The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 18, 2010, 12:12 PM   #51
Blue Steel

Quote:
My gut feeling turned out to be fairly on.
Excellent point made here about instincts, and I would encourage everyone to read "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker.

As far as the thread question, I think that the individual situation will dictate your actions. Generally I would say to practice situational awareness, avoidance, and do not be afraid to challenge someone if you feel you need to. Criminals are looking for the weak and unprepared because they are easy to take advantage of. If you are aware and present yourself as confident, you will avoid most negative interactions.

Those who are physically able should have some basic foundation in open-hand defense techniques. Michael Janich teaches a very basic form of overhand strikes he calls "cycling" that is easy to learn. You don't have to be a black belt in Judo (while that would be nice), you just need to make sure you have some options for defending yourself from a non-lethal threat.
Old February 18, 2010, 06:32 PM   #52
BGutzman

When you can say I feared for my life as any reasonable person would have under the circumstances.
AND
I could not retreat or I was retreating
AND
the BG(s) had the means to greviously harm or kill me
AND
the danger way imminent and there was no other alternative

when you get to this unfortunate point
lase (Laser) and blaze with the minimum amount of force necessary to stop the threat.

call the police (before someone else does)
aid the wounded (as your state may require)

await your arrest until it all gets sorted out.

Old February 20, 2010, 07:02 PM   #53
waterfowler

A police officer said if you feel that your life is in immediate danger, draw your weapon. give him a verbal command, and if they still persist fire