The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 25, 2012, 12:14 AM   #1
Sweet Shooter

Remove replace action. Rifle with Irons POI change?

Would you expect that removing and replacing a well bedded action in a wooden stock to show a POI change when re assembled? Rifle has rugged dependable irons on the barrel that have been staked. Barrel is fully floated generously all the way to the chamber/action join so there's no fore-end pressure to get right. I Re-torqued action in stock as tight as I could muster with hand tools... as I always have.

Wondering what to expect...
Thoughts?
-SS-
Old September 25, 2012, 12:46 AM   #2
math teacher

In my experience it does change the point of impact. Not everything should be tightened down as hard as you can get it either. The tention on the action screws may not be exactly what they were before. They should be torqued to the manufactures specifications. However don't be too quick to change the sight settings. After a few shots it may return to the same point. I used to take my rifle out of its stock after every hunting seqason to treat any hidden rust. When I resighted I would start adjusting after a couple of shots. After a box of cartridges I would have it on and discover that the scope settings were back to where they started. My friends also played that game. Finally we learned not to touch the scope adjustments until three consecutive shots went to the same place. Amazing how long it took us to learn that lesson, but at least we had a lot of fun.

Last edited by math teacher; September 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old September 25, 2012, 01:10 AM   #3
mete

I did a test once , comparing my glass bedded custom M98 and a new Rem 700. Mine shot to original POI immediately when returned to the stock. The 700 returned to original POI after about six rounds .
I would assume this is typical .
Glass bedding is a good idea to strenghten the stock, resist warping from humidity changes ,and returning to POI after removing the action.
Old September 25, 2012, 06:31 AM   #4
jmr40

Sometmes, sometimes not. After I confirm zero on my hunting rifles I will not remove the action from the stock until after hunting season unless it is an emergency.

After the season is over they are broken down for a good cleaning. After putting them back together in rare cases I may need to fire a few rounds to get the accuracy I was getting before, but I've never had to make scope adjustments.

Most of the time there are no changes at all. But I'd not trust the gun until I'd fired a few shots just to confirm that everyhing is OK. The key is to put everything back together correctly and tighten the action screws in the right sequnce and to the proper torque the same way every time.
Old September 25, 2012, 08:03 AM   #5
RevGeo

Shoot it and find out, I guess. It's probably changed a little.

George
Old September 25, 2012, 04:36 PM   #6
30Cal

Depends on the rifle and whether you torque the screws the same.
Old September 25, 2012, 05:20 PM   #7
coyota1

It is amazing how much POI can change with how the barrel and action contact the stock. I have my rifles bedded, and I rarely remove the action from the stock for this reason. Benchrest shooters actually glue in the action to the stock. I would be surprised if your POI didn't change after removing, and putting it back together. This is something to expect if you ask me.
Old September 25, 2012, 08:30 PM   #8
Mobuck

I have several bolt action rifle that suffer different amounts of impact change after a complete disassembly. Some return after a few shots and others don't.
Old September 25, 2012, 08:35 PM   #9
coyota1

I have seen this happen to 10 22's.
Old September 26, 2012, 12:34 AM   #10
Sweet Shooter

Well.. the thing that intrigues me is that with iron sights... being directly attached to the completely floating barrel, so not the action, they should "follow" any changes that happen during the re-torquing. Essentially what we are doing is removing the wooden "handle" and replacing it in a bedding that fits like a glove. It should not move... I will try it this weekend.
-SS-
Old September 26, 2012, 04:58 AM   #11
geetarman

Quote:
Well.. the thing that intrigues me is that with iron sights... being directly attached to the completely floating barrel, so not the action, they should "follow" any changes that happen during the re-torquing.

I think they probably do. I suspect the contact of the stock with the barrel is what gets changed and that relationship is the root of the POI changes.

Just my opinion though.

The only gun I have ever taken out of the stock is my M1A and it took a few shots to get it back to normal. It has been a long time since I have done that and I don't plan on doing it any time soon.

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 26, 2012, 06:43 AM   #12
jmr40

There is no reason the POI should change unless the person putting the stock back on does something seriously wrong. The accuracy may suffer temporarily because the rifle may need a few shots for the action to settle back into the exact spot in the stock.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:04 AM   #13
coyota1

Unless you use a torque wrench, the tension on the screw will be a little different, which can cause a POI change.
Old September 26, 2012, 11:44 AM   #14
tobnpr

Properly bedded, and with action screws torqued to the same values, I would see little reason for a significant shift in poi.

You said "always have"- so you've removed the action from the stock before, replaced it, and have not had this issue?

I said "properly bedded" because a poorly done bedding job can actually introduce-rather than relieve- stress in the receiver and cause poi shifts.
Old September 26, 2012, 01:24 PM   #15
Sweet Shooter

Quote:
tobnpr
Properly bedded, and with action screws torqued to the same values, I would see little reason for a significant shift in poi.

You said "always have"- so you've removed the action from the stock before, replaced it, and have not had this issue?

I said "properly bedded" because a poorly done bedding job can actually introduce-rather than relieve- stress in the receiver and cause poi shifts.
"Always have" = on any rifle even with scope.
"Properly bedded" — I did a bang up job on this one. I put pillars in front and rear, but only bedded the chamber and the recoil lug. We'll see...
-SS-
Old September 26, 2012, 03:03 PM   #16
coyota1

Sometimes the variables can be obscure. That is why a glue in is necessary for bench rifle.