The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2010, 12:48 AM   #1
J4ckBurt0n

Looking for help reloading 45 long colt with Magtech 250gr lead flat nose bullets

I own a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible with a 5.5" barrel and am looking at reloading as 45 LC is getting hard to come by these days.

I am relatively new to reloading but have successfully reloaded 45 ACP and 22-250 in a couple of different flavors. I have the gear (mixture of RCBS press and Lee carbide dies)

The loads that I am looking at are Remmington Brass, Alliant Red Dot, CCI primers and Magtech 250gr LFN bullets.

I have tried to seat the bullet a number of times (non-charged, non-primed rounds) for test and have not been overly successful. I have used the sizing the appropriate sizing dies.

The problem that I have is that the lead seems to want to smash over the outside of the brass leaving a small amount on the outside of the casing below the top. I cannot figure out how to remedy this or if it is supposed to do this and I am supposed to remove the "excess" lead.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
J4ck
Old March 13, 2010, 01:16 AM   #2
zippy13

Greetings J4ckBurt0n and welcome aboard,

If I understand you correctly, you're having a problem common when switching form jacketed rifle loading to soft lead pistols. I suspect you're not giving the case mouth enough flare(bell). The case is too tight and shaves off a little lead as you seat the bullet. With big pistol cases, it's not unusual to flare more than would be expected by folks with small caliber bottle neck case experience. Check out some of the YouTubes on loading .44s and .45s with LRNs with an eye for the amount of flare. Fear not, lower your expander, seat you bullet and then straighten the case with the crimp die. If your die set seats and crimps in one die, then you'll have to play with the adjustments. Start by dropping the bullet punch a few turns and backing off the die by the same amount. (I'm assuming you have the correct punch end profile, and it's not an incorrect punch end that's removing the excess lead.)
Old March 13, 2010, 07:51 AM   #3
ligonierbill

+1 I've had that problem myself. You try to minimize the flare and end up with too little. Enjoy the .45. Extremely versatile for the handloader.
Old March 13, 2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Uncle Buck

Too Funny! Not laughing at you, but I had the exact opposite when reloading .38 specials.

I was used to reloading the .45LC and my first batch was shaving lead. I increased the amount of flare (lowered the expander) and problem solved.

When I began reloading .38 Special, I put to much flare on the case and my bullets were just dropping in, then I could not get them to into the seating crimping die because the brass was too wide.

So from my personal experience, I also tend to agree with the guys above.
Old March 13, 2010, 10:56 AM   #5
hammie

Mr. Uncle Buck: Please don't think I'm a troll, but I do follow your posts, and you are extremely knowledgeable and I've learned a lot from you. Matter of fact I consider you an experet, which is why I was puzzled when you referred to the .45 colt as the .45 LONG colt. That implies that there was a .45 SHORT colt. I don't think there was one. (And no, the .45 schofield/S&W was not a short colt. It was a cartridge in its own right.)
Old March 13, 2010, 11:04 AM   #6
J4ckBurt0n

Thank you all for the input

First and foremost, thank you all for the advice. I will try it out today and let you know.

Regards,
J4ck
Old March 13, 2010, 12:54 PM   #7
zippy13

hammie,
The term "LC" or "Long Colt" is used by many: Uncle Buck, the OP and myself included. Check out the thread .45 acp & .45 lc. Just using "45 colt" may get you LCs in one circle and ACPs in another.

Last edited by zippy13; March 13, 2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old March 13, 2010, 05:02 PM   #8
J4ckBurt0n

Thanks again...

The Lee die instructions called for running the die all the way to the shell holder and then backing it out a full turn. I ended up backing it out a half turn and it fixed the problem. Bullets seated very nicely. Looking forward to putting some of them through the Blackhawk and the 1894.

Thanks again for the advice.

Hammie, I agree on the 45 colt comment. There is no current 45 short colt round and there is substantial debate as to whether or not there ever was. I think that Long Colt has just become a commonplace name for the round over the years. I often refer to them either way.
Old March 13, 2010, 09:08 PM   #9
Uncle Buck

Hammie, I am a long way from an expert and according to my wife, even further from the Mr part (assuming Mister is a form of respect). But she still loves me anyway.

I use the term Long Colt because I have ended up with .45 ACP rounds or info when I ask for .45 colt. It helps clarify the conversation and make sure we are on the same page.

You are right about the Long vs. Short discussion, but I see it as the Vaquero and the New Vaquero issue. Technically there was no Old Vaquero, just an older style Vaquero. But if you fire some of the powder charges that were used in the Vaquero in the New Vaquero, you could do some damage.

Also, Colt list 'Long Colt' on their website.
Old March 16, 2010, 02:31 AM   #10
hammie

Sorry, I was gone for the weekend. To continue beating the dead horse: You're correct. Colt does refer to the cartridge as the .45 long colt. Ruger and USFA use the .45 colt nomenclature. I remember an old yellow and white winchester cartridge box, that I bought in the late 60's (I just gave my age away) that had .45 LONG colt on the end flap. That still doesn't make it right. You can't have a long colt without a short colt. I've never experienced any confusion (well, maybe at wal-mart) using the .45 colt and 45 ACP terminology. If we can get the european metrics right, then this should be a piece of cake. I hope I didn't offend Mr. Uncle Buck (the movie with john candy is one of my favorites). I was raised under southern influence and everyone was referred as "mr.", "sir" or "ma'am", or I got backhanded by my father, and no, I did not hate my father or become scarred for life. Mr. Buck: I see you're from Missouri and I hope you're doing fine. I went to school there (Rolla) and loved the state. I bought my first centerfire there, a .222 remington. This was before the gun control act of '68 and no one gave a non-resident any problems with the purchase of a long arm. To keep this on point with the re-loading theme, I used a lyman tong tool and IMR 4198 for the .222. By the third re-loading, I had to close the bolt with a rubber mallet.
Old March 16, 2010, 05:16 AM   #11
sourdough44

Back in the 1870s the Army had the 45 Colt & 45 Schofield in use at the same time. The 45 Schofield would work fine in the 45 colt, but not the other way around. At the time they differentiated by asking for the 'long colt'. No there was never an official 'short colt' but the 45 Schofield & 45 colt is similar to the 38/357 relationship. There is a writeup in the Sierra #5 reloading manual about this.

Anyway, I agree you may need a touch more 'belling', just take it out later with your Lee FCD.
My current project is 45 Colt & 45 Schofield reloading.

Another thing you can do is add a slight bevel on the inside of the mouth with your 'champher/debur' tool. Yes it will take a moment but it should help the bullet sliding in.

Last edited by sourdough44; March 16, 2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old March 16, 2010, 05:22 AM   #12
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammie
You can't have a long colt without a short colt.
Why not?
We have Long John Silver without a Short John Silver and long ago without short ago. I've been to the Long Beach in California and Long Island in New York, but I've never heard of Short Beach or Short Island. Can't I be happy with a Long Colt without having a Short Colt?
Old March 16, 2010, 01:32 PM   #13
hammie

Mr. Sourdough: That's exactly my point. It would be wrong to call the .44 S&W special the .44 russian long, and the .44 remington magnum, the .44 russian extra long. Although I guess if you really wanted to do that, then why not? All three are distinct cartridges with different dimensions and pressure levels.

Tags
45lc , lead , magtech , problem , reloading