The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 11, 2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Bob Wright

Rapid Repair!......

This afternoon I came across some data that would date my Uberti Flat Top Target. I pulled it out to check, and as I cleared it I noticed the cylinder not locking up. This told me I likely had a broken bolt spring. So, out to the shop and digging into its innards I found sure enough the bolt spring was broken. Unusual break, in that the leg was not broken, but the break ran from the bolt hole through the crotch between the legs. I had a replacement (from a repair ca. 1978 of an Iver Johnson Cattleman when I had ordered a spare) and had it in place shortly. Time from diagnosis to working again was less than twenty minutes!

The gun dates from 2003, incidentally.

Bob Wright
Old February 12, 2013, 02:57 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Sometimes springs do that. If you ever need a bigger flat spring made, come out to Collierville!
Old February 13, 2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Bob Wright

After replacing that bolt/trigger spring, I lookd more closely at the one I removed. The slot does not appear to be a fracture line but rather made that way.

Apparently it was made in this fashion to make the trigger leg more flexible (extra length) and therefore lighter. The new spring places more tension on the trigger and sort of acts as a trigger stop and minimizes overtravel.

Ths side that activates the locking bolt just seems to have lost tension, enough so as to prevent positive lock-up

My guesses, anyway.

Bob Wright