The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 24, 2015, 11:13 AM   #1
brentfoto

PRP reduced trigger and sear springs XD9

Hello-

In lieu of spending full amount for PRP trigger kit mod, I bought the reduced trigger and sear springs for the XD9.

In the past I was able to switch out the stock trigger spring for the PRP reduced one myself, but consider replacing the sear spring beyond my mechanical ability.

In solely replacing that trigger spring measured pull was reduced from 6 lbs. to 5 lbs.

Has anyone here switched out both trigger spring and sear spring only (no kit)?

If so, and you have measured your pull with both trigger and sear springs installed, please comment on your pull and weight and whether you think it would be worth it to install both.

If so, I'll have to make a trip to bring them to my gunsmith and have him switch out both on a new XD9 Tactical.

Thanks in advance.
Old February 24, 2015, 01:41 PM   #2
Scorch

We switch out a lot of them in our shop. Factory triggers on the XDs are just too heavy, afterwards you get about 4.5 lbs with the PRP kit.
Old February 25, 2015, 02:19 AM   #3
brentfoto

Well, when I purchased it was not a kit, now it is, but I think the kit to which you refer costs well over $100.00..

Here is what I purchased:

http://shop.powderriverprecision.net...c?productId=12

Thanks for your input, Scorch.

PRP claims on that listing page pull will be reduced to 3.5-4.0 lbs., which has prompted this thread.

I was kind of disappointed that your measured pulls were 4.5 lbs. I usually get 5.0 lbs. measured with just the trigger spring replacement.

Any other comments are welcome.
Old February 25, 2015, 08:37 PM   #4
Scorch

Yes, the higher priced kits come with a new sear and trigger as well as a the springs, but the sear/dismantle spring kits will reduce your trigger pull, they are lighter springs.
Old February 25, 2015, 10:04 PM   #5
brentfoto

Yes, I understand that. I'm just trying to determine if it's worth the drive, time and expense to the gunsmith to install both. As I stated in the OP, I can replace the trigger spring myself and save all that.

If other potential posters here are getting 3.5-4.0 lbs. with the trigger and sear springs replaced, I will likely have the gunny replace both. If their answers are similar to yours at 4.5 lbs. I will probably install the trigger spring myself and be done with it.

Using a Lyman digital gauge my NIB XD9 Tactical is averaging 6 lbs. 7 oz. with gun flat on its side and some pulls with it upright. I was just messing around and not trying to minimize pull per se. Still, it's less than 6.5 lbs. Manufacturer represents that pull may vary from 5.5-7.7 lbs.

Maybe some others will chime in.

Last edited by brentfoto; February 25, 2015 at 10:39 PM.