Quote:
Sure. Go ahead. It was just your grandfathers. Those are what? A dime a dozen?
You do realize I told him NOT to do it? Using my words makes me think that was directed at me and that you didn't finish reading my post.
Old October 10, 2012, 10:05 AM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think CajunBass was being a bit sarcastic.

Jim
Old October 10, 2012, 10:22 AM   #11
Skans

If you modify it to a snubby, are you going to use it/carry it?

Here's the deal. Let's say I had a grandson who inherited my Ruger LC9 after I croak in 2070. He decided to upgrade it by installing a ceramic barrel, new springs and re-finish the slide to get make it look nicer - oh, and he plans on actually carrying that gun (in my 2070 world 2nd A's far outnumber the antis). I'd be smiling from my grave - might even wonder why he hasn't installed one of those new auto-aiming devices.

Now, if my grandson decides to gold plate my Hi-Power, or glue garnets on my Steyr GB, I'm going to make it KABOOM on him!
Old October 10, 2012, 11:51 AM   #12
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
1. By the time you find and buy a 2" barrel, extractor rod, and center pin; and pay a gunsmith to properly install them, you will have spent nearly enough for a second gun. Maybe leave out the "nearly".
This really hits it on the head. You may find a model 10 snub for less than it would cost to convert. I am very unsentimental about these things, so I would probably just sell it and buy a concealed carry gun I liked, but others feel differently.
Old October 10, 2012, 11:58 AM   #13
Budda

Just wipe it down with a light oil, put it in the safe and forget about it, I talked to you 20 years from now and you (20yrs older) told me to tell you not to modify or sell it, your future you will thank you.

(destroyed my time machine after this trip, sorry...no stock tips)
Old October 10, 2012, 12:24 PM   #14
JWT

If you want a snub nosed, buy a used one but leave Gramps' gun as it is. Preserves the value and the sentiment.
Old October 10, 2012, 12:30 PM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Just wipe it down with a light oil, put it in the safe and forget about it
Oh, heck no. I'd definitely shoot it.

However, I wouldn't alter it. 5" models are getting scarce, and they really do have a unique balance.
Old October 10, 2012, 01:33 PM   #16
BigJimP

Altering it is a really bad idea.... +1 to Jim Watson's post...

If you do alter it like that...it'll effectively reduce its value to zero.../ and that would be sad. Why not just appreciate it for what it is .....and if you want something else, either sell it - if you don't want to keep it - or keep it and buy something else.

It doesn't have a lot of resale value anyway ...as is .../ but in a 5" its a little bit unique.
Old October 10, 2012, 02:26 PM   #17
Jayhawkhuntclub

Quote:
I think CajunBass was being a bit sarcastic.

Jim
Old October 10, 2012, 07:57 PM   #18
Glenn Dee

If it's a family hairloom I'd leave it alone...

That being said... I picked up an old whakenhut security Co. Model 10, with a 5" pencil barrel. The gun had a nickel finish.

I rounded the frame at the grip, cut the 5" barrel down to be flush with the ejector rod lock and crowned it. Sent out the frame to have the nickle stripped. My buddy had been experimenting with some bluing techniques. He blued it a kind of royal blue then blued the hammer and trigger very dark blue. I then polished the nickle cylinder, and ejector rod. Put a small shotgun BB on as a front sight. I'll find the before and after pictures and post them. It came out looking nothing like it started... But it is a good looking two tone shooter.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:08 PM   #19
royal barnes

If it were mine I would get some 158 grain lead bullets and see how small a group I could shoot on paper at 10-15 yards. Then I'd clean and oil it, and put it away. Save the money you were going to spend to "bugger" it and buy yourself the snubbie of your choice. This one belonged to your grandfather!
Old October 10, 2012, 08:26 PM   #20
CajunBass

Quote:
You do realize I told him NOT to do it? Using my words makes me think that was directed at me and that you didn't finish reading my post.
Why would you think I replied to your post?

You didn't ask the question.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 10, 2012, 11:57 PM   #21
JC57

Firespec35:

You can find plenty of used 2" K-frame S&W revolvers. Model 10 and 64 both came in round-butt 2" and 3" with fixed sights, the Model 15 came in a 2" square-butt with adjustable sights, model 12s were airweights in 2" both round and square butt, and then there were the 3" model 13s and 65s, and the 2.5" 66s and 19s.

Look on Gunbroker or check around pawn shops. I'd leave that 10-5 5" just as it is.
Old October 11, 2012, 01:33 AM   #22
FloridaVeteran

I've got a slew of grandchildren and will pass my guns to those, and their parents, who show a sincere interest in shooting. But I'd be mighty disappointed to know that any of them chopped one up. Said otherwise, I'd have left it to one of the others had I known.
Old October 11, 2012, 01:43 AM   #23
Crazy88Fingers

Too many snubbies already out there to go through the trouble of making another. Besides, it may end up costing you more to have your gun converted than to just buy one.
Old October 11, 2012, 05:24 AM   #24
Hal

Quote:
Even just thinking about it I can hear my grandfather's voice in the back of my head "Why are you f-ing with it, it worked just fine for me." Which then leads me to, do I just sell it and use the money to get something I would use. I don't know if I could bring myself to do that. I don't know, I'm so conflicted.
I'm 60 and probably headed for the old dirt nap before too many Springs come around.

I don't give a hoot what anybody does with any of the stuff I've gathered over the years.

There are some exceptions though - stuff passed along to me by my dad, father in law, aunts and grandparents.
That stuff stays 100% intact or someones going to get their ass haunted big time...
Old October 11, 2012, 06:54 AM   #25
45_auto

Quote:
Which then leads me to, do I just sell it and use the money to get something I would use.
How hard up for money are you? Will $300 or $400 make that big of a difference in your life? If so, maybe you should think about dropping the $100/month cable or $100/month cell phone for a while ....